DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

Reaction Score
Hmm, or maybe she was asked to give her decision on TV and accepted the offer. How often does this happen for women and girls playing basketball, or sports in general? She’s from San Diego, and San Diego’s Fox affiliate wants to give media attention to a local athlete.

I wonder if this “diva” term was used when Katie Lou spent most of her WNBA season pouting and thinking she “needed to play” as opposed to her team thinking she needed to be developed. Which of course led to her mother mouthing off on Twitter. I’m sure the term wasn’t used then, so why is it a thing now?

Reaction Score
Whats the age cut off for that? Is there also an age cut off for calling kids divas as well?
There’s no cut off age but I feel like when you’re 22, 23 or one of the older college athletes and have graduated and pursuing grad school, I would think that kind of thing like a top 3 or recruitment excitement doesn’t really phase you like a high school kid who may be a sophomore or 15 yrs old. As far as the diva comment, I didn’t say that.

Reaction Score
There’s no cut off age but I feel like when you’re 22, 23 or one of the older college athletes and have graduated and pursuing grad school, I would think that kind of thing like a top 3 or recruitment excitement doesn’t really phase you like a high school kid who may be a sophomore or 15 yrs old. As far as the diva comment, I didn’t say that.

Announcements of finalists happens all the time on the men’s side regardless of age. Since this season ended, I can’t tell you the amount of articles I’ve seen of a male player’s preferred transfer destinations because it’s been so many. By no means is she Lebron James or Kevin Durant, but we knew their finalists during their free agencies as well. LeBron had a whole ESPN special to announce his destination the first time. Was he “too old” for that?

Are the players that publish their life experiences and testimonies in the Players’ Tribune “too old” for that, too?

We can’t demand equal coverage and attention for female athletes then insinuate they are immature or self absorbed when they get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And LeBron got brutally skewered for that. Diva not inappropriate there either, or at least it represented the general sentiment.

And the special still went on to be the most watched cable show of the night. Whether people thought it was unnecessary or not, they still watched. Also, just because her hometown actually cares about her basketball career enough to ask her to make a TV appearance doesn’t make her a diva. That actually makes her marketable, which probably is why the offer to be on the station was presented to her.

But again, was Katie Lou a diva for complaining to her mother about a lack of playing time? Or for her dissatisfaction with the role her organization was expecting her to play? Or do these sort of things seemingly get ignored if the player went to UConn?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW, she recently followed several Baylor WBB associate accounts including Baylor WBB and Kim Mulkey's Twitter. Usually recruits make it harder to read by following all the schools/coaches in question, but I'm 99.9% sure it's Baylor after seeing that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As one of many “older” prognosticators that frequent the BY, I can only say that when I was in my early 20’s, back in the Dark Ages, I am sure that I made more than my share of questionable decisions. Fortunately for me, social media didn’t exist back then, unless you count the telegraph.

Just a thought. How about we all sit back and allow DiJonai Carrington to make her decision in her own way and then wish her well wherever she ends up? :oops:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
While playing time is important as she needs to demonstrate her health. But, if I were in her shoes, the primary decision is where am I going to be the most prepared for the WNBA draft. It's all about the benjamins and where do I improve my stock. The TV and IG announcements is just about building her name recognition and creating brand. If she presents a sweet, humble, happy, excited attitude during the TV, she won't appear to be a diva but a likeable young lady.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a reminder. A year ago, many BY’ers felt that Evina, as well as her mom, both fit the same characterization that some are now making about Carrington. Since Evina arrived in Storrs, she has been a model citizen about whom Geno has had nothing but complimentary things to say.

On the current 10 player roster, with no other seniors, is there any UConn fan that actually believes the Huskies are better off without Evina?

Reaction Score
I guess everybody is just different. I’m only 27 and I don’t really care for that kind of attention at all, but then again I don’t have a spotlight on me lol. I’m sure some of you would have a different opinion had UConn not been one of the finalists but carry on ....

Reaction Score
Just a reminder. A year ago, many BY’ers felt that Evina, as well as her mom, both fit the same characterization that some are now making about Carrington. Since Evina arrived in Storrs, she has been a model citizen about whom Geno has had nothing but complimentary things to say.

On the current 10 player roster, with no other seniors, is there any UConn fan that actually believes the Huskies are better off without Evina?
This is the boneyard. Evinas worth will be judged by her contributions on the court and/or bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, what some people are saying is that they wish we would use a roster spot for someone we will have for a single year, who has a history of injuries, and might or might not see a lot of playing time. Again, I would rather have a four year recruit who I have followed for two or three years in high school and on their various clubs. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. With Geno they have a long history of working out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I want to throw out one additional point. 538 has suggested that Paige’s social media presence is worth $600,000+ per year. Paige, along with her BFF, are ubiquitous on the internet. In this day and age, when college athletes will soon be able to market themselves for $$$, it’s a bit unrealistic for us to expect talented athletes to quietly plod along, while their universities rake in millions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, what some people are saying is that they wish we would use a roster spot for someone we will have for a single year, who has a history of injuries, and might or might not see a lot of playing time. Again, I would rather have a four year recruit who I have followed for two or three years in high school and on their various clubs. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. With Geno they have a long history of working out.
That's not an accurate reflection of where UCONN WBB is right now. The UCONN roster for next year stands at 11. UCONN already has 5 four year recruits coming in this fall. Four year recruits to play in the 20-21 season (if there is going to be one) are no longer available. What is available are players like Carrington that are transferring with immediate eligibility and experience. UCONN can stand back and watch Carrington go to a school like Baylor or it can engage and hope she picks UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's not an accurate reflection of where UCONN WBB is right now. The UCONN roster for next year stands at 11. UCONN already has 5 four year recruits coming in this fall. Four year recruits to play in the 20-21 season (if there is going to be one) are no longer available. What is available are players like Carrington that are transferring with immediate eligibility and experience. UCONN can stand back and watch Carrington go to a school like Baylor or it can engage and hope she picks UCONN.
A slight correction. Subject to Carrington’s decision, UConn’s roster currently stands at 10 including 1 player who is coming off of 2 knee surgeries and two players who can hopefully find a way to get from Europe back into the U.S. before the season starts.

Reaction Score
As far as I know, this is the first TV announcement for a grad year commitment, men or women, nevermind a one hour post-announcement analysis. I hope it's not a precedent.
All the power to her as long as she understands that a TV announcement doesnt automatically translate to starting spot, lots of playing time, and big offensive role. TV announcement or not, if she comes to UConn she'll have to work her tail off and earn everything. I'm sure that was made abundantly clear during Geno's recruiting pitch to her; team success does not take a backseat to a single player's. No sulking or whining if things dont work out according to her expectations.

Reaction Score
I would say she is likely going to Baylor at this point and I don't follow Baylor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As far as I know, this is the first TV announcement for a grad year commitment, men or women, nevermind a one hour post-announcement analysis. I hope it's not a precedent.
All the power to her as long as she understands that a TV announcement doesnt automatically translate to starting spot, lots of playing time, and big offensive role. TV announcement or not, if she comes to UConn she'll have to work her tail off and earn everything. I'm sure that was made abundantly clear during Geno's recruiting pitch to her; team success does not take a backseat to a single player's. No sulking or whining if things dont work out according to her expectations.
Geno probably just told her to read the Boneyard, since everyone here knows more than he does.

Reaction Score
I want to throw out one additional point. 538 has suggested that Paige’s social media presence is worth $600,000+ per year. Paige, along with her BFF, are ubiquitous on the internet. In this day and age, when college athletes will soon be able to market themselves for $$$, it’s a bit unrealistic for us to expect talented athletes to quietly plod along, while their universities rake in millions.
With all the social media and presence and national exposure Paige has, she didn’t even announce a top 5, she just out of nowhere announced on IG

Reaction Score
I don't know why some cast aspersions on folks that they don't even know. I do not see a diva at all. In fact I see a fighter and hardworker who has battled back from 5 knee surgeries and graduated from Stanford with two degree's. I also hope that she chooses UConn, her experience alone would be valuable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom