Courtney Banghart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney Banghart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking of opening eyes and doing research can we ask how/where the rest of us can verify this statement?
Let me be as clear as possible. Coach P will be at Duke for the next two years. If she under performs these next two years with the complement of guards and forwards she has only then shall Duke consider making changes.

Reaction Score
UConn got rewarded for playing a tougher schedule. If Princeton would have played a tougher schedule they would have gotten a better seed. Of course they might not have been unbeaten then.

Princeton didn't lose to Stanford either...

I'm not sure who you are referring to here.....UConn? They were not unbeaten. But that's my point. Playing Princeton would just be adding another softy.

If Princeton played Brooklyn and a beat up Rutgers at home they'd be in the Sweet Sixteen too.

Reaction Score
Let me be as clear as possible. Coach P will be at Duke for the next two years. If she under performs these next two years with the complement of guards and forwards she has only then shall Duke consider making changes.
She does need to bring a point guard in who doesn't turn the ball over though.

Williams will be gone so she has to get someone to replace her also.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
UConn got rewarded for playing a tougher schedule. If Princeton would have played a tougher schedule they would have gotten a better seed. Of course they might not have been unbeaten then.

I suspect the problem Princeton has in arranging a tougher OOC schedule is, who is willing to play them? Not from a competition standpoint, but from a "what's in it for me?" standpoint.

If you're a mid-level team from a P5 conference - say, North Carolina or Syracuse or Minnesota or Iowa State or LSU, what do you get from scheduling Princeton? They're not gonna be a "draw" opponent - they're not gonna put fannies in the seats, nor get you on TV. Beating them isn't gonna help your RPI, what with Princeton's Ivy League schedule. If you're one of these teams, Princeton is a "can't win" opponent - you get no credence or advantage for beating an Ivy League team, but you get buckets of embarrassment and snide remarks if they beat you.

When Geno & CD first started building the Husky program, they ran into this problem. With UConn a historically weak program, a lot of other schools saw no advantage to scheduling them. Some schools and coaches (Penn State, Rene Portland) were quite blunt and dismissive about it. Really, the best opportunity an up-and-coming program has for meeting decent OOC foes is a holiday tournament.

Reaction Score

I'm guessing that will be Angela Salvadores. I haven't seen her play, but if she is anything like international players Letica Romero and Kristy Wallace of Baylor I will be pleased cause those guards have a great sense of the game. I don't think not one player will replace Liz next year it will be more by a committee deal. Expect Duke to do a complete 180 next year. I see us going back to our traditional up tempo teams. It seems like every year us Duke fans get overexcited about the recruiting class, but this is the one I'm ready to see. Although everyone speaks about the All Americans Duke gets every year past Duke teams only played two guards and one shooter with a mixture of forwards who doesn't have a go to move. Next year recruiting class features two top 4 point guards, one 6'1 shooter, and two wings with one being a heavy Uconn target. To complement slasher forwards Oderah Chidom and Azura Stevens. I don't know how good we will be next year, but we will be an up tempo team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My question was not about Coach P. honestly I could care less. You think she is staying for 2 more years and Mike Flynn tweeted differently- don't care about Mike's tweet either.
You stated "And no matter who came to coach Duke, Sierra is not returning".
So my question again is about Sierra. How do you know Sierra is not returning to Duke?

PS
My eyes are wide open.

Reaction Score
Pinobear:

OTOH- Geno said himself before this tournament that teams should be glad to play UCOONN. OK, then...put Princeton on your schedule.

Reaction Score
So my question again is about Sierra. How do you know Sierra is not returning to Duke?

PS
My eyes are wide open.
Wow. I underestimated your thinking. I thought you were speaking about a coaching change influencing Sierra Calhoun decision. This is something I haven't thought about once, but is VERY INTERESTING.

Reaction Score
My question was not about Coach P. honestly I could care less. You think she is staying for 2 more years and Mike Flynn tweeted differently- don't care about Mike's tweet either.
You stated "And no matter who came to coach Duke, Sierra is not returning".

PS
My eyes are wide open.
Why would she come back?

Reaction Score
Why would she come back?
If I were serious about my daughter being the best and bettering her skills I wouldn't want her in a zone defense. I don't think Sierra comes back unless Duke defense were to change, which is very likely next year. This is pure speculation btw...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Two point guards coming in.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Pinobear:

OTOH- Geno said himself before this tournament that teams should be glad to play UCOONN. OK, then...put Princeton on your schedule.
you're assuming that Princeton asked, or should Geno reach out to them?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why would she come back?
I don't know what the rules are. If she did come back to Duke will she still be required to sit out a year? Technically she did not transfer, right? So by returning to Duke she would be immediately eligible so that is a "potential" reason to return. A few week ago we had a whole thread about a ND player transferring, only to return to the team. She has also not enrolled somewhere else to my knowledge which extended her sitting by at least 1 semester unless she returns to Duke or gets relief from NCAA like Romero did at FSU.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the rules are. If she did come back to Duke will she still be required to sit out a year? Technically she did not transfer, right? So by returning to Duke she would be immediately eligible so that is a "potential" reason to return. A few week ago we had a whole thread about a ND player transferring, only to return to the team. She has also not enrolled somewhere else to my knowledge which extended her sitting by at least 1 semester unless she returns to Duke or gets relief from NCAA like Romero did at FSU.
It's a mystery. Just have to wait and see.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't see why a UConn / Princeton matchup would be good for anyone.

For UConn, just another blow-out. For Princeton, a non-winnable game. Sorry, Princeton is not at a UConn level (who is?). And this is one of the times you can just toss RPI out, it is meaningless.

Their prime candidates are playing decent P5 teams. They might very well have been able to beat some of the teams seeded ahead of them, probably up to the 3 seed line, even, in the right circumstances. The top teams, not so much, and not much to be gained from trying. They need to show they can compete (win or lose) at a higher level, not just play and get blown out.
If you are saying that Princeton's "prime candidates" for future-year schedules are P5 teams who were 3 and 4 seeds in this year's tournament, then I agree that those are teams that Princeton should play, and it would be in Princeton's interest to schedule them. I suspect Ms. Banghart understands that completely, and has probably tried to do that.

The problem is that those teams are unlikely to sign up for a Princeton game, because (gasp) Princeton might actually beat them. Then they would have to deal with a "bad loss" to an Ivy League team. Those teams believe that they get all the SOS and RPI they need from their conference schedule, so what they need from their non-conference schedule is the maximum number of W's. Unfortunately, the raw number of wins (never mind against whom) still counts, particularly if you are playing good teams in your conference. It doesn't help as much if you are Princeton or for that matter UConn, since they face very few good opponents in their conference schedule.

That is why I think a UConn-Princeton game makes a certain amount of sense for both. It would be a better game that either team will get in its conference. It would also be a better opponent than they can easily find out of conference. It would be better for UConn if it could schedule Top 15 teams for its OOC schedule, but that appears to be increasingly difficult. (Of course, this year Princeton was a Top 15 team by the end of the season.)

For Princeton, it might be possible to stay within 20 points of UConn, as St. John and USF were able to do. That would be a major triumph for their program, and might actually help with the NCAA Selection Committee's "eye test". And presumably they would learn something about basketball, see some plays or defenses that they might use against other opponents, deal with a big and partisan crowd, and possibly get an ESPN audience (and some moolah) for their recruiting. Not a bad deal, overall.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hopefully she'll ask (if she hasn't). Geno could reach out to them though.
Why? It's not gonna help his team all that much, if any. Another mid major team to pummel. It could help Princeton, so if they want the help, they should reach out to UCONN. Have they? If not, then talk is cheap. Back it up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Problem for Uconn playing Princeton is that they would not want to do a home and home, though I think Geno would be happy to have them come to Storrs. Same issue Marist has with Uconn - Uconn have only so many slots for OOC road games and playing in the NE for those games doesn't add to their recruiting footprint. If they play an NE team home and home they want it to be a power team (old Big East rival type.) They are much more likely to attract a home/home series with a west coast or southern team that wants to do an 'east coast' swing playing two games on a trip with one against a power team and another to get them acclimated - not unlike what Uconn has done on the west coast trips.

Princeton did play two ACC teams, a Big10 team, and a BE team OOC which is a much better line-up than a lot of P5 teams put into their OOC. The committee is a bunch of horses' asses for not seeding them better - and saying they proved they didn't belong in the second weekend by losing to a top four ranked team is stupid - given a chance as a five or six seed I would have given them a pretty good chance against many of the 3 and 4 seeds.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't see the need for either program to schedule a series. Princeton is not ready for UCONN. Princeton did not even win the Ivy last year. They won Ivy 4-5 years prior to that, but those Ivy League titles translated to virtually no NCAA tournament success. I think Princeton’s next step is to translate Ivy League domination into NCAA tournament success and build a reputation as a dangerous Mid-major team like Marist used to be. Marist actually had some success in the NCAA (sweet sixteen??). If the two teams still feel the need to play then target the same early season tournament like UCONN playing Marist in paradise Jam in 2012.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that will be Angela Salvadores. I haven't seen her play, but if she is anything like international players Letica Romero and Kristy Wallace of Baylor I will be pleased cause those guards have a great sense of the game. I don't think not one player will replace Liz next year it will be more by a committee deal.

Not sure how heralded those two were... but A.S. was the FIBA Europe Young player of the year in 2014. She is a starter on a pro team in Spain. Im excited at the opportunity to see her in action next season. Im a huge fan of Cooper.... and if Belton returns from her ACL injury... i think we will be fine in the post.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Keep in mind a few things:

Courtney played at Dartmouth, so the Ivies are in her blood. She may have no interest is going to a WCBB powerhouse, though Duke would be an excellent fit.

Princeton is hampered by the Ivy schedule and academic requirements for admission, but I think they can position themselves uniquely. Princeton has an incredible draw for obvious reasons. Courtney may be able to get some of the kids who are considering Duke or Stanford. I think she could create a mid-major team that is head and shoulders better than the other Ivies and consistently ranked in the top 25.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I heard there is an opening at Georgia....

I think it would be a mistake to take the Georgia job. No matter how good Georgia is in MBB or WBB, their attendance is mediocre and their facilities are, too. Georgia fans only care about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom