Davis to South Carolina... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Davis to South Carolina...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like a lot of good players want to win the NC and are willing to leave their team and end up at the same place. Right now Dawn Staley seems to be the magnet. IMHO Holly doesn't have the pizzazz, Louisville's coach can draw players in, but Dawn will win out in the end, as mentioned above--Muffett and Geno don't buy into this theory of winning, too many are jumping ship at the other schools and it just feels like a "Miami Heat" moment. As a strong, talented, outrageously accomplished (as a player), African- American woman--she has what many players seek. I think this will be an interesting few years to see if the "Kentucky men's system" comes charging into the women's game.

Reaction Score
Kind of off topic, but how good a job is Machelle Joseph doing at GT? She seems to sign good classes, but have they ever advanced to the Sweet 16? Were they even in NCAA tourney this year?

I personally feel that Coach Joseph is doing a very good job at GA Tech; As good a job as the talent she has will allow. Whether they have met, exceeded, not met expectations is up for debate; A debate to which I could not contribute since my interest in anything Georgia Tech diminished significantly with the departure of Paul Hewitt as their men's coach.
1. GA Tech advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2012 losing to Baylor
2. They were not in the NCAA tournament this past season

Reaction Score
Sounds like a lot of good players want to win the NC and are willing to leave their team and end up at the same place. Right now Dawn Staley seems to be the magnet. IMHO Holly doesn't have the pizzazz, Louisville's coach can draw players in, but Dawn will win out in the end, as mentioned above--Muffett and Geno don't buy into this theory of winning, too many are jumping ship at the other schools and it just feels like a "Miami Heat" moment. As a strong, talented, outrageously accomplished (as a player), African- American woman--she has what many players seek. I think this will be an interesting few years to see if the "Kentucky men's system" comes charging into the women's game.

One would have never believed that Coach K would ever buy into that theory of winning, but buy into it he did. However, I am of the opinion that both Coach Auriemma and Coach McGraw would retire from the game before accepting such a drastic change to their personal and coaching philosophies. We all recall here how quickly Coach Auriemma gave up recruiting junior college players even after having had some success with it. Transfers into UConn are rare as well.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I personally feel that Coach Joseph is doing a very good job at GA Tech; As good a job as the talent she has will allow. Whether they have met, exceeded, not met expectations is up for debate; A debate to which I could not contribute since my interest in anything Georgia Tech diminished significantly with the departure of Paul Hewitt as their men's coach.
1. GA Tech advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2012 losing to Baylor
2. They were not in the NCAA tournament this past season

Yes....this past year was a bit of a disappointment..... but Joseph has done a good job at GT. I just looked it up.... and 7 of the past 9 years they have won at least 20 games and advanced to the NCAAs. They made the ACC finals in 2012.. but lost to MD in a battle that went to the buzzer. As I said in another thread..... its not an easy school to get recruits.

Reaction Score
I cant see Brown at SC. Not enough basketballs.
I can. Kentucky mens program had all americans up and down their roster and made it to the NC game. If brown and Davis both decide to go Sc that's brown, cuevas, Davis, Coates, Wilson as your starters. Although im not sold on Cuevas... but this is what the womens game need. If the men can figure how to make it work why cant the women?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

SC beat writer David Cloninger cites an anonymous source saying Brown transferring to SC is not likely to happen.

Note: There was speculation that transfer Lexie Brown, Maryland’s rising junior point guard and a key to back-to-back Final Four appearances, would try to go with Davis as a package deal. The two native Georgians are reportedly close friends.

A source at USC said that is more than likely not going to happen.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...basketball/article22592355.html#storylink=cpy

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree on Dawn being a magnet - their recruiting seemed to have fallen off after landing Wilson, Cuevas, White etc, but I did not realize the PG they have coming in for their 2015 class (only 1 recruit) is the starting PG on the Canadian National junior team. Add in Davis, will essentially be part of Wilson's class, and that's a solid core.

As Cat said in another post - Starters in 2 years of Cuevas, Davis, Coates, Wilson and White, or take out White and put in that Canadian PG or Lexie Brown, and that's a great core with solid players off the bench. Not super deep, but you don't need super deep in March/April...

Reaction Score
Yes....this past year was a bit of a disappointment..... but Joseph has done a good job at GT. I just looked it up.... and 7 of the past 9 years they have won at least 20 games and advanced to the NCAAs. They made the ACC finals in 2012.. but lost to MD in a battle that went to the buzzer. As I said in another thread..... its not an easy school to get recruits.

This past season seemed to be particularly tough. GT lost a few players to injuries especially in their front court and their only senior, Sydney Wallace. Their leading front court players were 6'0" and 5'10". It is pretty tough to consistently compete in the ACC with no senior leadership, a short front court and a short bench.

Reaction Score
If Brown goes there (if) they can have Davis play the 3, with Brown at the 2, and Cuevas at the point. It's Dawn's job to make them play together. With Wilson up front they would be very athletic with many scoring option. If Brown goes there (if) they could be scary good. Dawn will know what she will get from Davis when she sees her at practice all year and vice versa. Unlike GT, Dawn can win with or without Davis (who must've know she won't be able to go there and shot all the time before deciding to transfer in), so it's fit in or sit. With her dad a former NBA player I think Davis is probably transferring in to learn how to be great while playing with other great players. A skill she'll need if she want wants to play ball after college.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One would have never believed that Coach K would ever buy into that theory of winning, but buy into it he did. However, I am of the opinion that both Coach Auriemma and Coach McGraw would retire from the game before accepting such a drastic change to their personal and coaching philosophies. We all recall here how quickly Coach Auriemma gave up recruiting junior college players even after having had some success with it. Transfers into UConn are rare as well.

It surprised me that Coach K started embracing "one and done" types of players, but it has certainly worked for him. Dawn has only had a couple of JUCO transfers and now Davis since she's been at USC. Imovbioh is a slightly different type of transfer. I'd much rather have 4 year players, but I trust Dawn so I'l go with that.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Margo on Kaela Davis to South Carolina

Reaction Score
Maybe but Dawn seems to embracing the Jeff Walz approach. Stockpile talent without much regard for the chemistry of the players.
LOL. I'm really not trying to be rude, but how did you come to that conclusion ? We're talking about a coach that just had a number 1 recruit and a top 7 league post in Coates come off the bench the ENTIRE last season. After the UCONN loss many questioned if Dawn would change her starting lineup, but I will bet hard earn money she did not choose that alternative because it could have a negative effect on chemistry. Idk man when you make idiotic comments like above ... and yes your last sentence was idiotic to the women game ... it comes off as you may be a little (how should I put this) ... worried about South Carolina ?

I'm sure I will hear from you tomorrow.

Reaction Score
It surprised me that Coach K started embracing "one and done" types of players, but it has certainly worked for him. Dawn has only had a couple of JUCO transfers and now Davis since she's been at USC. Imovbioh is a slightly different type of transfer. I'd much rather have 4 year players, but I trust Dawn so I'l go with that.

Reaction Score
Maybe but Dawn seems to embracing the Jeff Walz approach. Stockpile talent without much regard for the chemistry of the players.

I don't see it. Staley goes deep into her bench perhaps too deep. She will regularly play up to 10 players. She gives players a chance to fail.

I didn't see as many UofLWBB this past season but he seems to have his (short) rotations set early and doesn't deviate. Walz seems has brought in a ton of wing players over the past 2 years and seems to be recruiting a lot of bigs now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And yet, if they are good enough, UCONN will take them. See Natalie Butler on current roster.

Most transfers simply aren't good enough (either skill or mental) to play at UCONN, so there's no sense in giving a scholarship.

Geno largely gave up Jucos because the recruiting became so strong that they didn't need them.

If a Natalie Butler became available every year, Geno would take her every year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see it either. She doesn't have enough elite talent to be accused of "stockpiling" it. This season is her most talented, and it's still miles behind UCONN. This season they have seniors (who will be graduating next year) of Mitchell, Roy, Sessions and Dozier. That means in 2016-2017 they will have...

Wilson, Cuevas, Coates, White, and Davis.

then off the bench they have Farmer, Duckett, Cliney, Davis (Tiffany) and Colley (the PG from Canada).

What am I missing here? Anyone? If that's it, a really solid starting 5, but really zero off the bench. Duckett was a 5 star coming out of HS. What happened to her?

Anyway, SC does not have a bench of even 1 really really good player, never mind a stockpile of them. Maybe Colley will turn out to be good/really good as she's the starting PG on the Canadian JR National team...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't see it either. She doesn't have enough elite talent to be accused of "stockpiling" it. This season is her most talented, and it's still miles behind UCONN. This season they have seniors (who will be graduating next year) of Mitchell, Roy, Sessions and Dozier. That means in 2016-2017 they will have...

Wilson, Cuevas, Coates, White, and Davis.

then off the bench they have Farmer, Duckett, Cliney, Davis (Tiffany) and Colley (the PG from Canada).

What am I missing here? Anyone? If that's it, a really solid starting 5, but really zero off the bench. Duckett was a 5 star coming out of HS. What happened to her?

Anyway, SC does not have a bench of even 1 really really good player, never mind a stockpile of them. Maybe Colley will turn out to be good/really good as she's the starting PG on the Canadian JR National team...

Duckett didn't get a lot of playing time as a freshman with Tiffany Mitchell and Tina Roy in front of her. She may not get a lot of playing time as a sophomore, either. As a junior she will likely backup Davis.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I should have expanded... I think I get what you are asking about with regards to stockpiling. I'm not so sure it's with regards to chemistry - I mean no one ever knows what the team chemistry will be like until the newbies start practicing with the current players. I could see if you said she was recruiting the best players she could find regardless of what position they played - that's something other coaches have done over the years, but i'm not necessarily sure that's the case with Dawn unless you think she is recruiting all wings and post players, and no guards...

Reaction Score
I should have expanded... I think I get what you are asking about with regards to stockpiling. I'm not so sure it's with regards to chemistry - I mean no one ever knows what the team chemistry will be like until the newbies start practicing with the current players. I could see if you said she was recruiting the best players she could find regardless of what position they played - that's something other coaches have done over the years, but i'm not necessarily sure that's the case with Dawn unless you think she is recruiting all wings and post players, and no guards...
It is now past noon in San Diego--How's lunch Eric? You delve deeper with each post--I enjoy that insight. IMHO Dawn knows she is on the doorstep and thought she would get through the door quicker. Her fantastic accomplishments put her in that position. I believe she is still grasping at systems, strategies, etc. because it ain't happening like she expects. She worked with Geno on National teams so she has seen some of his philosophy/system. She picked at it, but she has her own view. Obviously, bringing in the talent was on the list, however, that wasn't enough this year. Staley feels that you can't go wrong if you get any talented kid available--recruit or transfer. It Doesn't seem that she has figured out how to blend the kids together. She is moving forward, but is still a half-step behind. What Phil Jackson and Geno figured out was "how to do the entire package." ND, Stanford, Duke, Tennessee (Holly), Maryland, etc. are all a 1/2 step behind. Pat Summitt had the package. The talent comes first and then the system. But, the coach has to have the iron will to get it done. Pat Summitt was fierce and dominating. Final thought - this past year during a long interview or mini-documentary Dawn Staley said she wanted to be down with the kids. It was important for her to be cool with them. There was also a few seconds of film where the kids where semi-horsing around and there was NO PARENT in the room. The kids were steering the boat. I recorded those moments because it left an impression that was not positive or leading to a NC.

Reaction Score
It is now past noon in San Diego--How's lunch Eric? You delve deeper with each post--I enjoy that insight. IMHO Dawn knows she is on the doorstep and thought she would get through the door quicker. Her fantastic accomplishments put her in that position. I believe she is still grasping at systems, strategies, etc. because it ain't happening like she expects. She worked with Geno on National teams so she has seen some of his philosophy/system. She picked at it, but she has her own view. Obviously, bringing in the talent was on the list, however, that wasn't enough this year. Staley feels that you can't go wrong if you get any talented kid available--recruit or transfer. It Doesn't seem that she has figured out how to blend the kids together. She is moving forward, but is still a half-step behind. What Phil Jackson and Geno figured out was "how to do the entire package." ND, Stanford, Duke, Tennessee (Holly), Maryland, etc. are all a 1/2 step behind. Pat Summitt had the package. The talent comes first and then the system. But, the coach has to have the iron will to get it done. Pat Summitt was fierce and dominating. Final thought - this past year during a long interview or mini-documentary Dawn Staley said she wanted to be down with the kids. It was important for her to be cool with them. There was also a few seconds of film where the kids where semi-horsing around and there was NO PARENT in the room. The kids were steering the boat. I recorded those moments because it left an impression that was not positive or leading to a NC.

Good Point. We never see the UConn players horsing around. Coach Auriemma and Coach Dailey would end such shenanigans immediately with little more than a stare. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Blue Devils you may be right that the Women's game is going to "evolve" at some point and become more like the Men's game, but when and if it does I'll have to find another sport to love, (College lacrosse (M), volleyball (W), both soccers, softball) because I can't get with the "swinging door" philosophy of the men's game. I admit that I find this off-season's flurry of transfers upsetting.

Spend one year getting playing time, scope the competitive landscape, and then invest a year practicing with your new team while encouraging other unhappy players to join you at your new post. That's a pattern that could be repeated elsewhere.

Transfers happen, we have a good one this year, but two and three quality players all bolting at one time to another program can't be good for the game we all care about. If Muffet out-recruits us and we get beaten by her in the tournament (like we did two years in a row recently) then good for her. She got the players she needed to beat us. That goes for Tenn., Baylor, Stanford, SC, and anyone else who can build a program around a quality coach. Harvesting a class from other rosters will ruin our game.

At one time I knew who was on the rosters of every Big East men's team. Now it's hard to keep track of your own 12 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom