Deng v. Deng | The Boneyard

Deng v. Deng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Summer question du jour.

In light of Luol Deng going to the Heat, I was thinking about his brother, Ajou Ajou Deng, once predicted (by pundits like Billy Packer and Dick Vitale) as possibly the best player ever at UConn, last seen playing with the PAWS London Capitals in 2009. Luol has had a very good NBA career whereas Ajou's basketball career never lived up the the hype. I think both had/have the tools to play in the NBA and obviously one didn't. What does the Boneyard think was the difference between these two players -- whas it skill... or attitude... or something completely different?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Summer question du jour.

In light of Luol Deng going to the Heat, I was thinking about his brother, Ajou Ajou Deng, once predicted (by pundits like Billy Packer and Vitale) as possibly the best player ever at UConn, last seen playing with the PAWS London Capitals in 2009. Luol has had a very good NBA career whereas Ajou's basketball career never lived up the the hype. I think both had/have the tools to play in the NBA and obviously one didn't. What does the Boneyard think was the difference between these two players -- whas it skill... or attitude... or something completely different?

I don't think Ajou had the tools/skills to make the NBA.

He had the tools to look -- on a mixtape -- like a cross between Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett. But that's not basketball. Being able to hit a 3 one day, spin into the lane and finish another day, and then block a shot into the 20th row a third day doesn't mean you can be a difference maker on a game-to-game level. The question of whether it was something about being at UConn that caused him not to fulfill his potential was answered by his mediocre play at Fairfield.

There aren't any 6'10" players in the NBA who can't shoot, rebound or defend at an elite level. Being OK at all 3 isn't good enough. You need to excel at one of them.

Luol Deng has a fairly complete offensive game. He was more polished as a freshman than Ajou has ever been.

IMO, Ajou was all hype. He could do a lot of nice things, but he never demonstrated the ability to play basketball at a high level.

Reaction Score
Summer question du jour.

In light of Luol Deng going to the Heat, I was thinking about his brother, Ajou Ajou Deng, once predicted (by pundits like Billy Packer and Vitale) as possibly the best player ever at UConn, last seen playing with the PAWS London Capitals in 2009. Luol has had a very good NBA career whereas Ajou's basketball career never lived up the the hype. I think both had/have the tools to play in the NBA and obviously one didn't. What does the Boneyard think was the difference between these two players -- whas it skill... or attitude... or something completely different?

One of them played against chairs and won while the other played against Emeka and lost.

Reaction Score
I don't think Ajou had the tools/skills to make the NBA.

He had the tools to look -- on a mixtape -- like a cross between Kevin Durant and Kevin Garnett. But that's not basketball. Being able to hit a 3 one day, spin into the lane and finish another day, and then block a shot into the 20th row a third day doesn't mean you can be a difference maker on a game-to-game level. The question of whether it was something about being at UConn that caused him not to fulfill his potential was answered by his mediocre play at Fairfield.

There aren't any 6'10" players in the NBA who can't shoot, rebound or defend at an elite level. Being OK at all 3 isn't good enough. You need to excel at one of them.

Luol Deng has a fairly complete offensive game. He was more polished as a freshman than Ajou has ever been.

IMO, Ajou was all hype. He could do a lot of nice things, but he never demonstrated the ability to play basketball at a high level.
I think that's a little harsh. You are forgetting his injuries. I do agree that Ajou likely didn't have the combo of speed and strength to succeed at the NBA level, but I'm not 100% sure on that due to his injuries. Once he was slowed by foot injuries he was a different player. By the time he got to Fairfield he couldn't practice at all and could only play limited minutes.

But there were a few sequences in Ajou's UConn career where he took over games and showed glimpse of what might have been. I particularly remember a stretch against Georgetown where he block a few shots, got steals, converted in transition and absolutely took over a game. But a stretch here and there does not an NBA player make. I think the biggest difference is body strength and Ajou didn't have the skeletal or muscular strength his younger brother possesses.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Summer question du jour.

Ajou's lack of success at the pro level says more about those who thought he was the second coming than about his potential at any level.

Predicting future stars is a crap shoot. I can't believe people pay money to read what the 'experts' have to say.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I think Ajou Deng and Ater Majok both would've benefitted from a full four years under Calhoun. The hype pretty much worked against both of those guys.
Imagine if Majok could've been around for the 2011 magic.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, he was terrific in high school - agile, mobile, coordinated, and 6'10, high percentage shooter out to the free throw line, 25% shooter from 3, an ability to dribble not far off from Deandre Daniels, great timing as a shotblocker. He averaged about 7 blocked shots per game in the AAU games I saw. He was slender and weak but in AAU that didn't matter. AAU was a guard oriented game and guards couldn't do anything within 8 feet of the basket with Deng around.

But, he never put muscle on his slender frame. He didn't like the game of an interior basketball player. He was crippled by foot injuries. Between injuries and lack of strength, he couldn't do much on court. He thought he could play on the perimeter but he couldn't. Very disappointing not to fulfill his potential. He could have been Hilton Armstrong.

Horatio

Reaction Score
Summer question du jour.
Ajou Ajou Deng, once predicted (by pundits like Billy Packer and Vitale) as possibly the best player ever at UConn

This was so wrong when they spoke those words. It really was an injustice to the kid and sealed his doom. I believe it was said while he was in street clothes and we were playing Duke for our first title. C'mon man. The whole world heard those words. To much pressure for the poor kid.

Reaction Score
I saw Ajou a couple of times during the fall at captains practices that year vs many solid Husky players. He looked really good and his ceiling was very high……..he could have been special but he needed to gain weight and have patience. Much the same for Ater…….

Horatio

Reaction Score
I saw Ajou a couple of times during the fall at captains practices that year vs many solid Husky players. He looked really good and his ceiling was very high……..he could have been special but he needed to gain weight and have patience. Much the same for Ater…….

I remember Pictures of Ater before the 2011 season and he did gain weight and got muscular . I have to admit that I thought a combination of Alex and chuck wasn't going to be enough that year . I thought we needed Ater and actually was looking forward to his progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom