Days Later It Still Rankles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Days Later It Still Rankles

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
“Whenever you look back and say "if" you know you're in trouble. There is no such thing as "if". The only thing that matters is what really happened.”
D.J. MacHale, The Merchant of Death

When players or fans use the “if” word to me I always tell them maybe they’re right, but they might consider that “if” pigs had wings they might be eagles too.
Tell them to read The Walrus and The Carpenter. Pretty much nails that if thing.

Reaction Score
I would bet a week's pay - a YEAR's pay - that if the first quarter didn't happen they way it did, the remaining quarters wouldn't have happened the way they did.

So, whatever. Let them talk if it makes them feel better. UCONN is a team of young women playing a game, and anything can happen on any given night, especially when competing against an excellent team like Louisville. But no one who knows anything about basketball, or sports in general, could possibly think that a major change in fortune in the first quarter would not have resulted in major changes in the remainder of the game, on multiple levels.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It is this that rankles: "We knew it was going to take 40 minutes" to beat UConn, forward Myisha Hines-Allen said. "We only played 30. If you take the first quarter out, that game is ours."

I understand why this quote could, for some, morph into a full-on, psyche-threatening rankle. But I think we are being a bit servere in our interpretation of Hines-Allen’s words.

I translate or process it as,”If we hadn’t screwed up the first quarter, we might have had a real shot to hang with them.” This is not only less biased, it is also truth.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
In the entire history of UConn v. L'ville, they won only one time, back in the 1990s, when my kids were young, and dinosaurs stalked the earth. That must rankle Jeff & Co. a bit.

rankle (verb)

c. 1300, "to fester," from Old French rancler, earlier raoncler, draoncler "to suppurate, run," from draoncle "abscess, festering sore," from Medieval Latin dracunculus, literally "little dragon," diminutive of Latin draco "serpent, dragon".The notion is of an ulcer caused by a snake's bite. Meaning "cause to fester" is from c. 1400. Related: Rankled; rankling.

source: rankle | Origin and meaning of rankle by Online Etymology Dictionary

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean yes. If everything I read on this board is somewhat accurate regarding your team. Which coach in his right mind would want to flog his players who are carrying injuries. No way any team was coming backing after the first quarter or even the first half. Coaches slow the game down for exactly that reason. Can't play a half court game and make up a deficit like that.

Happens more often than you think though you are right it wasn’t going to happen in this game. Three years ago at home, Florida St led L’ville 25-2 and the game was tied before halftime. Fl St went on to win late in the 4th 68-63 due to Ivy Slaughter.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A rankle is defined as an annoyance that persists, so the days later think may be viewed by some pedantic linguists here as a redundancy ... no matter.

It is this that rankles: "We knew it was going to take 40 minutes" to beat UConn, forward Myisha Hines-Allen said. "We only played 30. If you take the first quarter out, that game is ours."
Familiar script for Louisville women against UConn |
I feel so much better now. :cool::)
That's not right! You just did the old "hey you know what song is really annoying..."I'm too sexy" by Right Said Fred..and then it's stuck in your head and annoys yourself...:confused:

And by the way Myisha, it was only 2 quarters as UConn outscored you in the 2Q....

Reaction Score
A rankle is defined as an annoyance that persists, so the days later think may be viewed by some pedantic linguists here as a redundancy ... no matter.

Life doesn't work like that of course. And it took a Louisville supporter/blogger to succinctly set the matter to rest for me. So I pass it one here in case others here continue to chew on Hines-Allen's words like a piece of gristly meat. A friend on another blog found and published this little gem:

"Some might find some consolation in the fact that the UofL women outscored UConn 38-27 in the second half. They would have to acknowledge that the Huskies were never seriously threatened. Had they been, would there have been still another surge?

Coach Jeff Walz may have convinced his pupils that they could play with UConn after the first quarter, and they did hang around. By then it was too late, his charges totally unprepared and unequipped to handle the initial mugging..... Pretty obvious that it’s going to take more than just trading baskets with UConn for a couple of quarters to ever seriously threaten the Huskies."

Familiar script for Louisville women against UConn | |

I feel so much better now. :cool::)
Hines-Allens facial expressions reminded me of another Louisville player who whined all game Angel McCoughtry.

Reaction Score
It is hard not to like Walz. His post-game was hilarious.

But I saw no indication in the game that he has taught his players team offense or defense. On offense, his teams have always relied on individual efforts of a few great players and it was true this game (10 assists.) They were never able to stop UConn from getting to the basket or getting open perimeter shots. UConn just missed a bunch of both.

In other words, despite ND's decimated roster and the huge loss to Louisville, I would rather meet a Walz -coached team in March
Totally agree!
There's a huge difference between being a very good recruiter who is able to entice big talents to join your program and a real coach who is constantly teaching and ultimately makes their players better.
It starts with the culture and the ongoing demands for excellence in practice and during the games or you don't play. Unfortunately a good # of those here moan and groan about the playing time for Player A or B. Also are those criticisms about a player transferring out for while we don't know, seems her inability to fit in and wanting to go somewhere play a lot and be able to score right away. Ones leaving because it was and is very tough is a good thing for recruiting. It makes those that come here and those that aren't sure, a bit clearer of what's expected.
Time will tell which, if any, of the younger coaches will come close to creating and maintaining what Geno, TVD, and MM have.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I understand why this quote could, for some, morph into a full-on, psyche-threatening rankle. But I think we are being a bit servere in our interpretation of Hines-Allen’s words.

I translate or process it as,”If we hadn’t screwed up the first quarter, we might have had a real shot to hang with them.” This is not only less biased, it is also truth.
Yeah, if she said and meant that, she and Louisville and Walz would be a whole lot better prepared for the last time. It's a very decent, positive interpretation.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Hines-Allens facial expressions reminded me of another Louisville player who whined all game Angel McCoughtry.

I like Hines-Allen A LOT but they needed her in the FIRST quarter to step up and answer with some production and leadership. What did they get? Travels, missed shots, more turnovers. She was awful and wasn’t close to answering. She’s a Senior and she was as lost as anyone. Arica hit her with a nice bounce pass underneath and it bounces off her hands out of bounds. Asia wasn’t ready for competition like this either. She’s good but UConn’s team D was way too much.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ah naw, not our Angel! Yes, in college she could have been T'ed up every game. Total haughty brat. Senior year started to change.

upload_2018-2-15_16-55-29.jpeg

Reaction Score
I like Hines-Allen a lot but they needed her in the first quarter to step up and deliver some results and leadership. She was awful. Travels, missed shots and shell shocked. She wasn’t ready. She’s a senior. Asia wasn’t ready for competition like this either. She’s good but UConn’s team D was way too much for her.
As a player she is tough and physical and also like her. The whiney part wont just hurt her but also her team in the future.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear Geno say he was going to give the team two days off. I don't remember that happening before or at least never heard it commented. Maybe he thought they were fatigued at the end of the game. Anyone have thoughts on the fatigue factor? Did they look fatigued to you?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear Geno say he was going to give the team two days off. I don't remember that happening before or at least never heard it commented. Maybe he thought they were fatigued at the end of the game. Anyone have thoughts on the fatigue factor? Did they look fatigued to you?

Heck yeah they looked tired. They wanted to go for the jugular but were off on shots and couldn’t totally destroy them.

Reaction Score
Remember the ND game? If you take the fourth quarter out, we would have lost.
Since you said ‘we would have lost’, should one say ‘If you took’ instead of ‘if you take’? :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In the entire history of UConn v. L'ville, they won only one time, back in the 1990s, when my kids were young, and dinosaurs stalked the earth. That must rankle Jeff & Co. a bit.

rankle (verb)

c. 1300, "to fester," from Old French rancler, earlier raoncler, draoncler "to suppurate, run," from draoncle "abscess, festering sore," from Medieval Latin dracunculus, literally "little dragon," diminutive of Latin draco "serpent, dragon".The notion is of an ulcer caused by a snake's bite. Meaning "cause to fester" is from c. 1400. Related: Rankled; rankling.

source: rankle | Origin and meaning of rankle by Online Etymology Dictionary
You should look on line for articles, blogs, videos by Kory Stamper. She is a word genius at Merriam Webster. Smart ,sassy,and funny. If you like words, you will surely appreciate her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here in Texas we have a very apt saying for moments like this, perhaps too vulgar for this forum, that hypothesizes about "if my aunt had ..."

Reaction Score
Yes.
Thoughts:
1. The team is all beat up and could use the rest.
2. They have 6 days between games, and the next game is an in-conference cupcake who they've already played - realistically, minimal prep will be required.
3. All the coaches split up and have been seen all over the country recruiting.

Reaction Score
Yes.
Thoughts:
1. The team is all beat up and could use the rest.
2. They have 6 days between games, and the next game is an in-conference cupcake who they've already played - realistically, minimal prep will be required.
3. All the coaches split up and have been seen all over the country recruiting.
I have yet to see our ladies play tired, not maybe somewhat tires but never play tired. Geno is no dope he knows if or when they are playing tired.Mentally, once up a ton
there is some letup but I see the other teams bending over grabbing their shorts in the 4th quarter.Don'y recall see UC

Reaction Score
Lets call it, the' Brenda Friese defense'.....even when we lose by 40....we won the last three minutes !!!!!
Some players/coaches have to take something positive from their loses.
The other manifestation of this is "pre-game" comments, such as "we are not intimidated by UCONN" or "Its just another team",
before they get blown out. When we all know, they should be VERY intimidated.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“We’re going to push this car to the limit so that when race day comes, we know what the limit is,” he said. “We do that every day.”

“We do things to get us tired, and then when we get tired, we do things that require us to be mentally smart,” said Kia Nurse, a junior guard who has hit a remarkable 15 of 19 3-point attempts in this N.C.A.A. tournament."

A great read on UConn's conditioning program. UConn’s Recipe for Success Is to Run, Run and Run Some More

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Happens more often than you think though you are right it wasn’t going to happen in this game. Three years ago at home, Florida St led L’ville 25-2 and the game was tied before halftime. Fl St went on to win late in the 4th 68-63 due to Ivy Slaughter.

Remember that game well, thoroughly enjoyed it but as we agree it wasn't against Uconn :)

Reaction Score

One of the best WBB games in the past few years was another Fl St game . The one point loss in the season opener verse UConn last year.

Reaction Score
Ah naw, not our Angel! Yes, in college she could have been T'ed up every game. Total haughty brat. Senior year started to change.

View attachment 28627
Jeff Walz took over from Collins and during the summer showed Angel videos of her childish actions. He was able to get Angel to see the benefits of playing the game and not acting out. Pretty fair person to person psychology went along with that. Jeff ain't no fool. Geno took Angel a step further and taught her basketball the Geno way. They worked well together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom