Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many of the top kids answer with a couple words when interviewed by these guys, he took his time, smiled and looked at the interviewer often. Real good kid it would seem and would be a perfect fit if course. Fingers crossed.

I do like "still thinking November 12th not sure, maybe earlier......"

Reaction Score
Other Factors-

Bo Ryan will be 67 at the end of the 2015 season. Wisconsin will be relying heavily on a group of seniors this year with Kaminsky, Gasser and Jackson. Wisconsin makes another nice run in the tournament and Ryan may look at retirement as an option. That recruiting card was played against UConn and Calhoun for years.

There's very little indication of Bo Ryan slowing down. He's always said that as long as the kids are still listening, he'll keep coaching. Most Wisconsin fans think we probably have at least five more years. His health is good, the fire's still there, and his roster, even after he loses possibly four of his starting five after this season, is still among the more talented he's ever had.

Ryan is actually a year younger than Coach K, and you don't hear much talk of Coach K hanging it up anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Really have to admire this kid's approach to the recruiting process. Mature beyond his years… A blueprint for other highly sought after recruits going through the process.

Really hope we get him, but will root for this kid regardless of his choice.

Reaction Score
Just because Wisconsin doesn't have a lot of guys in the NBA doesn't mean Bo Ryan struggles with player development. The Badgers have historically been comprised of three and four star recruits under Ryan - guys who are good enough to play well at the college level fairly quickly but not good enough to seriously consider a jump. I don't buy the "he does less with more" narrative that the media loves to push because he does get recruits, but not many of those guys are NBA material upon entering campus.

I think the point that @huskyniner was trying to make was that the NBA pedigree of a school won't factor into his decision too much since he knows he can get there no matter where he goes. Andre Drummond, for example, literally would have been a top ten pick even if he decided to prep for another year. That's why a lot of people roll their eyes at the Calipari "I get guys to the NBA" sales pitch - there are literally hundreds of high school coaches good enough to get John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins to the NBA.

Good post about Bo Ryan and player development. The media always seems to group coaches into a Venn diagram -- great Xs and Os guys, and great recruiters (saw Gary Parrish wrote a big story about Leonard Hamilton, full of praise about how he's one of the best recruiters in the game. That's great. What has Leonard Hamilton ever won other than recruiting battles?) . The best coaches are the piece in the diagram that overlap, according to the media.

Such an oversimplification. Bo Ryan doesn't really fit into either one of those categories. He's only a good recruiter in the sense that he recruits the right guys for the mentality and skillset he wants. But when it comes to recruiting battles for the top guys, like Stone, he usually loses. And he's not a tremendous Xs and Os guy, even though the media always pigeonholes him that way. His keeps thing pretty simple on the court and always stresses "do the ordinary well, and extraordinary things will happen." He doesn't even belong on that Venn diagram.

But what he excels at, and frankly, what I think he does as well or better than any coach in the country, is develop his players. He doesn't have a lot of guys in the NBA because he rarely gets NBA talent into his program. If you watched the Final Four game against UK last year, you saw a guy named Duje Dukan get 15 minutes off the bench, score 8 points and help get Wisconsin back into the game in the second half. Duje Dukan is a guy that Wisconsin fans had totally written off. Not a D-1 talent. Not a guy who will ever contribute. Slow feet, clueless on defense, can't rebound, can't get a shot off. And suddenly he's contributing as a junior and should play a key role his senior year. We see guys like that at Wisconsin all the time. Hell, Frank Kaminsky is a guy like that. He got a few minutes his frosh and soph years, you could see he had some skills, but his footwork was terrible, he got abused on defense, and he looked overwhelmed. The improvement is absolutely remarkable.

I don't know if Bo Ryan has ever had a recruiting class in the top four of the Big Ten. And yet he's never finished outside the top four. That says something for player development. It wouldn't be any different with NBA lottery-caliber players.

My opinion, as I mentioned on this thread before, is that Stone will wind up at UConn. I don't think he can go wrong with either program, though. The Maryland and Ok State noise just irritates me. I think there's plenty wrong with both those programs (what did they have, a combined 9 transfers out after last season?), and I'm sure the Stones will see it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think a majority of fans in this forum are not so sure Stone is coming to UConn and most of us would tip our hats to Bo Ryan if he got Stone. Certainly we'd be disappointed but we know how often other programs recruited over JC.

I don't know about the best but certainly one of the best at getting the most out of his players. Felt that way about JC. Although he did have some top players he often ended up with third and fourth choices that he developed into players who sometimes went head to head on his misses and outplayed them. Of course there is the Ryan Gomes story!:cool:

Really liked Al Skinner at BCU and how he got the most out of lower ranked recruits.

And I like KO who will definitely develop players to their maximum.

Reaction Score
Let out an audible gasp when he mentioned OKSU and their academic prowess...especially relative to other schools on his list.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good post about Bo Ryan and player development. The media always seems to group coaches into a Venn diagram -- great Xs and Os guys, and great recruiters (saw Gary Parrish wrote a big story about Leonard Hamilton, full of praise about how he's one of the best recruiters in the game. That's great. What has Leonard Hamilton ever won other than recruiting battles?) . The best coaches are the piece in the diagram that overlap, according to the media.

Such an oversimplification. Bo Ryan doesn't really fit into either one of those categories. He's only a good recruiter in the sense that he recruits the right guys for the mentality and skillset he wants. But when it comes to recruiting battles for the top guys, like Stone, he usually loses. And he's not a tremendous Xs and Os guy, even though the media always pigeonholes him that way. His keeps thing pretty simple on the court and always stresses "do the ordinary well, and extraordinary things will happen." He doesn't even belong on that Venn diagram.

But what he excels at, and frankly, what I think he does as well or better than any coach in the country, is develop his players. He doesn't have a lot of guys in the NBA because he rarely gets NBA talent into his program. If you watched the Final Four game against UK last year, you saw a guy named Duje Dukan get 15 minutes off the bench, score 8 points and help get Wisconsin back into the game in the second half. Duje Dukan is a guy that Wisconsin fans had totally written off. Not a D-1 talent. Not a guy who will ever contribute. Slow feet, clueless on defense, can't rebound, can't get a shot off. And suddenly he's contributing as a junior and should play a key role his senior year. We see guys like that at Wisconsin all the time. Hell, Frank Kaminsky is a guy like that. He got a few minutes his frosh and soph years, you could see he had some skills, but his footwork was terrible, he got abused on defense, and he looked overwhelmed. The improvement is absolutely remarkable.

I don't know if Bo Ryan has ever had a recruiting class in the top four of the Big Ten. And yet he's never finished outside the top four. That says something for player development. It wouldn't be any different with NBA lottery-caliber players.

My opinion, as I mentioned on this thread before, is that Stone will wind up at UConn. I don't think he can go wrong with either program, though. The Maryland and Ok State noise just irritates me. I think there's plenty wrong with both those programs (what did they have, a combined 9 transfers out after last season?), and I'm sure the Stones will see it.

Interesting stuff. Good post.

I don't think anyone here feels Stone is definitely coming to UCONN. It's a very interesting recruitment with Stone, and I have to say, I kind of like it.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, on Wisconsin forums they seem to think he'll end up at UConn. For those comparing Stone's hometown recruitment to Drummond's, I don't think we ever really had a doubt that Andre was coming to UConn if he went to college at all.

He clearly has a strong relationship and connection with Ollie. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that he'll end up at UConn.
I hope those Wisconsin posters know their stuff. The Wisconsin campus is nice and they are in Madison which is a great town. Now that attempts to ignore Stone recruiting news have failed I'll be disappointed if he doesn't come to UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm "Stoned" after seeing that. He's looking quicker. He's got skinny legs compared to his upper body. I like his mobility in this video & his international footage from August.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
looks great! praying we land him.

Reaction Score
The competition was somewhere between chairs and a Sunday pickup game in Torrington.

I want UConn to land him more than any other recruit on our list, but WTF is wrong with these "recruiting services". The headline is "
Diamond Stone NEW Mixtape (Goes CRAZY In Fall League)"

...gainst some guys that will be luck to play division 2 basketball.

Reaction Score
The competition was somewhere between chairs and a Sunday pickup game in Torrington.

I want UConn to land him more than any other recruit on our list, but WTF is wrong with these "recruiting services". The headline is "
Diamond Stone NEW Mixtape (Goes CRAZY In Fall League)"

...gainst some guys that will be luck to play division 2 basketball.

He looks a bit skinnier, quicker, and as someone mentioned his legs look pretty skinny. But the biggest thing is who the hell is he playing against? Hideous.

Reaction Score
This kid has to be smart enough to not to pick a school because of their clothing line, right? DHam used to be decked out in UCLA gear.

Because it was free.

He can sign with UA once he declares elgible for the draft.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In the Diamond Stone recruiting thread he was interviewed. When Maryland was brought up he kinda laughed in a "yeah right" sort of way.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The folks on the wisc board seem to think hes a UConn lean

Reaction Score
look at his body language when he was asked about the 5 schools in that interview...i really think he answered alot of questions. First one is this package deal isnt happening(which makes me think thats why briscoe came and is gonna commit instead). Second that wisconsin is just a home team who he's just giving respect because its his home. Third its looks like a HUGE uconn lean when he was asked about KO and the program. even the guy interviewing him went "hmmmmm". i think this tell us alot folks!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I Bleed Blue said:
just curious where did you see this, and what was said?
Don't ask. Just roll with it.

Reaction Score
This was posted on their board:

"Seriously, what more can Stone find out by waiting?? Maryland? Silly! UConn...nice but no better that UW and at UW the family is nearby. This gets very tiring."

Oh you Badgers! LOL. That 1941 National Championship was nice....but no better than 4 in the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom