Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 56 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's a teenager. Trying to gauge his mood on any given day is a fool's errand; they said the same thing after a Wisconsin visit.

But I don't think it's folly to deduce a trend, even from what he is tweeting/retweeting (or not) over time.

In my conjecture--not to be confused with the "facts" from 99 and his legitimate sources--it seems pretty clear that the kid presently has it in his mind that he is going to Wisconsin; he just wants to keep "All Eyes On Me" for as long as he can, and keep a safety valve to be able to change his mind again. He's an undisputed blue chip recruit and he has that option, period.

Wisconsin is the easier choice and not a bad choice. I obviously would have loved to see him here and think it would have been a great fit. I also think we would have been the better choice for someone who is clearly headed to the NBA in short order and seeking to maximize his development, potential and exposure. But we are the harder, more challenging choice.

We tend to do best with the kids who are willing to make hard choices. Perhaps I'm too willing to believe in Ollie and fate, but if he chooses Wisconsin as I expect, I will move on with the belief that the process self-selected the best situation for us in the long run, and that it is Stone's loss, not ours. I also expect that the recruiting pros here will take it as more proof of Ollie's recruiting shortcomings. There is no denying that we struck out on a lot of targets, and I understand how that can trouble people. But until it translates into trouble on the court, I'm content to wait and see what window opens when this door is closed.

Reaction Score
Was newman scheduled to visit the same weekend as Diamond? For those in the know... Thanks! I'm curious

Edit: typo

Newman was supposed to visit in early September. Those here in the know say that we haven't recruited him for months.

Reaction Score
He's a teenager. Trying to gauge his mood on any given day is a fool's errand; they said the same thing after a Wisconsin visit.

But I don't think it's folly to deduce a trend, even from what he is tweeting/retweeting (or not) over time.

In my conjecture--not to be confused with the "facts" from 99 and his legitimate sources--it seems pretty clear that the kid presently has it in his mind that he is going to Wisconsin; he just wants to keep "All Eyes On Me" for as long as he can, and keep a safety valve to be able to change his mind again. He's an undisputed blue chip recruit and he has that option, period.

Wisconsin is the easier choice and not a bad choice. I obviously would have loved to see him here and think it would have been a great fit. I also think we would have been the better choice for someone who is clearly headed to the NBA in short order and seeking to maximize his development, potential and exposure. But we are the harder, more challenging choice.

We tend to do best with the kids who are willing to make hard choices. Perhaps I'm too willing to believe in Ollie and fate, but if he chooses Wisconsin as I expect, I will move on with the belief that the process self-selected the best situation for us in the long run, and that it is Stone's loss, not ours. I also expect that the recruiting pros here will take it as more proof of Ollie's recruiting shortcomings. There is no denying that we struck out on a lot of targets, and I understand how that can trouble people. But until it translates into trouble on the court, I'm content to wait and see what window opens when this door is closed.

My sources are far from legitimate:)

I agree with ur logic.

Reaction Score
There will be a panic like no other if he chooses UW but from my point of view it's not at all telling of how KO and the staff will recruit. As stated many times, every one of those recruits who chose to go elsewhere had a solid reason and one that made UConn an underdog. It will be the same here if it happens as everyone believes and he stays home.'

When recruiting to top players in the country it begins well before the year prior so I do believe KO and UConn's NC last year made a bigger impact in the minds of the lower classmen as well as kids just getting into HS. We can't look at the 2010 being impactful based on the fact the APR brought in a negative feel for us.

Time will tell but we'll be fine. Heck we have a real fun team to watch as we speak now anyway so that's first and foremost as most will be back next year too!

Reaction Score
I heard after his last UCONN visit (around Halloween) that it didn't go well... Along the lines of being salty that Malik Newman cancelled late? Hence the follow up visit by Ollie and subsequent attempts at other visits to Stone.

Anyone else hear sentiments similar to this?

Newman definitely didn't have a visit scheduled the same weekend as Stone, and I don't think we've been recruiting him at all for at least a few months.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There will be a panic like no other if he chooses UW but from my point of view it's not at all telling of how KO and the staff will recruit. As stated many times, every one of those recruits who chose to go elsewhere had a solid reason and one that made UConn an underdog. It will be the same here if it happens as everyone believes and he stays home.'

When recruiting to top players in the country it begins well before the year prior so I do believe KO and UConn's NC last year made a bigger impact in the minds of the lower classmen as well as kids just getting into HS. We can't look at the 2010 being impactful based on the fact the APR brought in a negative feel for us.

Time will tell but we'll be fine. Heck we have a real fun team to watch as we speak now anyway so that's first and foremost as most will be back next year too!

Can't understate the hometown thing either. Imagine if Drummond went somewhere else? Hard to fathom.

If Ollie could pull this kid away, it would be a massive recruiting coup.

pj

Reaction Score
There was word that Newman would take an unofficial at the same time as Stone's summer unofficial visit, but he didn't. That was also about the time that the joint commitment talk started to fade.

If we miss on Stone, we'll still have a good team. You can't win a championship every year ... Stone might put us over the top to another championship ... but we'll be a fun team to root for and a competitive team even if we miss. I hope you guys are wrong and we get him ... or that if we miss, we get an elite center the following year.

Reaction Score
If a window or door closes another one always opens up somewhere else. We've done well before in the spring and some of the best players came out of nowhere. There does seem to be a fair amount of good talent waiting. Would Not be shocked if Newman fell into our lap.; especially if we got Stone but that's a reach and believe Stone is slipping away. Stranger things have happened.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They've put so much time into Stone and they were right there for a long time.

They just struggle getting kids all the way to "yes".

Reaction Score

BINGO! If we look at the entire history of UCONN basketball, there have only been a handful of "elite, can't miss prospects" that we've landed. Simply put, that "faith in the process" is what leads to the hungrier players who are more likely to overachieve. Missing out on players helps us get the ones we really need.

Right now, our incoming class is rated around 21-25. Our 2010-11 freshman class was ranked 21.

I don't think there's a better example of the antithesis of this than Andre Drummond. Great player, wish him nothing but the best - but, his one year at UConn didn't do a ton for our program. Stone could very well be a similar situation - maybe being too good to keep off the floor, but taking valuable development minutes from a player who will get them the following year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
already tried a few times, i even had tagged him in a post that had 15 retweets and like 25 favorites. nothing. i mentioned this earlier that he retweeted like 50 pro wisconsin tweets and like 5 uconn and people told me to shut up and stated i dont know anything blah blah blah
Hmmn, that rates an "uh oh."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
we need a symbol that represents this post is an opinion or conjecture. we probably could use another for this post is totally fabricated:)
2902643161_b32c32b070.jpg

C

Chief00

None of those guys other than Charlie were top 10 or top 15 recruits. And Charlie was a special circumstance given his commitments to Kansas and Illinois, and his late futzing around.

In other words, UConn grabbing kids like Adams, Hamilton, Napier, Oriakhi, Enoch, Daniels (and heck if Ed Nelson is listed, Rodney Purvis should be too) post Moore is similar to the names listed above.

The comparisons should be to Gay, Rip, Donyell, who were the really big gets of the last 15 years before Ollie came on the scene. The dropoff in recruiting will happen if they can't land big names like that. I'm still a little uncertain if D. Hamilton qualifies, he's on the edge of being a blue-chipper on Rip/Yell/Rudy's level. Diamond Stone certainly qualifies.

Clyde recruited Andrew Bynum and won that one - until he went pro.

Reaction Score
They've put so much time into Stone and they were right there for a long time.

They just struggle getting kids all the way to "yes".

I love the way Geno handles difficult or controlling parents - their kid leaves Storrs on their official visit without an offer from the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I am not clicking on another recruiting thread for the rest of the year. Oh S%$&!

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Stone will def be watching Texas... Gampel gotta be rocking and Uconn gotta be fuego

Reaction Score
sled team dont need him with his onedone persona

big andre led teem to first rd exit

wanna see that again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads