Courtney Williams says that UConn is beatable. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney Williams says that UConn is beatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I respect this young lady's confidence and attempt to motivate her team as the leader she is....HOWEVER, I hope UCONN sends Miss Williams a message and destroys them by 50!!!!
I don't think we need to destroy them by 50, but holding Williams to 5 points or so might send the appropriate message :p

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are taking issue with this. Everybody is beatable. If UConn has a bad game and the other team plays out of its mind, they are beatable. That's how Baylor lost to Louisville in Griner's senior year. That's also how Tennessee lost to Duke in Holdsclaw's senior year. We have every reason to feel confident, but let us not fall into the trap of thinking it's a foregone conclusion.

And even if it UConn were unbeatable, the opponent can't believe it anyway. Anyone who believes they can't win has no business taking the floor.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If there were 5 Courtneys against our 5, I would say it might be possible,
but it's not gonna be possible and because its not ever possible it's never gonna happen...
Case closed.

Reaction Score
She's right UCONN is beatable by her team. The team she joins in the WNBA - that team - will be able to beat UCONN.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are taking issue with this. Everybody is beatable. If UConn has a bad game and the other team plays out of its mind, they are beatable. That's how Baylor lost to Louisville in Griner's senior year. That's also how Tennessee lost to Duke in Holdsclaw's senior year. We have every reason to feel confident, but let us not fall into the trap of thinking it's a foregone conclusion.

And even if it UConn were unbeatable, the opponent can't believe it anyway. Anyone who believes they can't win has no business taking the floor.

You're right. No problem with her thinking and it's fun to banter a bit too, isn't it? And I agree in the later rounds UCONN can get beat. Not in the earlier ones though. And at best USF is a S16 team. S16 team this year isn't getting it done vs UCONN. Especially in Ct.

Reaction Score
We have every reason to feel confident, but let us not fall into the trap of thinking it's a foregone conclusion.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with it. I think Geno loves to see opponents say that kind of stuff. It only makes UConn better. The bolded is exactly why you do keep your mouth shut and just play. You don't think UConn uses bulletin board material? 'Hey we just whipped them by 20 but I guess it wasn't enough so let's really put it to them.'

You would think nothing else has worked so let's just keep it to ourselves and maybe they will get overconfident and we can surprise them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
We have every reason to feel confident, but let us not fall into the trap of thinking it's a foregone conclusion.

tI think Geno loves to see opponents say that kind of stuff. It only makes UConn better. The bolded is exactly why you do keep your mouth shut and just play. You don't think UConn uses bulletin board material? 'Hey we just whipped them by 20 but I guess it wasn't enough so let's really put it to them.'

You would think nothing else has worked so let's just keep it to ourselves and maybe they will get overconfident and we can surprise them.

These players are being asked point-blank by reporters if they think they can beat UConn. What else are they supposed to say? "Oh no, I know we can't win so I'm just going to go out there and have fun." Again, if that was USF's attitude, they would have never held a lead at halftime in the previous game.

Reaction Score
These players are being asked point-blank by reporters if they think they can beat UConn. What else are they supposed to say? "Oh no, I know we can't win so I'm just going to go out there and have fun." Again, if that was USF's attitude, they would have never held a lead at halftime in the previous game.

Give respect to the other team and say you are going out there to win the game. Cliches are a player's best friend. You and reporters may not like them because they are boring and boring puts people to sleep.....hopefully your opponent too.

Reaction Score
Courtney Williams is a good player. But with only 1 or 2 good players is not enough to beat UConn...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Give respect to the other team and say you are going out there to win the game. Cliches are a player's best friend. You and reporters may not like them because they are boring and boring puts people to sleep.....hopefully your opponent too.

There's nothing disrespectful about saying that you think you can win. They wouldn't even be asking the question, "Do you think you can beat them?" if they weren't already a heavy underdog. They know it, everybody knows it. They're not asking the UConn players if they think they can beat USF. If Williams pulled a Makayla Epps and guaranteed a victory, that would be different.

Reaction Score
"I think our mindset is that, they're beatable," Bulls guard Courney Williams said, following her team's 64-46 semifinal win over Temple. "We beat them in the first half, we let up in the third, and they made shots. They're going to do that. We just have to answer. If we could have went bucket for bucket (with them in the second half), we could have won the game. So I think that showed us this team is beatable, and we have the potential to beat them."
http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/3/7/11171454/usf-uconn-aac-tournament-championship-preview
Courtney,,,NOT!!!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
This was Stewie's take in the postgame presser: "We saw her comments that she made last night. And you know, any confident player's gonna make those type of comments, but you know, on our end, we don't want to hear that. And you know, it just adds more fuel to the fire…"

Reaction Score
UCONN had Williams so frustrated she was bickering with her team mates in the 2nd 1/2.
In 32 games 662 shot attempts, next most 312, she had 86 assists, and 84 turnovers, a volume shooter who doesn't make her team better. Geno has said Stewie can get a shot any time she wants to, but she understands others need to shoot for the team to succeed. MJ became great when he became not only a shooter, but a passer.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
"I think our mindset is that, they're beatable," Bulls guard Courney Williams said, following her team's 64-46 semifinal win over Temple. "We beat them in the first half, we let up in the third, and they made shots. They're going to do that. We just have to answer. If we could have went bucket for bucket (with them in the second half), we could have won the game. So I think that showed us this team is beatable, and we have the potential to beat them."
http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/3/7/11171454/usf-uconn-aac-tournament-championship-preview

I'd have recommended that she speak to Makayla Epps before uttering that statement publicly. It didn't work out too well for Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Williams saying that..... you have to have some degree of confidence..... and she is indeed quite a player....

Didn't work out for her tonight though

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter a damn what we fans think about beatable/unbeatable, or whether we're super optimists like tonyc who believes that every game is going to be a 50 point, stone cold blowout. That's why we're called fans- Forever Abnormally Nutty Supporters. And damn proud of it. A fan's 'reality' is permitted to take hyperbolic flight now and again.

The only thing that matters is that the UConn kids, the ones playing the game, don't get over-confident, take nothing for granted, and understand that each opponent has a chance to win- if UConn plays its C-game and the other team plays out of their skulls.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
MJ became great when he became not only a shooter, but a passer.

MJ was always a great passer (best ever) then he became a good shooter, especially in that All-Star game when he made that long 3 with Isiah Thomas guarding him.

nba_g_magicasgmvp_200.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
old but interesting article about Courtney LINK

Geno speaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors