Courtney Banghart | The Boneyard

Courtney Banghart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After witnessing what happened to her team in the NCAA tournament I'm not so sure she should stay with the program unless she's dead set on coaching this Ivy league team. I think her team will get the same treatment next season and will always be at a disadvantage with seeding and not get to host first round games no matter how well they do. This will happen time and again. I doubt if teams that would make their schedule stronger will want to play them anytime soon (how about it UCONN- Duke- ND?).

If she's truly interested in becoming an Elite Division I coach maybe she should move up to a better conference. The constrictions on Ivy League teams considering the academic requirements make the pool of players she can getto play on her team very small in the first place.

Reaction Score
I doubt if teams that would make their schedule stronger will want to play them anytime soon (how about it UCONN- Duke- ND?).

I don't think UConn is avoiding Princeton lol. I'm guessing it's more like why would UConn want to add another blow out to it's schedule.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If there was ever a good time for Banghart to jump ship to a stronger program, now is the time since the iron is hot. She should be able to land a great gig with a significant pay increase if she decides to leave Princeton.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is avoiding Princeton lol. I'm guessing it's more like why would UConn want to add another blow out to it's schedule.
Back it up. Talk is cheap.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She's young and time will tell if she is happy where she is or ambitious for bigger things. The only comments I've heard about her being a "rising" star destined for bigger things have come from the media. I haven't seen any indication from her or anyone around her that she is eager to climb the ladder of Div. 1 . Some people are content coaching right where they are. Jen and Carla are two good examples.

Reaction Score
Back it up. Talk is cheap.

Princeton had a nice season but they did not make the sweet sixteen. It's interesting and nice that two mid majors made the sweet sixteen but more telling to me is that five ACC teams made it. UConn is not going to help itself by playing against the Ivy League.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Years ago Cathy Inglese coached Vermont to two undefeated seasons. However, when the tournament came around it was obvious that they were nowhere near as good as their record would indicate.

The same is true for Princeton. They played a really lame schedule, never facing a top 25 team until their loss to MD.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Years ago Cathy Inglese coached Vermont to two undefeated seasons. However, when the tournament came around it was obvious that they were nowhere near as good as their record would indicate.

The same is true for Princeton. They played a really lame schedule, never facing a top 25 team until their loss to MD. .

Personally, I would have liked to watch them play any of the teams seeded 3 thru 7. Losing to a #1 seeded team is nothing to be ashamed of. The announcers mentioned that several ranked teams refuse to schedule Princeton, which relegates Princeton to a 8/9 seed, arguably the worst seeding for trying to get to sweet sixteen.

Basically, we can only speculate how good Princeton really was, given that Maryland beat all but two of their opponents this year.

Reaction Score
Princeton had a nice season but they did not make the sweet sixteen. It's interesting and nice that two mid majors made the sweet sixteen but more telling to me is that five ACC teams made it. UConn is not going to help itself by playing against the Ivy League.
If Princeton played Brooklyn and a beat up Rutgers at home they'd be in the Sweet Sixteen too.

Yeah...keep playing those softies to make your unbeaten record look good. Banghart's not concerned about being unbeaten. She just wants to get her team tournament ready and get into the best position to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I would have liked to watch them play any of the teams seeded 3 thru 7. Losing to a #1 seeded team is nothing to be ashamed of. The announcers mentioned that several ranked teams refuse to schedule Princeton, which relegates Princeton to a 8/9 seed, arguably the worst seeding for trying to get to sweet sixteen.

Basically, we can only speculate how good Princeton really was, given that Maryland beat all but two of their opponents this year.
I don't think they experienced a road crowd all season like MD had last night. Princeton's gym is kind of like a small college orgym compared to Maryland's. There's loads of high school teams that have more attendance than are at princeton's games all year.
Kudos go out to the MD crowd. They showed up and supported their team. I was sitting right in the middle of them the first half cheering for Princeton and everyone around me hated me. LOL!

Reaction Score
The media assumes that every coach wants to lead a big name program, and maybe she does too, but I'm not sure that you can tempt someone to Georgia from Princeton unless they are really intent on climbing the coaching ladder right now. If she puts up a couple more 28 win seasons she'll have several good offers. That's not a slight at Georgia, I'm only suggesting that she will have options in the next few years and that Princeton, poor attendance or not, is still an attractive place to be.

Reaction Score
The media assumes that every coach wants to lead a big name program, and maybe she does too, but I'm not sure that you can tempt someone to Georgia from Princeton unless they are really intent on climbing the coaching ladder right now. If she puts up a couple more 28 win seasons she'll have several good offers. That's not a slight at Georgia, I'm only suggesting that she will have options in the next few years and that Princeton, poor attendance or not, is still an attractive place to be.
I don't know about that.

Noone (hardly anyway) comes to the games, never on tv and barely mentioned on ESPN even if undefeated.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope that the Duke rumors work out for her. That would be great for Duke, and especially for the Duke players. And it should be great for her since she could continue to coach academically serious players, but do so on a much larger stage.

As Duke coach, she might even consider continuing the annual game against UConn, which means that course of events would be good for UConn as well.

I wonder if Sierra Calhoun could or would return to Duke if they had a new coach.

Reaction Score
I hope that the Duke rumors work out for her. That would be great for Duke, and especially for the Duke players. And it should be great for her since she could continue to coach academically serious players, but do so on a much larger stage.

As Duke coach, she might even consider continuing the annual game against UConn, which means that course of events would be good for UConn as well.

I wonder if Sierra Calhoun could or would return to Duke if they had a new coach.
From what I saw so far in the tournament (Duke's) coach isn't going anywhere.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Princeton played Brooklyn and a beat up Rutgers at home they'd be in the Sweet Sixteen too.

Yeah...keep playing those softies to make your unbeaten record look good. Banghart's not concerned about being unbeaten. She just wants to get her team tournament ready and get into the best position to win.
The experience of having pretty good teams refuse to play you is hardly unique to Princeton. UConn has been suffering from that recently also (e.g., Duke, Rutgers, Louisville, Maryland, Baylor).

I think a UConn-Princeton annual game would be a good idea, at least as long as Banghart is at Princeton. I think Geno would be receptive to it unless he can convince other, better teams such as those mentioned above to play UConn during the season. Based on past precedent, I think he would immediately agree to a home game against Princeton in Storrs or Hartford. If Princeton insisted on a home-and-home series (as, for example, Marist has done), that might be an issue for economic reasons, since obviously the gate receipts in Princeton are not going to be comparable to what UConn could obtain by scheduling a bad team in Storrs or Hartford.

Reaction Score
From what I saw so far in the tournament (Duke's) coach isn't going anywhere.
That and her having at least a few years to go on her contract. The cost to be released from her contract would be very high for Duke.

Reaction Score
The experience of having pretty good teams refuse to play you is hardly unique to Princeton. UConn has been suffering from that recently also (e.g., Duke, Rutgers, Louisville, Baylor).

I think a UConn-Princeton annual game would be a good idea, at least as long as Banghart is at Princeton. I think Geno would be receptive to it unless he can convince other, better teams such as those mentioned above to play UConn during the season. Based on past precedent, I think he would immediately agree to a home game against Princeton in Storrs or Hartford. If Princeton insisted on a home-and-home series (as, for example, Marist has done), that might be an issue for economic reasons, since obviously the gate receipts in Princeton are not going to be comparable to what UConn could obtain by scheduling a bad team in Storrs or Hartford.
Princeton played more road games than any other team in the tourney this year. At least that's what I thought I heard this weekend. I think Creme wrote somethng similar last week. I think they'd be OK with playing UCONN at home. Tell Geno to set it up.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't see why a UConn / Princeton matchup would be good for anyone.

For UConn, just another blow-out. For Princeton, a non-winnable game. Sorry, Princeton is not at a UConn level (who is?). And this is one of the times you can just toss RPI out, it is meaningless.

Their prime candidates are playing decent P5 teams. They might very well have been able to beat some of the teams seeded ahead of them, probably up to the 3 seed line, even, in the right circumstances. The top teams, not so much, and not much to be gained from trying. They need to show they can compete (win or lose) at a higher level, not just play and get blown out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I heard there is an opening at Georgia....

Georgia, Florida, Utah & Kansas all have head coach openings. If Courtney is looking for a significant larger pay check any of these might work. The men’s coaches at these schools are obscenely overpaid IMO so for political correctness Courtney’s contract at these schools would be pretty hefty. These schools are also in big 5 conferences and have significant Nike and Addidas deals in place which cover entire athletic departments.

Reaction Score

We're essentially starting 4 underclassman with 3 coming off the bench, yet we're in the Sweet 16? Thanks but no thanks. And no matter who came to coach Duke, Sierra is not returning. She didn't leave because of Joanne P, and there's no indication that Coach P was the reason she left. If you did research, idk if you did or didn't, it seemed like her parents is the one who plugged the plug. Coach P stated that Sierra wanted to return. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.d...846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209872188&DB_OEM_ID=4200. The Duke dislike is obvious,50/50, on this board and that's why I LOVE both Duke programs because if you do not like Duke you hate them. There's plenty of programs that would want her like Georgia or Ku, yet you force Duke name in this discussion based on a tweet by Mike Flynn, a known Coach P hater? Open your eyes people.:cool: Back to Courtney Banghart I would like to see her at Rutgers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And no matter who came to coach Duke, Sierra is not returning.
Speaking of opening eyes and doing research can we ask how/where the rest of us can verify this statement?

Reaction Score

UConn got rewarded for playing a tougher schedule. If Princeton would have played a tougher schedule they would have gotten a better seed. Of course they might not have been unbeaten then.

Yeah...keep playing those softies to make your unbeaten record look good.

I'm not sure who you are referring to here.....UConn? They were not unbeaten. But that's my point. Playing Princeton would just be adding another softy.

Reaction Score
I don't see why a UConn / Princeton matchup would be good for anyone.

For UConn, just another blow-out. For Princeton, a non-winnable game. Sorry, Princeton is not at a UConn level (who is?). And this is one of the times you can just toss RPI out, it is meaningless.

Their prime candidates are playing decent P5 teams. They might very well have been able to beat some of the teams seeded ahead of them, probably up to the 3 seed line, even, in the right circumstances. The top teams, not so much, and not much to be gained from trying. They need to show they can compete (win or lose) at a higher level, not just play and get blown out.

No chance Banghart stays in state to Rutgers huh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom