Diamond in the Hartford Courant | The Boneyard

Diamond in the Hartford Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good interview... I dont want to link it cause Im not sure if everyone would be able to view it.

someone can find a link thats free: this is the title
Diamond DeShields, Now A Lady Vol, Would Love To Play The Huskies

Reactions: HGN

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A couple of hmmmm? comments.

One from Geno,

"There was never any doubt she was the kind of talent coming out of high school that could have kind of a Maya [Moore] impact on a program," Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it that was going to be an issue for wherever she went. Now that she's at a place that's used to that, they know how to do that somewhat."

And one from her (speaking of Holdclaw and Catchings as "big sisters")

"Every team needs a leader, but I feel like with Tennessee you are always on the team even after you go. All those players, we're still on the team together. It might not be a senior I look up to. It might not be a coach I get my confidence from. But I do get it from my big sisters. For them to say, I can put myself in the same position they are, that's all the confidence I need. I want to be like them."

Reaction Score
Somehow, it's never brought up that DD and the other class members departure is at least somewhat connected to the mysterious disappearance of former UNC and Duke Asst Trisha Stafford-Odom. After exiting UNC, she went to coach DD's AAU team, which also included T'ea Cooper, who de-committed from UNC and joined DD at Tenn. It's not that hard to connect dots.

Reaction Score
A very confident kid that reminds me a lot of DT, same cockiness. I am a fan even if she is a Vol.

HGN

Reaction Score
good interview... I dont want to link it cause Im not sure if everyone would be able to view it.

someone can find a link thats free: this is the title
Diamond DeShields, Now A Lady Vol, Would Love To Play The Huskies
If she wants to play the Huskies all the Lady Vols need to do is make it to the FF.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I for one am excited to see Diamond play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"It would be great [to play UConn], but I don't want to force it and say, 'I want to play them!' " Uh, DD, don't worry. Do you think she thinks she can force it? Don't answer that question.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Strange stuff.

Yes, a bit.

Having said that, the more I read about Diamond the more fascinated I become. I like that she's out there, with that mentality and that attitude - I think it's good for WCBB that she's back on the court. And despite the 'roughness' of her freshman campaign, there is still something very special about watching such a talented player moving up and down the court. Despite players like Stewie and Griner in the interim, there has not been a natural talent like Diamond in the college game since Maya graduated, IMHO.

I would really love to see her playing at a very high level this year so that they could go deep in the Tourney, play us, and go home. :D

Reaction Score
She has to have a whole lot of confidence to be able to say she is the next great at Tennessee before playing a game. Good for her.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
A couple of hmmmm? comments.

One from Geno,

"There was never any doubt she was the kind of talent coming out of high school that could have kind of a Maya [Moore] impact on a program," Auriemma said. "It was managing all the other stuff that went along with it that was going to be an issue for wherever she went. Now that she's at a place that's used to that, they know how to do that somewhat."

And one from her (speaking of Holdclaw and Catchings as "big sisters")

"Every team needs a leader, but I feel like with Tennessee you are always on the team even after you go. All those players, we're still on the team together. It might not be a senior I look up to. It might not be a coach I get my confidence from. But I do get it from my big sisters. For them to say, I can put myself in the same position they are, that's all the confidence I need. I want to be like them."

All the other stuff...media attention, fan attention, national attention, etc. All the things that go along with being considered a super star player. TN is well equipped to handle these things, as is UConn, since both programs have had these caliber players.

Confidence...when a great player like Candace Parker and Chamique Holdsclaw tell a player they've got what it takes, it can tend to carry more weight than those same words coming from anyone else. The been there, done that players are typically the most difficult to convince. That's why they don't make good coaches. They aren't in the business of hyping anyone up, just to stroke your ego. I would imagine if DT tells Stewart she's the best, the weight those words carry would be tremendous.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT tells Stewart she's the best, the weight those words carry would be tremendous.

She sorta did last season when DT said re Stewie: "They better get her this year [beat UConn], because next year she'll be elite...." But Stewie has all the confidence she needs, knowing she once again upped her game over the summer.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One thing about having a player like Diamond. She will draw a lot of attention from defenses. That can free up shots for other players.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is also the beginning of a cry on the UTenn website for a resumption of play.
Of course, there are the regular denigrators as there are here
But the tide seems to be moving in the direction of an eventual resumption.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
She sorta did last season when DT said re Stewie: "They better get her this year [beat UConn], because next year she'll be elite...." But Stewie has all the confidence she needs, knowing she once again upped her game over the summer.

And Diamond doesn't lack any confidence. None of the greats lack confidence. That's one of the characteristics that makes them great. They have no fear and embrace challenges.

Reaction Score
There is also the beginning of a cry on the UTenn website for a resumption of play.
Of course, there are the regular denigrators as there are here
But the tide seems to be moving in the direction of an eventual resumption.
What tide? No one even talks about it anymore because the whole Maya thing is a nonstarter. You will die before we ever play them in the regular season, and if you don't believe me, just ask Coach.

HGN

Reaction Score
Your DD is a long way from being in that conversation. Go sell that bait where they are fishing.

I hear if you troll under the bridge you'll get a bite or two.
Now , now Rocky................Some might not know exactly what you meant by that. So I will explain. All you were saying is that DD can be included in those greatness conversations when she has been to a few FF's and won a couple NC's. The Diana's , Maya's , Candice , and Tamika , etc. , are in those conversations. But you do have to go to a FF and have at least a NC...... In most cases.

Now she might get one or 2............She's got 3 more shots at it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now , now Rocky......Some might not know exactly what you meant by that. So I will explain. All you were saying is that DD can be included in those greatness conversations when she has been to a few FF's and won a couple NC's. The Diana's , Maya's , Candice , and Tamika , etc. , are in those conversations. But you do have to go to a FF and have at least a NC. In most cases.

Now she might get one or 2..She's got 3 more shots at it.

Yeah, yeah...didn't I say that? ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
UNC had not made the NCAA tournament. A couple of years before Diamond got there. She leads them to E8.

Reaction Score
All the other stuff...media attention, fan attention, national attention, etc. All the things that go along with being considered a super star player. TN is well equipped to handle these things, as is UConn, since both programs have had these caliber players.

Confidence...when a great player like Candace Parker and Chamique Holdsclaw tell a player they've got what it takes, it can tend to carry more weight than those same words coming from anyone else. The been there, done that players are typically the most difficult to convince. That's why they don't make good coaches. They aren't in the business of hyping anyone up, just to stroke your ego. I would imagine if DT tells Stewart she's the best, the weight those words carry would be tremendous.
It doesn't appear that Stewart's confidence comes from external sources, instead it come from within. She doesn't need others for validation.

If DT told Stewart she was the best, I doubt if Breanna would be telling us about it. Remember back to the last Championship Game, where she opined that MoJeff should have won the MOP award. Her focus is on winning as part of her team. To me, that is the best form of greatness.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UNC had not made the NCAA tournament. A couple of years before Diamond got there. She leads them to E8.

And yet after Diamond leaves... they make the Sweet 16... and were a couple of boneheaded decisions from knocking out #1 seeded South Carolina out of the tourney. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom