Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
Well crap. Dawn will have to repeat without Rivers. Superb athlete gone portal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We didn't carry the weight of being the #1 ranked team from start to finish in 2017. There wasn't as much pressure and not nearly as big of a target on our backs. 2022 was definitely harder bc it felt like everybody hated us. (Which is fine... Means we are doing well)
Lol, that’s the price of success. Nobody likes the big dog much.

Reaction Score
Well crap. Dawn will have to repeat without Rivers. Superb athlete gone portal.
Wait... WHAT? She was suspended 3 games during the tournament, correct? And we never found out the actual reason why?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if I can put this in words but I originally didn’t warm to her.
However I put my negativity aside after she coached the USA national team. She worked hard and her pride in her team and her country was contagious and she got my respect.
Sh did good. Let the games begin……

Reaction Score
After Boston and the bigs graduate let us evaluate what great she is and the SC program
Similar to right after Stewie’s freshman year and everyone said let’s evaluate UConn after Stewie graduates.

Reaction Score
Ummmm…..

Honestly I don't like comparing Dawn and Pat. Each has influenced the game positively in their own way and each helped grow the game in their own way independent of Pat currently holding a better accomplishment list record-wise in all facets. It just makes me feel uncomfortable to compare the two like I'm being disrespectful.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't like comparing Dawn and Pat. Each has influenced the game positively in their own way and each helped grow the game in their own way independent of Pat currently holding a better accomplishment list record-wise in all facets. It just makes me feel uncomfortable to compare the two like I'm being disrespectful.
I was responding to the comment that Dawn, who i respect, has accomplished more as a player and coach than anyone in the WORLD. That’s quite a statement.

Reaction Score
I was responding to the comment that Dawn, who i respect, has accomplished more as a player and coach than anyone in the WORLD. That’s quite a statement.
Oh I know. I was just saying it makes me kind of uncomfortable when the occasion of comparisons being made happens.

Reaction Score
Ummmm…..

Ummmmm…. I said as a player AND coach. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am. I’ve heard it before so I didn’t just make it up. I didn’t say it to discredit anybody. Another poster said Dawn was arrogant. My comment to them was that she might be Cocky but she could back it up. Her resume is listed below.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ummmmm…. I said as a player AND coach. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am. I’ve heard it before so I didn’t just make it up. I didn’t say it to discredit anybody. Another poster said Dawn was arrogant. My comment to them was that she might be Cocky but she could back it up. Her resume is listed below.
Yes, Pat Summitt was a player before she was a coach, an Olympian. And she was a young coach without the mentoring a lot of current coaches have had. Her resume was linked above.

This isn’t meant as any kind of denigration of Dawn’s accomplishments. Just a rebuttal of the “…in the world” statement

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OMG... This is the truth. They HATE us. They despise Dawn, too. They're like a pack of territorial attack dogs that feel like just bc Dawn and South Carolina are praised and in the spotlight now, it lessens the memory of Pat's accomplishments when one fact can stand independent of the other and both still be true.
Welcome to the club. :)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OMG... This is the truth. They HATE us. They despise Dawn, too. They're like a pack of territorial attack dogs that feel like just bc Dawn and South Carolina are praised and in the spotlight now, it lessens the memory of Pat's accomplishments when one fact can stand independent of the other and both still be true.
It can't be any worse than what they say about UConn and Geno.

Reaction Score
It can't be any worse than what they say about UConn and Geno.
Probably not and of course the only way Dawn gets players is because she cheats. She must have learned how when she was Geno’s assistant with the Olympic team. Nice of Geno to divulge his recruiting strategies to Dawn. In retrospect I bet he wishes he’d not been so helpful. :rolleyes:

And before anybody jumps on me and says I said Geno cheats, I am not. It is sarcasm and I am making fun of Tennessee.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I need a clarification about her comments that coaches should get equal pay. A great sound byte, but what does it mean? Each coach is an individual, regardless of race or sex. There are many factors that go into what a coach should earn. Which two coaches, if any, deserve the exact same salary?
I think we could all agree that a MBB and WBB coach with similar rates of success/championships are not getting paid the same. IMO, that's what she meant.

Reaction Score
Love her or hate her, she’s obviously going to continue attracting players. After it’s all said and done, she will pass Summit for the most championships for a female coach….she may even challenge Geno’s number
Bold statement and wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to early. Let’s wait until at least a “grip” of trophies?

Reaction Score
Wait... WHAT? She was suspended 3 games during the tournament, correct? And we never found out the actual reason why?
I heard it was missing class, but I don't know that for certain.

Reaction Score
I heard it was missing class, but I don't know that for certain.
The timing of that seems curious, tho, bc of when spring break occurred and when the suspension occurred.

Reaction Score
The timing of that seems curious, tho, bc of when spring break occurred and when the suspension occurred.
Yeah, the suspension for missing class is questionable. I’ve followed this program since Dawn got here and I don’t EVER remember anybody being suspended for 3 games for anything.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think we could all agree that a MBB and WBB coach with similar rates of success/championships are not getting paid the same. IMO, that's what she meant.
Probably because they are not bringing in the anywhere near the same revenues re: crowds, broadcast rates etc. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a big fan of Dawn's before I met her years ago at MSG when UConn played against the USA national team.........I was with my younger daughter and Dawn came over and spoke to us for what must have been five minutes......she was funny and extremely nice.......although I hated that UConn lost to SC, I have to admit as a person she certainly won me over.....
She won me over when Bibby was hurt in the SC game played at MSST. First person on the court to comfort Bibby: Dawn Staley! Dawn is a credit to WCBB.

Reaction Score
I have to say, I like her. I don’t particularly like losing to her, but I do like Dawn. She’s bright, funny, and very comfortable in her own skin. I also like that she’s aware of the impact she can have on other coaches in is cognizant of paying it forward.

I like Dawn a lot too.

I appreciate that she appreciated the UConn program. She spoke at length about appreciating Bird and Taurasi on the national team - which shut a lot of people up. And I remember her saying that you can tell when a player is from UConn, culture wise.

I also appreciate, that she didn’t just expect equal treatment and respect by the media. She knew she had to earn it, and she went out and did it.

Reaction Score
Probably because they are not bringing in the anywhere near the same revenues re: crowds, broadcast rates etc. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Except in the case of Dawn, she brought in twice as many fans to home games which means money in the community, eyes on the campus, more recruits and in our case recruits for other sports want to meet with Dawn. She's well worth her money to the school and community.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom