Diamond in the Hartford Courant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diamond in the Hartford Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
UNC had not made the NCAA tournament. A couple of years before Diamond got there. She leads them to E8.

all by her lonesome, no doubt. Y'know, E8, for programs like UConn and, in the old days, the Vols, used to be a disappointment, and a source for soul-searching and self-analysis.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

all by her lonesome, no doubt. Y'know, E8, for programs like UConn and, in the old days, the Vols, used to be a disappointment, and a source for soul-searching and self-analysis.

Well she was the player on the Wooden top fifteen list.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
And yet after Diamond leaves... they make the Sweet 16... and were a couple of boneheaded decisions from knocking out #1 seeded South Carolina out of the tourney. :rolleyes:
True I think if Diamond was on that team they win that game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There was never any doubt she was the kind of talent coming out of high school that could have kind of a Maya [Moore] impact on a program," Auriemma said.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True I think if Diamond was on that team they win that game.

Actually if Diamond was at UNC last year.... they wouldnt have been a #4 seed and wouldnt have been playing a #1 seed

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
that could have

But has yet to have anything close, no matter the adulation in the Tenn nation, and as ESPN noted just a couple of days ago, in her year at UNC she had more turnovers than the whole UT Team averages. Easy to be a chucker, hard to be a team mate and leader. Tenn likes its Messiahs, I understand, but its all a bit much right now, even with the halo and the music effects.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
But has yet to have anything close, no matter the adulation in the Tenn nation, and as ESPN noted just a couple of days ago, in her year at UNC she had more turnovers than the whole UT Team averages. Easy to be a chucker, hard to be a team mate and leader. Tenn likes its Messiahs, I understand, but its all a bit much right now, even with the halo and the music effects.
Those are words spoken by Geno.
As for the FF at UNC. Remember Parker had no FF her first year. It turned out real good for her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Those are words spoken by Geno.

Yes, but he did not say will have or has had he said "could have a Maya like effect." The player has talents, flaws, room to grow, some old wounds still healing. She may be the second coming, but she isn't there by a long shot and it just gets tedious to have her anointed here on the Boneyard without "making her bones" so to speak. I know, water off an Orange duck's back.

Reaction Score
"It would be great [to play UConn], but I don't want to force it and say, 'I want to play them!' " Uh, DD, don't worry. Do you think she thinks she can force it? Don't answer that question.
One great player is not going to get Tennessee to the final four!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One great player is not going to get Tennessee to the final four!

I agree. But fates could still put Tenn in the FF. Mercedes could be a demon and their new "bring the ball up the floor guard" may be a frosh nonpareil and DD may be all that. So, who knows. What I was commenting on was her apparent narcissistic statement that she could have "forced" the game, presumably by some sort of hissy fit and insist they play and somehow Holly would just have to get it done!!! Or maybe she thought ESPN would force it. Or maybe she just misspoke and meant something else ... like? And nobody tell me she's just a "kid" ;). Entitlement can be a terrible thing.

Reaction Score
All DeShield has shown so far is a swagger. Sure she is talented and has skills. But that only reminds me of Diggins. Skylar had talent, skills and swagger too. She also had a better coach and a much better supporting cast. And she graduated without a ring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UNC had not made the NCAA tournament. A couple of years before Diamond got there. She leads them to E8.

Uh, a friend more statistically inclined than me asked me to pass this on:

- UNC NCAA appearances - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015.

So what yah saying stwainfan??? Maybe a punctuation issue. Nah, that doesn't work. Lots of knowledgeable fans here, so...?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields, Now A Lady Vol, Would Love To Play The Huskies

Note to DD, "Careful what you wish for"

Reaction Score
good interview... I dont want to link it cause Im not sure if everyone would be able to view it.

someone can find a link thats free: this is the title
Diamond DeShields, Now A Lady Vol, Would Love To Play The Huskies
Diamond De Shields---does not like being less than number one. Hurray for her. To become a champion one must first think like one.
She wants to play UConn--Awesome Uconn. I am pleased Geno called her a Maya like player. When I offered similar comparison--I was told she is no where near Maya--Now the MASTER agrees. Kidding aside, she is a quality player and I suspect they will be seeing Uconn in the NCAA's somewhere--they have their sights set high.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Uh, a friend more statistically inclined than me asked me to pass this on:

- UNC NCAA appearances - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015.

So what yah saying stwainfan??? Maybe a punctuation issue. Nah, that doesn't work. Lots of knowledgeable fans here, so...?
Ok they still miss the tournament the year before.

Reaction Score
It doesn't appear that Stewart's confidence comes from external sources, instead it come from within. She doesn't need others for validation.

If DT told Stewart she was the best, I doubt if Breanna would be telling us about it. Remember back to the last Championship Game, where she opined that MoJeff should have won the MOP award. Her focus is on winning as part of her team. To me, that is the best form of greatness.
You hit on the trait Geno goes for, confidence. He preaches it. A confident player wants to make the big play. When the game is on the line the Confident player takes the ball to the rim. DT (first and foremost) Maya, Sue Bird, Rene, Mo Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck, and of course Stewie. At least a dozen more Uconn Women who fit the mold. Ask anyone did they truly believe they'd win the NC--all would or have said yes. That's what Geno wants--talent is great, confidence is better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok they still miss the tournament the year before.

That's your excuse for a totally baseless claim? You were 1/15th right through no knowledge of your own; just dumb luck?

Reaction Score
There is also the beginning of a cry on the UTenn website for a resumption of play.
Of course, there are the regular denigrators as there are here
But the tide seems to be moving in the direction of an eventual resumption.
'

The home and home will begin with Tnn when Geno says so, and not a day before, while he is HC.

Reaction Score
One thing about having a player like Diamond. She will draw a lot of attention from defenses. That can free up shots for other players.

The question is whether those other players can put those shots into the hoop. Reynolds Carter & Graves haven't exactly been scoring machines.

UNC had not made the NCAA tournament. A couple of years before Diamond got there. She leads them to E8

Making the E8 means you won one game against a quality team. Diamond was outstanding in that 2 point win over 13th seeded UT Martin. DeShields scored 15 points on a sparkling 3-12 from the floor. She had nice games against Mich St and SC but again came up short vs. Stanford, going 5-15. Her 3 point shooting for the tournament was a less than impressive 3-15.

I'm willing to say that very few players "lead" their teams in the NCAA's as freshmen. DeShields may well do it while at Tenn. But it seems to me that her legend has been written before she's accomplished anything to deserve it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There is also the beginning of a cry on the UTenn website for a resumption of play.
Of course, there are the regular denigrators as there are here
But the tide seems to be moving in the direction of an eventual resumption.
It's pretty clear. When the Tenn administration apologizes to Maya and her mom, Geno will consent to resuming the series. Till then, not in the regular season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That's your excuse for a totally baseless claim? You were 1/15th right through no knowledge of your own; just dumb luck?
I had the year wrong. Everything else I said was correct.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The question is whether those other players can put those shots into the hoop. Reynolds Carter & Graves haven't exactly been scoring machines.

Making the E8 means you won one game against a quality team. Diamond was outstanding in that 2 point win over 13th seeded UT Martin. DeShields scored 15 points on a sparkling 3-12 from the floor. She had nice games against Mich St and SC but again came up short vs. Stanford, going 5-15. Her 3 point shooting for the tournament was a less than impressive 3-15.

I'm willing to say that very few players "lead" their teams in the NCAA's as freshmen. DeShields may well do it while at Tenn. But it seems to me that her legend has been written before she's accomplished anything to deserve it.
The team also has Russell inside. Then Cooper and others to shoot from outside. Graves is very capable of scoring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had the year wrong. Everything else I said was correct.

Even 2d language and dyslexia can't explain that "reasoning". But, hey, let's call you the winner and break off this ludicrous demonstration of your need for attention here.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What tide? No one even talks about it anymore because the whole Maya thing is a nonstarter. You will die before we ever play them in the regular season, and if you don't believe me, just ask Coach.

Just watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc