Diaco has UConn bowl eligible in second year (AP/Eaton Robb) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco has UConn bowl eligible in second year (AP/Eaton Robb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually Jimmy most of the constant whining came from people who clearly didn't understand or accept the tear down, and there are 10 months worth of posts to support that. The ability to recognize that the coaches know more than you or I isn't blind faith. Fact is too many clowns think they know or could do it better, yet every decision they make is in hind sight and influenced by other opinions that they regurgitate, we don't know crap. If this team continues on the path it's on good things will come, and the brotherhood of the miserable can claim they knew it all along and were on board the whole time. But we all know different don't we.

Does part of a "tear down" involve forgetting how to manage a clock and hiring an OC who wasn't allowed to call plays in his previous job?

Diaco learned along the way, but the criticism was warranted. You don't get a pass when you are making 1.5 mil a year.

Reaction Score
Look, deny it if you wish but our talent was mis-coached and wasted during too many of the losses we sustained in those early winnable games. Of course the players have improved along the way and our O-Line has gained both knowledge and confidence, but make no mistake, our recent success is much more a product of better play selection and better, more imaginative use of our talented personnel by the coaching staff. It's coaching improvement that's allowed the potential of our talent to finally emerge.

Reaction Score
Does part of a "tear down" involve forgetting how to manage a clock and hiring an OC who wasn't allowed to call plays in his previous job?

Diaco learned along the way, but the criticism was warranted. You don't get a pass when you are making 1.5 mil a year.

Actually I responded about that very thing in another thread, and the coach has responded about how he goes about those decisions (amazing it took this long for someone to ask really), but that's the difference between constructive criticism and whining for the sake of it and pretending it's somehow your right to do so.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

yeah, we didn't go bowling because of managing a clock. And Tim Boyle threw so many int's because the OC didn't call plays at this previous job.

Reaction Score
True. Not yet.

But you have been proven wrong.

Lol. You guys are truly an odd lot. What specifically was I proven wrong about? Last year I consistently said that Diaco may turn out to be a good coach but his first year was a disaster. Yes we are better this year because he rotated Whitmer & Cochran. You guys don't even know what the tear down entailed. Yet you were proven right and I was wrong. Lol. I think I'll solely respond to people's opinion that I respect and let you, Jerry, and the other usual lot continue your dumb offs.

Reaction Score
It's been said many times you just choose to ignore it, last year wasn't about wins, it was about growth, finding out who you had and who was committed to the program, yes at the expense of wins and instant gratification and no one player including our best receiver Davis was beyond that goal, guys like you were just too blind and lacking upstairs to understand that. You come in yelling loud like you some great insight and every opinion you have is someone else's while bashing everyone else, and when someone calls you out you do your typical; you know nothing, your crazy, I knew it all along, if you can't handle a message board bs yet you run and hide when called out. So please go, give the whole board a break from your stupidity, please!

Reaction Score
Actually I responded about that very thing in another thread, and the coach has responded about how he goes about those decisions (amazing it took this long for someone to ask really), but that's the difference between constructive criticism and whining for the sake of it and pretending it's somehow your right to do so.

Just because he responded, doesn't mean that the criticism wasn't valid last year or even this year. 6-6 is .500. It's progress but it isn't utterly convincing. Not even by a longshot.

Reaction Score
Just because he responded, doesn't mean that the criticism wasn't valid last year or even this year. 6-6 is .500. It's progress but it isn't utterly convincing. Not even by a longshot.

Whatever you think of me, I don't care, but I hope that wherever you are, your orders are clear, and you've got what and who you need in place to get it done.

That said - I agree. You look at the body of work, and you can't help but continue to scratch your head. He's learning, and it's expected that there will be hiccups with anyone learning something. 6-6 in 2015 is certainly progress in the right direction, but there is a lot to prove. It starts with how the next few weeks of practice translate into a post season game.

Reaction Score
PP couldn't get 6 wins with more experienced, and at some positions, more talented players.

Now Diaco rebuilds a complete , and in year 2, we are bowling and it appears that is not considered significant progress.

Yeesh....

Reaction Score
PP couldn't get 6 wins with more experienced, and at some positions, more talented players.

Now Diaco rebuilds a complete , and in year 2, we are bowling and it appears that is not considered significant progress.

Yeesh....

Is it progress, yes? But when you see an effort like last night I get the feeling that this could still go in either direction.

C

Chief00

No offense to anyone - but if this is a bowl team the College Bowl system is broken. This team going to a bowl is like handing out participation trophies in youth football. True, the kids all love getting a trophy but it sends a horrible message to take throughout life. And imagine Diaco has a clause in his contract where a fat bonus kicks in for going to a bowl - if so its not deserved yet. Yes, there has been some incremental progress but he is already compensated for that expectation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Yeesh....

Art, almost everyone is beyond ecstatic with the progress made. I didn't see a bowl game coming.

The difference of opinion is that you guys are saying it's due to Diaco "tearing this down" and I'm saying it's mostly due to us having competent QB play. Diaco improved a lot from last year but still has miles to go. He still makes you scratch your head at times.

I think last night was Exhibit A in showing what this team would look like without BS.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
Art, almost everyone is beyond ecstatic with the progress made. I didn't see a bowl game coming. The difference of opinion is that you guys are saying it's due to Diaco "tearing this down" and I'm saying it's mostly due to us having competent QB play. Diaco improved a lot from last year but still has miles to go. He still makes you scratch your head at times. I think last night was Exhibit A in showing what this team would look like without BS.

If anyone thinks we would be better than 2-10 with TB at the helm let them speak up.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
No offense to anyone - but if this is a bowl team the College Bowl system is broken. This team going to a bowl is like handing out participation trophies in youth football. True, the kids all love getting a trophy but it sends a horrible message to take throughout life. And imagine Diaco has a clause in his contract where a fat bonus kicks in for going to a bowl - if so its not deserved yet. Yes, there has been some incremental progress but he is already compensated for that expectation.

Who cares if we deserve a bowl. We need the extra practice. And bowls are fun.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Stick to basketball.

Reaction Score

Think of it like the NIT.

Reaction Score
Art, almost everyone is beyond ecstatic with the progress made. I didn't see a bowl game coming.

The difference of opinion is that you guys are saying it's due to Diaco "tearing this down" and I'm saying it's mostly due to us having competent QB play. Diaco improved a lot from last year but still has miles to go. He still makes you scratch your head at times.

I think last night was Exhibit A in showing what this team would look like without BS.

But it's not as simplistic as that. Who is arguing that our QB play isn't better? Along with, most games anyway, better play calling? Depth at more positions, imo thanks to freshman and sophmores last year getting valuable game reps. And yet for all that we still have one of the worst offenses in FBS, so yeah there's a long way to go, from top to bottom, to think it's going to magically just go from dumpster fire to finished product is unrealistic, and if you can see that it has a long way to go it just doesn't make sense to me to constantly rag on the head scrathing moments along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom