Dan Hurley on Mike Francesa Podcast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on Mike Francesa Podcast

Reaction Score
Great interview by both Francesa and Hurley. I stopped listening to Francesa about 2 years before he finally left the FAN. But this is the informed and engaged Francesa of the old days. That and a relaxed Danny made it worth listening.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I’ll take it a step deeper - after Tates shot in 1990 I was barely a teenager - they went back to the studio on cbs. Nantz was hosting - and he went to Francesa for the endgame analysis. Hilarious. Look it up on YouTube.

Reaction Score
I got sick of Mike and Russo and their egos, forgot about them for years. They never knew anything about college hoops or the NBA for that matter. Mike loves the ponies and Russo loved his baseball Giants. Other than that it was always 5 hours of Yankees or whatever NY team was hitting at the moment...

They were always the best though.

When Calhoun and UConn were clicking they would do their tournament show and they would have Calhoun on for a long time and it was always the best listen of the year, anyone who listened at the time knows this.

I no longer watch any of the ESPN shows or the other talk sports stuff but I was laughing my arse off stumbling through the channels one day and seeing Russo linked up with the other loudest voice in sports, Stephen A. I'm surprised Russo found a big TV home as an older guy but it all makes sense.

Russo isn't a kid anymore, they've been around my entire life and there's a reason for it. Annoying but they're the best in the business and they created the model. This interview is awesome and Francesa really did his homework.

Mike asks the right questions and gives Danny the air to let it all out. Field of 68 is fun but this is a whole different deal.

This interview is amazing. So many nuggets in there. Mike asks the right questions and let's Danny go...

Quinni...pia...ackk

Yes, Don Imus gave everybody a voice. Special time in radio/NY radio with Imus, Howard, Mike and Mad Dog. Pig Vomit is still my favorite.

Reaction Score
imus laughed at those two. Fatso and fruit loops .
Your personal vendetta against Francesca is playing out bizarrely in this thread. Everyone is universally praising the interview and you're in here typing like you're ready to call into Mike and the Mad Dog circa 1997 and chew him out. Get a new slant.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Your personal vendetta against Francesca is playing out bizarrely in this thread. Everyone is universally praising the interview and you're in here typing like you're ready to call into Mike and the Mad Dog circa 1997 and chew him out. Get a new slant.
It’s a good interview and francesa is a d bag who often doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Both can be true.

Reaction Score
If you had asked Francesca anytime during Mike and the mad dog’s time on air who would be the more successful of the two once jt ended, Mike would have bet the house it would be him. He was wrong. By a lot. I still find this funny.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was great. you can tell at the end it meant A LOT to Danny to be on with Mike…he called it bucket list stuff!

also interesting how Mike touched on the fact that Miami basically bought a team to go the FF. Surprised that hasn’t been mentioned more…Maybe Boeheim was right

Last edited:

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Yea, Mike's a great interviewer. Top of his game.

For me, DH made that interview. The man reeks authenticity. In a world of fake and gay, he's a throwback. I truly hope he's right and there are still enough players and families out there that pick up what he's putt'n down in the Portal/NIL Brave New World. I believe there are. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Francessa knows the sport and touched all the bases on this one. He can be good like this and an obnoxious egomaniacal jerk the next time but he usually defers and treats respectfully the famous and guess what? That's Danny now!

Reaction Score
Mike was a lot more prepped than I thought he would be, pretty good interview. He was interrupting Hurley towards the end but sometimes those phone interviews are tough. And now DH will be on Pardon My Take Friday, good publicity here recently for him and the program.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mad Dog Russo has a son on the team staff?

#casualfan

Reaction Score
I had significantly underestimated the degree to which Hurley is self-aware and open about his growth. As a fan, our view tends to be fairly static (i.e., he will always bicker unproductively with refs or work himself into a lather in a big moment) when it's obvious that he's working hard to grow.

Reaction Score
for the wfan fans, hurley was also on john jastremski's new podcast. this was also a great interview:

highlights include jj talking about his introduction to coach hurley back on staten island when hurley was with wagner college and hurley talking about all of the basketball/sports celebrities who have reached out to him over the past few weeks.

Reaction Score
Dan’s always been this guy- emotional (obviously) but also very self deprecating and aware, always learning. He expects a lot of others and even more of himself. There’s more of a platform now (with national media types who don’t dislike him) and people are paying closer attention.

Reaction Score
Francessa can do no wrong, even if mad dog was my guy. Those two are as much a part of my childhood as anything. Probably not two humans on earth apart from my family that I have listened speak more than them. That was a GREAT interview.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great interview. Grew up with Mike and I'm definitely a mongo through and through, so was great to hear him have Hurley on.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Different podcast, but it seems like Dan is set after all on eventually coaching in the league. That would probably mean at least one more title though, so I’m not complaining…

Reaction Score
Great interview. I’ll never forget when Mike and Chris went on the air immediately after our first championship in 99.
I remember listening to them the day after the game in 99. Mike was having such fun with the uconn fans. Every time the phones would stop ringing Mike would say “9 out of 10 times Duke beats Uconn” then the irate UConn fans light up the phones to argue with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom