Did i lose my man card? | The Boneyard

Did i lose my man card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE last night and got teary eyed and a lump in the throat at the end when George realized what was important in life. Never seen the film until last year for the first time and thought it was good but last night i was really surprised by my reaction to the film. i feel like a wuss. must watch football all weekend to redeem myself lol!

Reaction Score
Perhaps. I always keep a raw onion around to chew on as snack food for certain (i.e. those) type of movies. I always know when to bite using no fukkin tissues.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Saw it for the first time last night. Yeah, first time. Donna Reed was smoking. I laughed at the two characters named Burt and Ernie. They were named after muppets? Hard to see Stewart as a 20-something. Hollywood ending.

Decent movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great movie. Required watching in our house every year. Gets me every time.

Still wondering when we're going to see the sequel where old man Potter gets busted for stealing the $8K.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Still wondering when we're going to see the sequel where old man Potter gets busted for stealing the $8K.

We watch the 24 hours of Christmas Story in our house.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We watch the 24 hours of Christmas Story in our house.
Also a favorite of mine, but for some reason no one else in the family likes it. Maybe it's because I only have daughters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dove and I had this conversation already, but...

1) Bert and Ernie. No - pure coincidence.

2) I don't mind It's a Wonderful Life, but George Bailey strikes me as an . He yells, he throws rocks, he grabs chicks, etc. The guy is a menace!

3) And Jimmy Stewart's range as an actor was limited to acting like Jimmy Stewart.

Here's a question -

Does anyone feel like Jacob Marley just got f---ed raw in A Christmas Carol?

He comes back from the grave to warn Ebeneezer about the walking the earth with chains thing. He sets up the three ghosts, salvages Scrooge's soul and by extension, saves Tiny Tim.

It's really all rather heroic.

His reward?

A big bowl of f--- off. Not a crumb of Christmas happiness is set aside for Jacob.

It's a screw job.

Reaction Score

2) I don't mind It's a Wonderful Life, but George Bailey strikes me as an . He yells, he throws rocks, he grabs chicks, etc. The guy is a menace!

3) And Jimmy Stewart's range as an actor was limited to acting like Jimmy Stewart.

Here's a question -

He comes back from the grave to warn Ebeneezer about the walking the earth with chains thing. He sets up the three ghosts, salvages Scrooge's soul and by extension, saves Tiny Tim.

His reward?

A big bowl of f--- off. Not a crumb of Christmas happiness is set aside for Jacob.

It's a screw job.

I smell a sequel

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Here's a question -

His reward?

It's a screw job.

George Bailey is supposed to be human, i.e., perfectly imperfect. What you see is him cracking under the stress of feeling like he got the royal screw job by having to forgo his own big dreams to reluctantly run the family business with which he has a love/hate relationship. When Uncle Billy screws the pooch by unknowingly handing Potter the $8K he was supposed to deposit, it's finally too much for George--he blew his dreams and he blew the family business. The point of the movie is to show him--and thereby all other working stiffs like most of us--that what may seem a life of quiet desperation is really a wonderful thing. Like most great old movies--and religions--it's opiate for the masses.

That said, I have to admit that the thing that seems to surprise me every year is that I forget how hot Donna Reed was.

Jimmy Stewart definitely typifies that perfectly imperfect lead male character imo. He gets a lifetime achievement award in that category from me for his role in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, one of my all-time faves.

As for Marley, it's Dickens. What the duck do you expect? If he was writing it today Marley would have a ball gag like the gimp from Pulp Fiction.

Reaction Score
Saw it for the first time last night. Yeah, first time. Donna Reed was smoking. I laughed at the two characters named Burt and Ernie. They were named after muppets? Hard to see Stewart as a 20-something. Hollywood ending.

Decent movie.
I think the muppets may have been named after them, if anything other than coincidence.

Reaction Score
Watched ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE last night and got teary eyed and a lump in the throat at the end when George realized what was important in life. Never seen the film until last year for the first time and thought it was good but last night i was really surprised by my reaction to the film. i feel like a wuss. must watch football all weekend to redeem myself lol!

Jimmy Stewart bombed Nazis from his B-17 and flew B-52s with Strategic Air Command. Mere movie association with him makes your man card safe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also a tear jerker. When the lamp goes, I lose it every time.

For me it's towards the end when the Bumpus' dogs rampage the house and eat the turkey followed by the family eating out at the Chinese restaurant and the smiling duck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The swearing scene and the buildup to it is my favorite part of A Christmas Story: "My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium."

The Chinese folks singing "fa ra ra ra ra..." is a close second.

Reaction Score

Frank Capra was way ahead of you. Behold the alternate ending to IAWL:

The true vision of an American genius.

Reaction Score
Yes, Donna Reed would be as hot as it gets in today's styles

Decent movie.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Frank Capra was way ahead of you. Behold the alternate ending to IAWL:

The true vision of an American genius.

I had forgotten all about that skit. Thanks for reminding me. That's a great one.

Back to the original for a moment, does anyone else get the sense that George took care of business with the blonde who had her eye on him before he ever hooked up with Mary? I know they don't come out and say it, but every time I watch I feel more strongly that he and Violet hooked up. But maybe I'm projecting.

Reaction Score
Nope. You keep the man card. It gets dusty in the Deepster house at the end of this flick every year. One of the greatest movies in America cinema.

Hee Haw and Merry Christmas.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten all about that skit. Thanks for reminding me. That's a great one.

Back to the original for a moment, does anyone else get the sense that George took care of business with the blonde who had her eye on him before he ever hooked up with Mary? I know they don't come out and say it, but every time I watch I feel more strongly that he and Violet hooked up. But maybe I'm projecting.

I've thought that too - maybe not buck-wilding with her, but in a 1940s sense he hooked-up (held hands?)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium."

I always thought that line applied to JC as well.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Fishy said:

I always think he is a little over aggressive with Mary at times. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Capra's films but this one just doesn't do it for me. Not sure why. Maybe I feel like someone should arrest the drunk pharmacist who abuses children. Maybe I want to see the Dana Carvey ending applied to Potter. For whatever reason, I just don't connect with it.

th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer