Diaco has UConn bowl eligible in second year (AP/Eaton Robb) | The Boneyard

Diaco has UConn bowl eligible in second year (AP/Eaton Robb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=EiHyKRBu

<<He was exuberant and filled with clichés about building a champion. When the program instead struggled a year ago, he talked about how he had torn it down to its foundation and was building, layer by layer. He promised things were being done the right way. A lot of eyes looked at him askance.

"The one thing about Bob is he hasn't changed in his plan and his thoughts about how to get there," Athletic Director Warde Manuel said. "He has adjusted, but we all need to adjust in life. He had a plan, he had a vision of what this team could accomplish."<<

>>Diaco said he's also been growing as a coach. In the last year, he has learned to be a better communicator and less of a micromanager, trusting his assistants and administrative staff to do their jobs, he said. But even while the Huskies were losing, he said, he's always had faith that he is going about things the right way, he said.

"We're excited about the growth that's going to be made," he said. "It's not going to stop and we're nowhere near our shelf or pinnacle or anywhere close to who we're going to be."<<

Reaction Score
Now that we are where we are, the question can be asked: could we have gotten to 6-5 this year if Diaco had actually tried to win games last year, or was Diaco's "tearing down" necessary to quickly build into success this year?

Either way, we're on the right trajectory, but it's an interesting academic debate.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Now that we are where we are, the question can be asked: could we have gotten to 6-5 this year if Diaco had actually tried to win games last year, or was Diaco's "tearing down" necessary to quickly build into success this year?

Either way, we're on the right trajectory, but it's an interesting academic debate.
Perhaps we could still have gotten to 6-5, but I really believe in his foundation building. A wise man builds his house upon the rock. Even a foolish man who builds a house on sand still builds a house, but where is that house in year 2, 3 or 4?

I think this crazy fox is pretty clever. Here's to hoping this house sticks around.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The players who are making an impact and directly contributing to our success this year gained valuable reps last year after Diaco decided to go full speed ahead with the teardown. If Noel Thomas's catches went to Geremy Davis instead, is he this comfortable on the field this year? There's no way to scientifically prove it, but I think that the muscle memory these guys developed while playing last year is a pivotal aspect of the vast improvement in level of play we've seen this year.

Reaction Score

It was pretty obvious what he was doing last year and I don't believe we are 6-5 this year unless he did the complete tear down of the program. The team was snake bitten for the 2+ years before Diaco got here and it took a while to suck the venom out.

Reaction Score
Just curious where all those who whined constantly about their desire for instant gratification last year and through the summer who refused to believe he did what he did last year for the benefit of the program stand? I don't see too many saying they were wrong so guess they're just lying in wait to pounce on any shortfall.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just curious where all those who whined constantly about their desire for instant gratification last year and through the summer who refused to believe he did what he did last year for the benefit of the program stand? I don't see too many saying they were wrong so guess they're just lying in wait to pounce on any shortfall.

The Perfect Hair guy hasn't been here since Villanova. He must be really depressed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Diaco is doing it the right way. The tear down and rebuilding process was necessary. There was too much crap left over from "he who shall remain nameless."

Much of what Diaco brought in including a nutritionist, strength and condition, his 100 level to 400 level and his enthusiasm was all needed. He also needed to teach the team how to win and what it takes to win.

I also have a feeling that studying game films has been a large part of the team's preparation.

People might think he's quirky but he's geting the job done and with a lot of young players. Good for him.

Reaction Score

Not that it matters to anyone but I stand by my criticisms of last year. I don't think leaving Geremy Davis on the bench for crucial 3rd downs makes one bit of difference this year. If anything helped us last year it was Summers getting inserted into the lineup and cutting his teeth, and he only started because Byron Jones got hurt.

I am more than willing to admit I was wrong about what this team could accomplish this year. I suspect a lot of the blind faithers were wrong too.

By the way, almost everyone agrees that a teardown and rebuild was necessary. There are more than a few ways to accomplish that. I was very specific about my criticisms last year. What do all of who now magically see the light of what he did last year like about what he did? Specifically.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco has probably grown/developed as a head coach just as much as the players over the past year. He had a $#1t ton of head scratching decisions last season. He had his fair share this year too, but significantly reduced. His in game management improved a great deal, and if it improves as much over this off-season... look out. I get the sense (no way to know for sure) he started listening to some of the people he surrounded himself with, and probably most importantly....having a solid game managing QB under center (who remained healthy for 10 1/4 games this season) was HUGE.

Reaction Score
Not that it matters to anyone but I stand by my criticisms of last year. I don't think leaving Geremy Davis on the bench for crucial 3rd downs makes one bit of difference this year. If anything helped us last year it was Summers getting inserted into the lineup and cutting his teeth, and he only started because Byron Jones got hurt.

I am more than willing to admit I was wrong about what this team could accomplish this year. I suspect a lot of the blind faithers were wrong too.

By the way, almost everyone agrees that a teardown and rebuild was necessary. There are more than a few ways to accomplish that. I was very specific about my criticisms last year. What do all of who now magically see the light of what he did last year like about what he did? Specifically.

Actually Jimmy most of the constant whining came from people who clearly didn't understand or accept the tear down, and there are 10 months worth of posts to support that. The ability to recognize that the coaches know more than you or I isn't blind faith. Fact is too many clowns think they know or could do it better, yet every decision they make is in hind sight and influenced by other opinions that they regurgitate, we don't know crap. If this team continues on the path it's on good things will come, and the brotherhood of the miserable can claim they knew it all along and were on board the whole time. But we all know different don't we.

Reaction Score
Actually Jimmy most of the constant whining came from people who clearly didn't understand or accept the tear down, and there are 10 months worth of posts to support that. The ability to recognize that the coaches know more than you or I isn't blind faith. Fact is too many clowns think they know or could do it better, yet every decision they make is in hind sight and influenced by other opinions that they regurgitate, we don't know crap. If this team continues on the path it's on good things will come, and the brotherhood of the miserable can claim they knew it all along and were on board the whole time. But we all know different don't we.

Very weak post. The prior coaching staff knew more about the personnel and more about football than we'll ever know. Should we not have criticized PGDL? Part of being a fan occasionally involves criticizing the coaches. If you don't have the stomach for that I would suggest that fan message boards probably aren't for you.

We're going bowling. Why not enjoy the ride instead of being so angry and bitter towards people who dared to criticize last year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's funny that Diaco himself has admitted he made mistakes last year and claims he has grown as a coach. Also amazing what happens when you have competent QB play.

Whatever. I'm over last year. We're way way way ahead of where I thought we'd be. I'm happy to have been wrong about that.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It's funny that Diaco himself has admitted he made mistakes last year and claims he has grown as a coach. Also amazing what happens when you have competent QB play.

Whatever. I'm over last year. We're way way way ahead of where I thought we'd be. I'm happy to have been wrong about that.

So, he was a great assistant coach, came to uconn, forgot how to coach and then learned in the off season?

Or, he came into a terrible situation, coached his a off, and it took a year too see the results?

Diaco is a growth guy. He is always going to say he improved but only stubborn idiots think his statement means he just learned how to coach again.

Reaction Score
Very weak post. The prior coaching staff knew more about the personnel and more about football than we'll ever know. Should we not have criticized PGDL? Part of being a fan occasionally involves criticizing the coaches. If you don't have the stomach for that I would suggest that fan message boards probably aren't for you.

We're going bowling. Why not enjoy the ride instead of being so angry and bitter towards people who dared to criticize last year?

Let's see a sample size of less than a season before you start complaining or two and a half seasons...yeah I can see where you would think they were the same. I'm happy for you being over last year, you should be by now. But I'm willing to bet that the first setback and your true colors will come out again as will many others. And there's a world of difference between a constructive critcism and what is done here routinely, an dif you don't have the stomach for being called out on it I would recommend not posting stupid crap, it goes both ways Jimmy that's what you fail to grasp as usual.

Reaction Score
Let's see a sample size of less than a season before you start complaining or two and a half seasons...yeah I can see where you would think they were the same. I'm happy for you being over last year, you should be by now. But I'm willing to bet that the first setback and your true colors will come out again as will many others. And there's a world of difference between a constructive critcism and what is done here routinely, an dif you don't have the stomach for being called out on it I would recommend not posting stupid crap, it goes both ways Jimmy that's what you fail to grasp as usual.

Happy Thanksgiving

Reaction Score
So, he was a great assistant coach, came to uconn, forgot how to coach and then learned in the off season?

Or, he came into a terrible situation, coached his a off, and it took a year too see the results?

Diaco is a growth guy. He is always going to say he improved but only stubborn idiots think his statement means he just learned how to coach again.

I don't expect you, Jerry, or the other merry band of idiots to understand.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
I don't expect you, Jerry, or the other merry band of idiots to understand.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And yet here we are, the idiots, be proven right and you're too much of DB to admit you're a DB and own it like a man! See I can do the name calling to you child!

Reaction Score
And yet here we are, the idiots, be proven right and you're too much of DB to admit you're a DB and own it like a man! See I can do the name calling to you child!

Seriously, are you ok? A legitimate question was asked. I answered the question without calling anyone names. If you want to see who the first person to call anyone names here was, read through your posts.

It's unstable know nothings like yourself that makes it hard to come here and have legitimate discussion. Nobody's been proven right about anything. As the question was asked, there's no way to prove anything. You have your opinion, I have mine. Seriously, take a nap. You're acting like a lunatic.

Reaction Score
You're right again Jimmy it's everyone else, you do nothing wrong you don't whine or act like a DB ever you didn't call anyone names, you called all the good things we are seeing now, you are a god amongst men. Feel better, BTW you responded to me, so seriously if you don't like it don't respond, or are you really just to stupid to get that? You don't make the rules or get to say who can and cannot have an opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom