Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The point is kids didn't get a degree even though they were in school for several years. It happens. The second point is that anyone who believes kids who are on the road for 50% or more of the spring semester are actually getting an education are really deluding themselves. It's not happening. The NCAA should allow fewer credits to be taken in the spring.

You're talking about NCAA/institutional issues, and it's completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

Reaction Score
We didn't turn Kasongo away. It was down to UConn and Oregon, he picked Oregon. Then he wasn't admitted. Odds are, he wouldn't have been admitted to UConn either, but we still wanted him.

Ace is correct - it was the Gone with the Wind of recruiting sagas, but at the end of the day we did turn Kasongo away. All signs were pointing to a commitment to us, then he committed to Oregon (or someone committed to Oregon on his behalf), then he decommitted from Oregon, then he gave indications on twitter that he wanted to commit to us, then there were several more starts and stops, then at some point our staff said 'this is nuts, no thank you'. After we backed off, he committed for a final time to Oregon and that's how it remained...until Oregon decommitted from him.

I'm not sure how probative the Kasongo saga is on the issue of how much we were weighing potential academic issues in our recruiting at the time. But on the technical point of whether we still wanted him when he made his final commitment to Oregon - we didn't.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the Boneyard 30 for 30 documentary on this poor kid.

"What if I told you that having handlers manage your recruitment isn't always a good thing? That sometimes, even Oregon cares about your grades? Or that it is never a good thing when your name can be turned into a verb. The Boneyard presents, Kasongo'd: The story of accruing far too many frequent flier miles."

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Three new predictions to UNLV yesterday and today.

Anyone have any news?

Reaction Score
Plus UNLV is really good with underachieving academic kids.:oops: - just a rumor

Reaction Score
I really don't mind if he doesnt come here. I don't see him putting on any weight and being able to guard the 3 spot.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Aside from the academic issues... from a need perspective for our team in 15-18.. We don't really need an athletic 3-4 tweener. We need a big and a Guard/Wing who can hit shots. Mack and Stone would be ideal. We will then again need another 5 for 16-17 as stone is a one and done, brimah will be gone by then and Nolan will have graduated.

Reaction Score
Aside from the academic issues... from a need perspective for our team in 15-18.. We don't really need an athletic 3-4 tweener. We need a big and a Guard/Wing who can hit shots. Mack and Stone would be ideal. We will then again need another 5 for 16-17 as stone is a one and done, brimah will be gone by then and Nolan will have graduated.
He is a guard or a wing, with great height, length, and athleticism.
I really don't mind if he doesnt come here. I don't see him putting on any weight and being able to guard the 3 spot.
Based on what do you make this assumption?

Reaction Score
He is a guard or a wing, with great height, length, and athleticism.

Based on what do you make this assumption?
With what we have now on our team I wouldn't be disappointed if went elsewhere. Facey and a bunch of other guards will be here and it's not like Jones is a blue chip recruit. UConn always has a backup plan.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The whispers about academic issues scare me more than the lack of a jump shot.

If he comes here I'll cheer for him and support him as I've done for every Husky, but I won't be heartbroken if he ends up elsewhere.

Mack, on the other hand...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, for f---'s sake...a bunch of nitwits change their nitwit predictions and now all of a sudden we're running Jones down.

If anyone thinks we would not be improved by adding Derrick Jones, they're defective. And not a one of you have any idea where he stands academically, so stop.

Reaction Score
The crappie ball is a marketing tool. Only really insightful the last week or few days. Do not get sucked in

Reaction Score
Well, he can dunk, thats for sure. He must weigh no more than 140 lbs. Kid's a pogo stick in human form.

Reaction Score
gobs gobs gobs gobs on gobs of potential.his gather on lay ups/flushes, are elite. tier 1. him and adams would turn into one of the most bouncy duos in hoops period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom