Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course they are not interchangeable.

But ... in the universe of three kids with similar skillsets, we can play one off against the other AND get a predictable one good Commitment. We have done this in our past; and will continue.

Add to that Facey, maybe Hamilton and guys like Purvis, Calhoun and Cassell Jr who can help KO begin to like a 3-guard set and you now have literally no way they both come here! Give me Mack tomorrow and I'll sign up in a second. I love the guys who can shoot, handle and have the mid range game even if not as explosive as the elite athletes. I'll take Jones don't get me wrong but I'm not feeling his game like the others. All that freakish dunking stops when guys are all bigger...........need some game, which hopefully he is working on (as well as his grades)

Reaction Score
Two predictions today for Jones, and one had been a UConn prediction. My optimistic side says this could be the result of an imminent Mack commitment.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Two predictions today for Jones, and one had been a UConn prediction. My optimistic side says this could be the result of an imminent Mack commitment.

And if not we commence the irrational meltdown.

Reaction Score
Today's picks for Jones on the eve of a UNLV visit shows how silly this tool is. Yes - sure a chance he might end up there in the end, but far from being a done deal. Grades are the major issue with Jones. A late decsion is not the end of the world from UCONN perspective. Although - securing
Mack now would be ideal and this all becomes a non-issue.

Reaction Score
Today's picks for Jones on the eve of a UNLV visit shows how silly this tool is. Yes - sure a chance he might end up there in the end, but far from being a done deal. Grades are the major issue with Jones. A late decsion is not the end of the world from UCONN perspective. Although - securing
Mack now would be ideal and this all becomes a non-issue.

Well we all know grades will not be of any issue or concern to UNLV....

Perhaps that is their angle and why he is so interested.

Reaction Score
The one year ban and APR scores were a sham.

But we had some serious academic issues. We've gotten that straightened out, but are in no position to throw shade on other schools for academics. It makes us look bad.

Reaction Score
The one year ban and APR scores were a sham.

But we had some serious academic issues. We've gotten that straightened out, but are in no position to throw shade on other schools for academics. It makes us look bad.

As an academic institution, UNLV isn't in Connecticut's universe. A bunch of guys transferring out all at once doesn't negate the actual standards of the school.

Reaction Score
As an academic institution, UNLV isn't in Connecticut's universe. A bunch of guys transferring out all at once doesn't negate the actual standards of the school.

No, it's not. But that a bunch of guys transferred wasn't the problem. The problem was what they were (or were not) doing, before they transferred out.

UConn admissions will make accommodations for athletes. If grades were that much of an issue, we wouldn't even be recruiting him.

Reaction Score
No, it's not. But that a bunch of guys transferred wasn't the problem. The problem was what they were (or were not) doing, before they transferred out. Nothing they did negates the standards of the school. But the school standards aren't even relevant, since they are frequently adjusted to accommodate for athletes.

I think the standards are pretty relevant now, look at all the guys the school/staff has turned away from over the past couple of years that are turning up ineligible at other schools(XRM, Jordan Bell, Kasongo, etc), or just snaking in after being in NCAA limbo(Kuran Iverson).

Reaction Score
No, it's not. But that a bunch of guys transferred wasn't the problem. The problem was what they were (or were not) doing, before they transferred out.

UConn admissions will make accommodations for athletes. If grades were that much of an issue, we wouldn't even be recruiting him.

One of the guys was a 4th year senior.

Reaction Score
I think the standards are pretty relevant now, look at all the guys the school/staff has turned away from over the past couple of years that are turning up ineligible at other schools(XRM, Jordan Bell, Kasongo, etc), or just snaking in after being in NCAA limbo(Kuran Iverson).

You're correct, I misspoke and edited my post.

But we do make accommodations, and since the school can't comment on recruits, we don't know who we turned away or who turned away from us. It's all speculation. We didn't turn Kasongo away. It was down to UConn and Oregon, he picked Oregon. Then he wasn't admitted. Odds are, he wouldn't have been admitted to UConn either, but we still wanted him.

Reaction Score
You're correct, I misspoke and edited my post.

But we do make accommodations, and since the school can't comment on recruits, we don't know who we turned away or who turned away from us. It's all speculation. We didn't turn Kasongo away. It was down to UConn and Oregon, he picked Oregon. Then he wasn't admitted. Odds are, he wouldn't have been admitted to UConn either, but we still wanted him.

He picked Oregon and then backed out, wanted to go with UConn and UConn decided to move on. Of course the standards for athletes are different than students, but it seems pretty clear to me that they are showing alot more discretion on guys now after the taking questionable guys in the past that led to the APR mess ups.

Reaction Score
One of the guys was a 4th year senior.
What's your point?

We never should have been banned, the retroactive changing of the rules, and new punishment was total BS. It's amazing that the NCAA could do that, make UConn look bad in the process, and just about the only one out there calling them out and supporting UConn was Bilas.

But let's not pretend we didn't have issues.

Reaction Score
He picked Oregon and then backed out, wanted to go with UConn and UConn decided to move on. Of course the standards for athletes are different than students, but it seems pretty clear to me that they are showing alot more discretion on guys now after the taking questionable guys in the past that led to the APR mess ups.
Kasongo picked Oregon, then was denied admission.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...orida-california-denied-admission-recruitment

The comments were "grades are the major issue for Jones" and "we all know grades will not be of any issue or concern to UNLV"

Well if grades are a "major issue", why are we still recruiting him? We've shown more discretion, but from the perspective of the general CBB fan, most of whom believe UConn was justly punished, and think UConn gives 0 f((ks about academics, would say we are throwing stones from a glass house.

My opinion is it makes us look bad, even if it may be accurate. We're a top 5 program, we're better than that. Comments like that sound like something that would come from a Villanova or PC fan.

Reaction Score
Kasongo picked Oregon, then was denied admission.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...orida-california-denied-admission-recruitment

The comments were "grades are the major issue for Jones" and "we all know grades will not be of any issue or concern to UNLV"

Well if grades are a "major issue", why are we still recruiting him? We've shown more discretion, but from the perspective of the general CBB fan, most of whom believe UConn was justly punished, and think UConn gives 0 f((ks about academics, would say we are throwing stones from a glass house.

My opinion is it makes us look bad, even if it may be accurate. We're a top 5 program, we're better than that. Comments like that sound like something that would come from a Villanova or PC fan.
Either he qualifies or he doesn't. If he doesn't, no Div. 1 school can take him.

Reaction Score
What's your point?

We never should have been banned, the retroactive changing of the rules, and new punishment was total BS. It's amazing that the NCAA could do that, make UConn look bad in the process, and just about the only one out there calling them out and supporting UConn was Bilas.

But let's not pretend we didn't have issues.

The point is kids didn't get a degree even though they were in school for several years. It happens. The second point is that anyone who believes kids who are on the road for 50% or more of the spring semester are actually getting an education are really deluding themselves. It's not happening. The NCAA should allow fewer credits to be taken in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom