Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
Yes and Staley 2 and UCONN and Geno 11
It's almost as if some ppl forget that along the way to 11, was 1 then 2 then 3 and so on.

We will continue to add to 2 but we won't forget that along the way to however many Dawn finishes with, was once 2.

Reaction Score
I don’t think two teams in different conferences can schedule to play twice in one year unless one of those games is in a tournament where they aren’t guaranteed to meet. Like last year.
We are South Carolina and UCONN. Surely they'll make an exception for the two of us.

(A measured amt of sarcasm implied.. Tho the two of us, according to the rest of the WBB world, are the darlings of the sport and given special treatment...so why not make it true? ;) )

Reaction Score
would be 3 if not for 2020 covid
I would not agree to that. I think had they had the tournament that Oregon with Sabrina would have come out on top. Now mine is just an educated guess like others who have predicted that SC would have won.... that is the reason we play the game. The game is who determines who wins the title.
Look at how Stanford stopped SC last year. It all comes down to the match ups.....
Had UCONN played Louisville in the final this year... would the outcome have been the same? We do not know... hence the need for the game.

Reaction Score
I don’t think two teams in different conferences can schedule to play twice in one year unless one of those games is in a tournament where they aren’t guaranteed to meet. Like last year.
Good thing WCBB existed before South Carolina became a top tier team, because we can use history to answer this.
UCONN and Tennessee played home and home games for a number of years before Pat Summit had a poor spell and moved to end the games. Many UCONN fans would say that she started to end that around the time of TASS and Taurasi because she hated losing all the time.... but

2000 we played them twice winning in each others home courts UCONN lost by one at home and Kara Lawson ran around the court yelling "We are number 1" and the next rankings came out and UCONN stayed number 1.
2001 we played twice and we lost Sveta down in Knoxville.

If you look at the calendar year in 2000 we played Tennessee 3-1. And that one victory was by 1 point and many believe Williams was fouled on the last shot of the game and should have had free throws... but anyways...

Reaction Score
I would not agree to that. I think had they had the tournament that Oregon with Sabrina would have come out on top. Now mine is just an educated guess like others who have predicted that SC would have won.... that is the reason we play the game. The game is who determines who wins the title.
Look at how Stanford stopped SC last year. It all comes down to the match ups.....
Had UCONN played Louisville in the final this year... would the outcome have been the same? We do not know... hence the need for the game.
Stanford stopped us by way of confusing the sport they were actually playing with kickball and got away with it, which directly led to the points with which they beat us by.

Reaction Score
Wow, I cannot take that seriously. I feel sorry for you.
Wow, I really do not give a frick. Perhaps watch that play. I don't need your pity. I have perfect eyesight and saw it happen for myself as did many others including former basketball players not associated with South Carolina who were covering the game who also commented on it.

Reaction Score
I was responding to the comment that Dawn, who i respect, has accomplished more as a player and coach than anyone in the WORLD. That’s quite a statement.
Bill Russell is still alive.

Reaction Score
Wow, I really do not give a frick. Perhaps watch that play. I don't need your pity. I have perfect eyesight and saw it happen for myself as did many others including former basketball players not associated with South Carolina who were covering the game who also commented on it.
As a Stanford fan I agree the refs missed a kicked ball, but SC still would of had to beat Arizona to win the championship. Plus SC missed two point blank shots in the last couple seconds.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As a Stanford fan I agree the refs missed a kicked ball, but SC still would of had to beat Arizona to win the championship. Plus SC missed two point blank shots in the last couple seconds.
Not to mention the fact that SC was down one with the ball and the chance to play for the last shot. Henderson proceeded to throw the ball to Prechtel with about 15 seconds on the clock. SC had multiple opportunities and didn't make the plays necessary to win the game. Stanford did just enough.

We're already deep in to the silly season I see.

Reaction Score
You do not know that
Ionescu and Oregon were formidable beating the National team….I am sure they also felt like champions….You are assuming like you can predict the future and the past.
haha Kelly Graves winning a title? That's funny.

Reaction Score
This was a really good thread - for 4 pages.

Now, it’s gone off the rails.
I gave my assessment of what happened. I was not rude at all. That person replied in a very condescending manner and unnecessarily so. And I'm not just sitting by quietly while someone acts like a total a**hole for absolutely no reason.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the fact that SC was down one with the ball and the chance to play for the last shot. Henderson proceeded to throw the ball to Prechtel with about 15 seconds on the clock. SC had multiple opportunities and didn't make the plays necessary to win the game. Stanford did just enough.

We're already deep in to the silly season I see.
It's funny that there was an entire thread on this board whining about how Aliyah wasn't called for any fouls while UCONN was and how the disparity in refs not calling her fouls led to points scored that helped us win the game.

Yes. Silly season is definitely upon us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stanford stopped us by way of confusing the sport they were actually playing with kickball and got away with it, which directly led to the points with which they beat us by.
Sarcastic Uh Huh GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Reaction Score
haha Kelly Graves winning a title? That's funny.
Massey had Oregon ranked #1 at the end of the 2020 season:

Massey gave Oregon a 58pct chance of winning a South Carolina-Oregon game.

So, all we know is it highly likely would of been a very good game that either team could of won.

PS- Interestingly, Massey gave Baylor a 54pct chance of beating South Carolina:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I know, right? It wasn't Henny passing the ball to someone wearing a Stanford jersey with 15 seconds on the clock or the missed wide-open layup with 1 second on the clock. It was the kicked ball and layup. Yep, that was it. The only play that mattered. SMH

Reaction Score
I know, right? It wasn't Henny passing the ball to someone wearing a Stanford jersey with 15 seconds on the clock or the missed wide-open layup with 1 second on the clock. It was the kicked ball and layup. Yep, that was it. The only play that mattered. SMH
So much salt. SMH.

Imagine climbing in the bed with Stanford.

Have a little more pride.

Reaction Score
Massey had Oregon ranked #1 at the end of the 2020 season:

Massey gave Oregon a 58pct chance of winning a South Carolina-Oregon game.

So, all we know is it highly likely would of been a very good game that either team could of won.

PS- Interestingly, Massey gave Baylor a 54pct chance of beating South Carolina:
dude I'm a pac 12 dude and I'm telling you they would not have won the title. Kelly Graves is an overhyped hc who only gets by talent, look at how his team fell apart this season 5 transfers. Baylor vs SC woulda been the final, but I don't think Baylor would have repeated.
And after this season isn't it funny that Kansas in the men and SC in the women win their titles.
Guess who were the faves according to Vegas to win the 2020 tournament titles before covid ended the tournaments? Yep Kansas and South Carolina. I believe in things are meant to be and as much as I do not like Bill Self, Kansas prob was going to win the 2020 title.

Reaction Score
I've always admired Dawn Staley since the 1996 Olympics, especially when she coached at Temple while still playing in the WNBA. In 2015 my daughter and I ran into a relative of Dawn's at LAX the weekend before the Final Four coming back from a basketball tournament my 9 year old daughter played in. We had plane tickets and hotel reservations for Tampa, but decided my daughter couldn't miss two days of school for that Final Four because she had missed several days of school a week or two before. We took our daughter to the 2008 Final Four in Tampa.

The relative saw my daughter in her basketball uniform at the airport and struck up a conversation. When my daughter mentioned we were likely going to Final Four, the relative gave me her business card and told me to call her if we went, and said she'd introduce my daughter to Dawn.

Based upon Graves record the past two years I'm less confident than I was in 2020 they would of won, but I think it's highly likely they would of made the Final Four. I saw them beat Stanford in person late February 2020 and it felt like they beat Stanford by a lot more than 8 points. Oregon was dominant in the Pac-12 tournament and on a hot streak. Sabrina is a better Kelsey Plum and Kelsey got Washington to the Final Four in 2016.

Reaction Score
dude I'm a pac 12 dude and I'm telling you they would not have won the title. Kelly Graves is an overhyped hc who only gets by talent, look at how his team fell apart this season 5 transfers. Baylor vs SC woulda been the final, but I don't think Baylor would have repeated.
And after this season isn't it funny that Kansas in the men and SC in the women win their titles.
Guess who were the faves according to Vegas to win the 2020 tournament titles before covid ended the tournaments? Yep Kansas and South Carolina. I believe in things are meant to be and as much as I do not like Bill Self, Kansas prob was going to win the 2020 title.
Nah. We all can't know who would have won. There were 3 excellent teams that had the best chance. But c'mon you being a pac 10 fan/ dude doesn't matter much. You are a UCONN dude too and look how much you went after them this year before NC State. It's okay / fine but making the comment you make that because you are a pac 10 fan that you are more in-the-know doesn't hold water. It's not a slam. Just that you can't possibly know just as you didn't know about UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom