Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think it's a good sign that he's announcing on the 21st. He's not going to want to sign to a program and the have their coach leave. Bo Ryan isn't going anywhere, Kevin Ollie could win another championship and try to go to the NBA. Highly doubtful that would occur, but if that's a concern for Stone, it makes me think we're the choice here.

If Stone is worried about Ollie leaving, then that would bold well for Wisconsin not us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can you bold a tweet? If you can, I'll bet Wisconsin fans are bolding the crap out of us. Probably even italicizing our asses to underscore their passion for Stone.

Reaction Score
There have been countless tweets that 11/12 is the date that he's announcing. Then one tweet goes out that says 11/21 and everyone jumps on that as the truth, even though his father immediately dismisses 11/21 as being "the date".

Got to believe that 11/21 was a typo (he hit 21 instead of 12). 11/12 is the first day for signing early NLI, so that date makes sense. 11/19 is the last early signing date for NLI. If a player doesn't sign by 11/19, then the player has to wait until the spring to sign. So, where and how and why does 11/21 carry any logic as a date that someone would choose to sign on?

Until someone can explain the rationality behind 11/21 as an announcement date, I'm believing that 11/12 is the date that DS is announcing.

Reaction Score
There have been countless tweets that 11/12 is the date that he's announcing. Then one tweet goes out that says 11/21 and everyone jumps on that as the truth, even though his father immediately dismisses 11/21 as being "the date".

Got to believe that 11/21 was a typo (he hit 21 instead of 12). 11/12 is the first day for signing early NLI, so that date makes sense. 11/19 is the last early signing date for NLI. If a player doesn't sign by 11/19, then the player has to wait until the spring to sign. So, where and how and why does 11/21 carry any logic as a date that someone would choose to sign on?

Until someone can explain the rationality behind 11/21 as an announcement date, I'm believing that 11/12 is the date that DS is announcing.
Again, if you want to commit but don't want to sign an LOI, then the 21st makes sense.

Reaction Score
7774 said:
Again, if you want to commit but don't want to sign an LOI, then the 21st makes sense.

You can sign on the 19th, mail it, and announce on the 21st (the document needs to be signed on that day - it doesn't have to be received on that day). Or you can fax on the 19th and ask the institution to keep it quiet for two days. I imagine most would oblige. The school has to file the NLI with the conference office within 14 days of the end of the signing period. At that point it becomes public.

Or you could be right. Stone is in a position of power - he doesn't have to worry about being recruited over or his scholarship going to someone else if he doesn't sign. Plus if he talked to DHam on his visit, he might have given his approach some thought.

Reaction Score

Yup, I get that. But he can also announce on 11/12 and not sign a NLI. So, I'm still at a loss as to the rationality behind 11/21?

Maybe the rational for 11/21 is that DS wants to see where other players are committing before he commits? I guess that makes some sort of sense.

Reaction Score
Yup, I get that. But he can also announce on 11/12 and not sign a NLI. So, I'm still at a loss as to the rationality behind 11/21?

Maybe the rational for 11/21 is that DS wants to see where other players are committing before he commits? I guess that makes some sort of sense.

But who particularly, would be my only question. Briscoe and Mack???? If that were the case, does his recruitment and subsequent decision depend on whether we can reel in one of those two???? I mean how many others have said they are deciding in the next 2 weeks that affect the UCONN and Wiscy programs? Unless a 3rd team is still alive, which I doubt.

I figure Briscoe and Mack wouldn't affect anything. We would have plenty in place to make a NC run without those two if DS came. And them coming isn't going to change his MPG. So I dunno. I don't get the rationale of the 21st either. But it may be a moot point because I don't know if the 21st is set in Stone, if you will, anymore.

Reaction Score

There are literally hundreds of reasons, I was just throwing one example out there. The Stones are human beings living their lives, not a group of basketball robots. Maybe something is going on in their lives that makes it more convienient for them to announce on the 21st vs. this week.

Reaction Score
How many times have we obsessed about players we never get and it all turns out fine? Every $#%ing year. We may not get either of these kids and the amount of posts or our desire to see it happens means NOTHING.

Reaction Score
How many times have we obsessed about players we never get and it all turns out fine? Every $#%ing year. We may not get either of these kids and the amount of posts or our desire to see it happens means NOTHING.

Because in the past you had the best hoops conference in the country as a selling point and motivator for the next level. Yes our OOC schedule is great, but will it be enough?

Reaction Score
Because in the past you had the best hoops conference in the country as a selling point and motivator for the next level. Yes our OOC schedule is great, but will it be enough?

There was a lot going against UConn too back then, uncertainty over sanctions, playing for a hard coach like Calhoun, or the possibility of Calhoun retiring.

Now look: as much as exposure as ever before and perhaps even better (first 2 years in AAC, there are 16 games on prime networks, which only 4 or 5 schools in the country can boast about), a very personable coach who knows the NBA well, a national championship under the new coach.

I don't think the negatives are the factors in a supposed down year. There are other factors in play. For instance, a possible logjam at guard. Losing Stone would simply be about losing him to his hometown team, which should shock no one. In fact, the reality is that many top schools didn't go very hard after Stone, and you have to wonder why. Me, I'm thinking it's because of that relationship with Wisconsin. It's a tell.

The one thing that went pretty wrong so far is the Prince Ali recruitment. That smelled funky and weird.

Reaction Score
I think Ali panicked because we were still recruiting a lot of guards with more skills than he had.

I also think there's a strong possibility that Stone is going to announce early and then not sign so he doesn't get locked in if Ollie makes the jump.

Reaction Score
What if Stone commits to UConn and is a bust like most of the big men we had knowing its a guard type of school. Me and my father was talking and said someone told him Enoch got destroyed by a guy 6'6 kid in New Jersey. I haven't seen him play but I went to a Norwalk high game last year and was on JV. Kinda worries me even tho I heard he got a lot better. What do you guys think of pur big men since Okafor

Reaction Score
What if Stone commits to UConn and is a bust like most of the big men we had knowing its a guard type of school. Me and my father was talking and said someone told him Enoch got destroyed by a guy 6'6 kid in New Jersey. I haven't seen him play but I went to a Norwalk high game last year and was on JV. Kinda worries me even tho I heard he got a lot better. What do you guys think of pur big men since Okafor

Most of the big men we've gotten have not been "busts." Even if they had been, what does that have to do with Stone?

While I'm sure your father's source is very knowledgeable, I try not to put too much into fourth-hand accounts of one game.

Reaction Score

wow

Reaction Score

Emeka Okafor, Andre Drummond, Hilton Armstrong, Jake Voskuhl, Travis Knight, Hasheem Thabeet, Josh Boone.

Which of these guys were busts? 4 of these guys were lottery picks. 6 of them were first rounders. The one who didn't get picked in the first round made a lot of money in the NBA, and was the first pick of the second round.

Explain to me your theory of UConn's busts, because given where these players were ranked (not a single one of them in the top 50 other than Andre Drummond) UConn has shown its ability to HELP big men develop their game for the NBA.

pj

Reaction Score

I think they've been good enough to win two championships. They've been good enough to be NBA lottery picks.

Pray tell, name one highly regarded big man who has come to UConn and been a bust. There haven't been any. But lots of poorly regarded unrecruited bigs who made pro careers.

Reaction Score
...and I thought things would get more level headed around here once the games started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom