Days Later It Still Rankles | The Boneyard

Days Later It Still Rankles

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A rankle is defined as an annoyance that persists, so the days later think may be viewed by some pedantic linguists here as a redundancy ... no matter.

It is this that rankles: "We knew it was going to take 40 minutes" to beat UConn, forward Myisha Hines-Allen said. "We only played 30. If you take the first quarter out, that game is ours."

Life doesn't work like that of course. And it took a Louisville supporter/blogger to succinctly set the matter to rest for me. So I pass it one here in case others here continue to chew on Hines-Allen's words like a piece of gristly meat. A friend on another blog found and published this little gem:

"Some might find some consolation in the fact that the UofL women outscored UConn 38-27 in the second half. They would have to acknowledge that the Huskies were never seriously threatened. Had they been, would there have been still another surge?

Coach Jeff Walz may have convinced his pupils that they could play with UConn after the first quarter, and they did hang around. By then it was too late, his charges totally unprepared and unequipped to handle the initial mugging..... Pretty obvious that it’s going to take more than just trading baskets with UConn for a couple of quarters to ever seriously threaten the Huskies."

Familiar script for Louisville women against UConn | |

I feel so much better now. :cool::)

Reaction Score
It is both the case that we were never seriously threatened, and also the case that Louisville found over the final 3 quarters a formula for slowing us down that they and other teams can exploit in the future.

You don't think that, if we could have, we would have blown them out? Geno intentionally took his foot off the gas after 10 minutes?

Reaction Score
A rankle is defined as an annoyance that persists, so the days later think may be viewed by some pedantic linguists here as a redundancy ... no matter.

It is this that rankles: "We knew it was going to take 40 minutes" to beat UConn, forward Myisha Hines-Allen said. "We only played 30. If you take the first quarter out, that game is ours."

Life doesn't work like that of course. And it took a Louisville supporter/blogger to succinctly set the matter to rest for me. So I pass it one here in case others here continue to chew on Hines-Allen's words like a piece of gristly meat. A friend on another blog found and published this little gem:

"Some might find some consolation in the fact that the UofL women outscored UConn 38-27 in the second half. They would have to acknowledge that the Huskies were never seriously threatened. Had they been, would there have been still another surge?

Coach Jeff Walz may have convinced his pupils that they could play with UConn after the first quarter, and they did hang around. By then it was too late, his charges totally unprepared and unequipped to handle the initial mugging..... Pretty obvious that it’s going to take more than just trading baskets with UConn for a couple of quarters to ever seriously threaten the Huskies."

Sometimes humorous to listen to how losing teams try to reduce their pain. Year after year I see the Patriots build up a big lead then dare the other team to run, using up the clock and ensuring a win. Uninformed announcers comment on how the losing team outgained the Patriots as if that matters. Same with UConn and UofL. While suspect Geno will use the second half for future motivation, it was obvious that he walked the ball up the court by plan, a plan that still had UConn in control.

Reaction Score
This, basically, is my feeling every time I read one of those "if only" justifications for why X is as good as or better than Y except for. What makes anyone think that UConn would have played Louisville the same way over the final three quarters had the game been on the line rather than safely tucked away in the "W" column?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

This doesn't rankle me, I love it. It's pure ignorance. It's like when they say, "we would have won if we made more free throws" as if you just get to add x-number of points at the end. Games don't work like that. Keep thinking that way, Myisha. You'll get popped even worse next time.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It is both the case that we were never seriously threatened, and also the case that Louisville found over the final 3 quarters a formula for slowing us down that they and other teams can exploit in the future.

You don't think that, if we could have, we would have blown them out? Geno intentionally took his foot off the gas after 10 minutes?

I mean yes. If everything I read on this board is somewhat accurate regarding your team. Which coach in his right mind would want to flog his players who are carrying injuries. No way any team was coming backing after the first quarter or even the first half. Coaches slow the game down for exactly that reason. Can't play a half court game and make up a deficit like that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This sounds familiar and hollow:
upload_2018-2-15_11-44-28.png

Dawn Staley
USC took UConn’s best shot and flopped. Dawn Staley seems mostly OK with that
I like the fact that at least one reporter is calling Dawn out on this.

Reaction Score

LOL... your right that Geno did not take the foot off the gas. However, to the point that I think was trying to be made, UConn would have reacted and played differently if the score was different. Perhaps a timeout or two would have called, or the subbing would have been different, or maybe the players themselves would have responded differently to what was being done to them. Also, outside of a grueling battle that went to the last second of overtime, this team has also proved it can win close games, over the last couple of years, as rare as they are against them. So it is still rather presumptuous of them to assume they would have won the game even without the 1st quarter. Lastly, just as they can say they should have played better in spots and it would have changed this or that we can say the same.

Reaction Score
Whenever UCONN builds up a significant early lead against a good opponent, I start keeping track of how many points per minute are needed to overcome the lead. It's a feel good exercise, because big leads (with the exception of Notre Dame's devastating beat down of Tennessee) are not often overcome.

Time is the enemy. A 20 point lead at the half only requires a 1.05 point make up, but as time dwindles, the make up points needed start to expand, and each leader's score starts to have a big impact on points per minute needed to overcome the lead.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whenever UCONN builds up a significant early lead against a good opponent, I start keeping track of how many points per minute are needed to overcome the lead. It's a feel good exercise, because big leads (with the exception of Notre Dame's devastating beat down of Tennessee) are not often overcome.

Time is the enemy. A 20 point lead at the half only requires a 1.05 point make up, but as time dwindles, the make up points needed start to expand, and each leader's score starts to have a big impact on points per minute needed to overcome the lead.
Another similar and great way to convey this same outlook graphically is what ESPN does with the win probability charting.
Louisville vs. Connecticut - Game Summary - February 12, 2018 - ESPN
What the charting shows is that once Louisville fell behind by 18 at the end of the First quarter UCONN had a 92% chance of winning the game. That UCONN probability of win NEVER dropped below 90% for the remainder of the game and actually increased at both the end of the half and the third quarter.

upload_2018-2-15_12-32-7.png

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No, but Lou and Gabby played all 40 minutes. They need more rest and Z and Megan need to play more consistently. I only wish Batouly was 100 percent healthy. You can see the athlete in her.
Which is one of the reasons why Geno had to slow the pace. A pace that was killing Louisville. The other reason was Crystal was unable to run the point for most of the 2nd half. Nevertheless Z and Megan would play more consistently if they would be more consistent. Which is what I believe you mean.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the frustration Louisville must’ve felt, and so I understand where they’re coming from.

Having said that, the statement , “We would’ve won but for…” Is one that can be expressed in virtually every competition.

But for the hanging curveball, we would not have given up the three run homer in the ninth.

But for the fumble on the goal line, we would’ve scored.

But for the double fault on serve, I would’ve won the second game of the set.

But for the shot that Hit the crossbar, we would’ve tied the score and gone into overtime.

But for the shot into the bunker on the 15th hole, I would’ve held onto my one-stroke lead and won the Masters.

And so it goes…

If I was Louisville’s coach, I would caution against the belief that a difference of play in one quarter would’ve changed the outcome.

Reaction Score
It is hard not to like Walz. His post-game was hilarious.

But I saw no indication in the game that he has taught his players team offense or defense. On offense, his teams have always relied on individual efforts of a few great players and it was true this game (10 assists.) They were never able to stop UConn from getting to the basket or getting open perimeter shots. UConn just missed a bunch of both.

In other words, despite ND's decimated roster and the huge loss to Louisville, I would rather meet a Walz -coached team in March

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I feel better now ,too. Thanks. Like a you gave us a literary Pepto Bismol to rid us of the dreaded rankle! :eek:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
"If you take the first quarter out, that game is ours." That leaves me, a pedantic linguist at times, thoroughly unrankled.

Here's a slightly more formal paraphrase of the young lady's statement:

If you were to take the first quarter out, that game would be ours.

Note the italics. Subjunctive followed by conditional. The subjunctive is used to express a condition contrary to fact. In other words, the statement refers to an alternate universe, not to the reality that took place on the court.

Remember the ND game? If you take the fourth quarter out, we would have lost.
But those pesky rules somehow require that the cumulative points scored in all four quarters get summed to determine the winner.

I'd bet a buffalo nickel that Ms. Hines-Allen and teammates are still rankled by their own first quarter performance.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
"In other words, despite ND's decimated roster and the huge loss to Louisville, I would rather meet a Walz -coached team in March"

Totally agree with you, itsaport. A Walz team will never hang together, they will hang separately, when things get tough. A therein lies part of their issues with UCWBB.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I appreciate the frustration Louisville must’ve felt, and so I understand where they’re coming from.
Having said that, the statement , “We would’ve won but for…” Is one that can be expressed in virtually every competition.
But for the hanging curveball, we would not have given up the three run homer in the ninth.
But for the fumble on the goal line, we would’ve scored.
But for the double fault on serve, I would’ve won the second game of the set.
But for the shot that Hit the crossbar, we would’ve tied the score and gone into overtime.
But for the shot into the bunker on the 15th hole, I would’ve held onto my one-stroke lead and won the Masters.
And so it goes…
If I was Louisville’s coach, I would caution against the belief that a difference of play in one quarter would’ve changed the outcome.
My daughter who is involved in HS coaching and I were having a great conversation the other day. She was having an argument with the head coach because the head coach had instructed her to burn the game film of a game her team had not played particular well in. My daughter said: "I'm pretty sure if we want to burn the film that other coach would want to watch it. If he watches it, he can learn from it. If we don't watch it, we can't learn, therefore he wins again. I am going to watch and at least let you know what I think."

Reaction Score
“Whenever you look back and say "if" you know you're in trouble. There is no such thing as "if". The only thing that matters is what really happened.”
D.J. MacHale, The Merchant of Death

When players or fans use the “if” word to me I always tell them maybe they’re right, but they might consider that “if” pigs had wings they might be eagles too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“Whenever you look back and say "if" you know you're in trouble. There is no such thing as "if". The only thing that matters is what really happened.”
D.J. MacHale, The Merchant of Death

When players or fans use the “if” word to me I always tell them maybe they’re right, but they might consider that “if” pigs had wings they might be eagles too.

upload_2018-2-15_11-54-36.jpeg

So cute!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oh well. What ever floats Louisville's boat. Bottom line:

UConn = W
Louisville = L

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors