Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
As a Stanford fan I agree the refs missed a kicked ball, but SC still would of had to beat Arizona to win the championship. Plus SC missed two point blank shots in the last couple seconds.
As a SC fan, this a fair and succinct summary of the game.

I know we are all competitors and this likely won’t satisfy anyone here, but at the end of the day, both teams won a championship in the last two seasons. Both have something to celebrate - Stanford won a hard-earned title in a most difficult year and South Carolina completed the redemption/comeback story as the wire-to-wire #1.

Reaction Score
Nah. We all can't know who would have won. There were 3 excellent teams that had the best chance. But c'mon you being a pac 10 fan/ dude doesn't matter much. You are a UCONN dude too and look how much you went after them this year before NC State. It's okay / fine but making the comment you make that because you are a pac 10 fan that you are more in-the-know doesn't hold water. It's not a slam. Just that you can't possibly know just as you didn't know about UCONN.
that Oregon team was VASTLY overrated, they lost a game by 10 in a neutral court to Louisville, dropped another one at ASU. I just don't believe they were ever the best team. They won a blowout win at Uconn yes, but so did Baylor and SC blewout Uconn at home. I think after that game people just inflated Oregon because they assumed that was a strong Uconn team and you hadn't seen a UConn team get embarrassed like that at home.

Reaction Score
that Oregon team was VASTLY overrated, they lost a game by 10 in a neutral court to Louisville, dropped another one at ASU. I just don't believe they were ever the best team. They won a blowout win at Uconn yes, but so did Baylor and SC blewout Uconn at home. I think after that game people just inflated Oregon because they assumed that was a strong Uconn team and you hadn't seen a UConn team get embarrassed like that at home.
Any loss by any top team you can make a point to do what you are doing with Oregon and then downplay any of the victories. Sort of like you did with UCONN, right?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of course she enjoyed it. Who wouldn't ?
I will never begrudge Dawn or any other coach for stating the obvious. In Dawn’s case, how many times has she lost to UConn (Geno)? If you are an opposing coach, it always feels great to beat UConn preseason, regular season or post season. If they can pull it off, then they’ve earned the right to say so. Many Boneyarders comment here when we beat Tennessee or Notre Dame about how good it feels. :cool:

Reaction Score
South Carolina had a good team and played well enough to win the championship....but they are not a Dynasty, not by a long shot. In women's college basketball there have only been 3. Louisiana Tech(hope I got that right), Tennessee and UConn. Notre Dame-no, Baylor-no USC-no and a few other pretenders. Did I miss one?

Reaction Score
I will never begrudge Dawn or any other coach for stating the obvious. In Dawn’s case, how many times has she lost to UConn (Geno)? If you are an opposing coach, it always feels great to beat UConn preseason, regular season or post season. If they can pull it off, then they’ve earned the right to say so. Many Boneyarders comment here when we beat Tennessee or Notre Dame about how good it feels. :cool:
The only difference here is the boneyard dislikes Notre Dame and Tennessee and we respect South Carolina.
B&C

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The only difference here is the boneyard dislikes Notre Dame and Tennessee and we respect South Carolina.
B&C
Very true!! :)

Reaction Score
South Carolina had a good team and played well enough to win the championship....but they are not a Dynasty, not by a long shot. In women's college basketball there have only been 3. Louisiana Tech(hope I got that right), Tennessee and UConn. Notre Dame-no, Baylor-no USC-no and a few other pretenders. Did I miss one?
The Qin dynasty, or Ch'in dynasty was the first dynasty of Imperial China, lasting from 221 to 206 BC.

The Han dynasty was the second imperial dynasty of China (202 BC – 220 AD), established by Liu Bang and ruled by the House of Liu.

Yes, the Tennessee and Louisiana Tech Dynasties are relevant to wbb history. Are they relevant to today? Well, Tennessee has a chance because of its resources. I doubt LaTech does.

I am not saying that South Carolina is an established dynasty at this time, but the foundation is there for one to be built given the success of the program since 2017, the resources and dedication of those resources to wbb, and the potential length of remaining career of Dawn given her level of support from the university.

Flash-in-the-pan or emerging dynasty - or somewhere in between?

Reaction Score
The Qin dynasty, or Ch'in dynasty was the first dynasty of Imperial China, lasting from 221 to 206 BC.

The Han dynasty was the second imperial dynasty of China (202 BC – 220 AD), established by Liu Bang and ruled by the House of Liu.

Yes, the Tennessee and Louisiana Tech Dynasties are relevant to wbb history. Are they relevant to today? Well, Tennessee has a chance because of its resources. I doubt LaTech does.

I am not saying that South Carolina is an established dynasty at this time, but the foundation is there for one to be built given the success of the program since 2017, the resources and dedication of those resources to wbb, and the potential length of remaining career of Dawn given her level of support from the university.

Flash-in-the-pan or emerging dynasty - or somewhere in between?
Prior to 221 BC, Immaculata was the WCBB dynasty

Reaction Score
I'm the biggest UConn fan there is, but Dawn is a class act. I admire the stands she takes for Black Lives, Equal rights for women, etc! She has copied Geno's model of how to build a program and kudos to her. We need women coaches who bring competence and class to the game. If you can't see that is who Dawn is, then you need your eyes checked! I will always route against her if Uconn is playing them, but against anyone else, I'm for Dawn!

Reaction Score
Oh my lord.

It's truly unbelievable the number of Boneyard threads that go completely off the rails because some of the SC fans won't rest until they've found a tiny bee in their bonnet.

SMDH
And it amazes me that, after this subject was obviously dropped to allow the thread to go back "on the rail", there are ppl on the BY that insist on stirring the pot again.

What purpose does it serve or goal does it accomplish to bring this back up again days later other than causing more trouble?

Reaction Score
Gamecock fan here. I have enjoyed reading you guys' posts for the last couple of years and have great respect for your program, actually jealously would probably be a better term. But I wanted to congratulate you all on all of your successes and the respect and kindness you show for our - USC's - program. It is uplifting to see and classy. Good luck in the future!

Reaction Score
Gamecock fan here. I have enjoyed reading you guys' posts for the last couple of years and have great respect for your program, actually jealously would probably be a better term. But I wanted to congratulate you all on all of your successes and the respect and kindness you show for our - USC's - program. It is uplifting to see and classy. Good luck in the future!
Nice post #1. Welcome Newb!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom