Could P and crew change your thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could P and crew change your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like I said. Will make up my mind in December unless convinced otherwise. 1 game isn't going to do it. We will either end up with a winning or losing conference record. That will be the difference. If we can't get to 4-3 with this level of talent on D I'm ok with making a move.

Reaction Score
17 something games have forged my perception of him. 1 game will not change that.
I don't blame PP for last year. He was left with a bare cupboard. You have to give him that. This year is discouraging, because he and GDL have not figured out how to maximize what they have. You can complain all day long about the OL, or whatever, but there has to be something you can do with guys like Whitmer and Michael Smith, Davis, #31, Tebucky, etc, etc, etc. There has to be some way to utilize the talent you do have, and that's what I'm not seeing. I would to see that happen, but not optimistic . . . We have not seen creativity in the use of offense this year.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree with noeynox, it's not age. You can be old and be a great coach. You do need to be healthy, but I haven't heard that P or GDL are in impaired health.

I think all the coaches are great men, that P is a great coach, but GDL is not. I think GDL is just not a good strategist, he's a pure tactician, and his impulse is to cover up for a weak strategy by adding tactical nuance; he is "smart" in the sense that he knows a lot, but he does not have a balanced cognition. I think that P let his personal comfort and familiarity with DeLeone trump other OC hiring criteria. I hope it all works out, but I think high-level college football is too competitive to overcome a weakness like this, especially given the conference alignment issues that hurt recruiting.

Reaction Score
I don't blame PP for last year. He was left with a bare cupboard. You have to give him that. This year is discouraging, because he and GDL have not figured out how to maximize what they have. You can complain all day long about the OL, or whatever, but there has to be something you can do with guys like Whitmer and Michael Smith, Davis, #31, Tebucky, etc, etc, etc. There has to be some way to utilize the talent you do have, and that's what I'm not seeing. I would to see that happen, but not optimistic . . . We have not seen creativity in the use of offense this year.

If we were doing well, it would not count. But to me it just confirms that he was part of the problem last season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
P never was going to be a long term solution. He was a convenient pick and a hold the fort kind of guy.

Problem is he's losing the fort. We need the calvary to come in for a rescue.

Reaction Score
There's a reason teams like Florida, Clemson and Tennessee change OC's within a mere year or two of an offensive downturn. It's due to the sturm and drung of big money boosters and a screaming fan base influencing the AD and President (who are unwilling to marginalize the biggest asset on campus) into action. While our fan base has, by comparison, very little of the torchlight carrying passion of the SEC, and college football is seldom front page news in local media, our AD and especially our President understand the value of Husky Football to the University and will not hesitate to protect it. This is not complicated. Buyout clauses mean little. The money can be raised. If this team does not get to a bowl game this year, if attendance continues to wane, if our chances of becoming a significant player in the football firmament keep slipping away--there will be a new coaching staff in 2013.

Reaction Score
I've already come to the conclusion, barring an absolute miracle, that DeLeone needs to go after this year. Regarding P, I won't make any definitive judgement until the year is over. I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I really don't think firing the HC after 2 years is fair. On the other hand, if we finish with the same or worse record than we did last year (or even if we finish 6-6) I don't know that I can support bringing P back. If we finish at 5-7 again, with a more talented team again a disgrace of a schedule, I don't see any scenario that leads me to believe that he should be given more time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Back in the days after Corny graduated, it quickly became clear that the BB program was going nowhere. But Dom's team would beat a decent team or two and he'd keep his job for another wasted year. Once a program loses momentum. it rarely gets it back without a change at the top. This program is dead in the water.
Have to hope that WM is on top of things as far as having his ear to the ground - what is the mindset of the players, how do they respond to the coaching staff? When coach P was hired I was hopeful that this department would improve compared to FHCRE's paternalistic style. If we start winning back to back games and go bowling maybe that will take care of the locker room mentality, if not...

I think win or lose vs. rutgers it's hard to judge how it changes the direction of the program. I really really want us to win whether it's pretty or ugly just cause it's Rutgers. But in terms of program direction, I have a vague criteria where I just want consistency in all 3 phases, I want our kids to be competing every play, and I want the coaches to unveil more of the playbook - not all new plays but a few different looks on offense and defense. This is a league game. it means more than a game vs. a MAC team or an ACC team. It's OK to save some stuff for later in the season but I want to see something new.

Reaction Score
We've shown new packages or wrinkles if you will to the offense every game. I have no doubt Deleone has a deep complex playbook, but don't forget we have a new qb as well. Part of it could be saving and part of it could be CW's learning curve.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
good catch on the usf win. i thought of a couple ranked games then i used espn schedule going back to find them all. i thought we had a win somewhere but couldn't find one. espn doesn't show usf as ranked when we played them that game. thats my bad, wasn't trying to f with the record at all. my point was we struggle vs above average teams so far in our short history. going to rutgers and getting a win would be our first road ranked win. i think it would be a pretty big deal. it would also be 2 wins in a row. it also leads to 2 very winable games in cuse and temple. i think what i was getting at is ppl have all the right to be mad ad delone and p right now about our O and whats going on. but for every inch i want to bitch about our playcalling, i'm seeing good developments in whitmer, davis etc. i'm seeing good things on the trail and how warde is doing more to interact with our fanbase etc. i'm just saying i think we as a group may be a bit to negative right now and jumping ship to quickly. if we end this year without a bowl then yes, pitchforks and mouth foaming. but for now, P has a huge opportunity to change things and quickly. it all starts this weekend.

if we can pull this weekend off, i think we may get a little mdeia stir going and take off with that. as the players develope and the fanbase goes, we could be looking at something. but it needs to happen this weekend if there is hope. the pressure is on this weekend, its P's chance to answer.

Reaction Score
overnight with a win this weekend? well maybe not your grand thoughts on what were doing on offense play wise but on where this program is going in the future? i think i would be thrilled with a win this weekend. no matter what we think of rutgers, of P and crew or of the past under RE, this is our ranked games record:

2002 @ #1 miami 48-14 L
2008 vs #23 pitt 34-10 L
2009 vs #19 unc 12-10 L
2009 @ #23 wvu 28-24 L
2009 @ #5 cincy 47-45 L
2010 vs(bcs bowl) #7 ok 48-20 L
2011 @ #16 wvu 43-16 L
-did i miss any?

rutgers the past few years has been thumping chest about a whole lot of nothing, we all know about that trophy case they have. but once again the buzz is in the air, just like last year. we are going to cross the GWB with targets on our backs. can we come thru in the heat? it would be our first time ever doing so...rutgers is hosting more recuits then bc had fans in attendance last week. it would be a huge statement for this program to pull out a W. rutgers is all in on this weekend, the student section will have the most kid ever in it, sell out crowd, black out in the afternoon, cool unis and the list goes on and on. this is our chance to turn the corner.

most likely cincy and lville will be ranked most of the year so we may have a shot at a few ranked teams this year. P could really improve his and our standing with a statement this weekend. so i ask u, if we win this weekend, what are your thoughts on where the program is going under P?

Edsall has a poor record against the top 25, no doubt about it.

But how many games will it take for us to win 2 in a row under P? He can do that this weekend, along with beating a team that simply doesn't deserve it's ranking.

Win this weekend and we'll all be happy. Lose the following and we'll be right back where we were after the loss to WMU.

Reaction Score
if we can beat rutgers, temple and syracuse three very winable games we can have ourselves a nice little streak but i doubt that would impress many of the naysayers on this board

The fact you called them "very winable" games is why many wouldn't be impressed. Even a win at Rutgers wouldn't impress me because they don't impress me.

Win 3 of the next 4, Beat Cincy and/or Ville and I'll be impressed.

Reaction Score
GDL is the correct focus in large measure, but it all starts and ends at HCPP. Fish stinks from the head, especially old, stubborn fish.

If UConn wins, I'll be ecstatic for the team, but I suspect it will be the players overcoming the 12th man on the other side... Our own staff.

Reaction Score
GDL is the correct focus in large measure, but it all starts and ends at HCPP. Fish stinks from the head, especially old, stubborn fish.

If UConn wins, I'll be ecstatic for the team, but I suspect it will be the players overcoming the 12th man on the other side... Our own staff.

There was nothing about this path that wasn't PREDICTABLE. ahem ... Jeff Hathaway.

From the bunker that Pasqualoni emerges from, I doubt he sees the danger from this Young Program. You cannot feed us sandwiches & coachspeak your way to another few years. I understand what he is going well; but, we are more fragile than a SU. Manual knows this too.

Reaction Score
To be clear the south florida win was a sinking ship and never counted becase they did not finish in the top 25, after 3 straight losses. they finished 9 and 4 with a bowl loss to oregon by 30+

Thu, Oct 18 Rutgers * 2/3 - New Brunswick, N.J. 27 - 30 (L) ESPN
Sat, Oct 27 Connecticut * 11/12 - Hartford, Conn. 15 - 22 (L) ABC
Sat, Nov 03 Cincinnati * 20/21 - Tampa, Fla. 33 - 38 (L) ABC

Reaction Score
if we can beat rutgers, temple and syracuse three very winable games we can have ourselves a nice little streak but i doubt that would impress many of the naysayers on this board

And if we lose these, will it make the kool aid boys ponder some of the points they currently dismiss out of hand?

Reaction Score
We've shown new packages or wrinkles if you will to the offense every game. I have no doubt Deleone has a deep complex playbook, but don't forget we have a new qb as well. Part of it could be saving and part of it could be CW's learning curve.

Deep and complex does not mean good. We haven't even been good at what we do regularly as of yet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't reach my position on Pasqualoni off one game, so I don't know why I would change it off one game. This team will win 5 or 6 games this year, just like last year. This is a bowl caliber team that has already lost to two inferior opponents and now may not make a bowl. Who else should be blamed for that?

Reaction Score
I've already come to the conclusion, barring an absolute miracle, that DeLeone needs to go after this year. Regarding P, I won't make any definitive judgement until the year is over. I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I really don't think firing the HC after 2 years is fair. On the other hand, if we finish with the same or worse record than we did last year (or even if we finish 6-6) I don't know that I can support bringing P back. If we finish at 5-7 again, with a more talented team again a disgrace of a schedule, I don't see any scenario that leads me to believe that he should be given more time.

Everyone knows damn well he's not the long term answer for this program. Scrap it.

Promote Don Brown. Go get a young, top FCS OC to run the offense.

Reaction Score
To be clear the south florida win was a sinking ship and never counted becase they did not finish in the top 25, after 3 straight losses. they finished 9 and 4 with a bowl loss to oregon by 30+

You lost me (not too hard @ times)..."never counted: - sarcasm meter is failing me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That USF team was very good. The Rutgers loss had two horrendous calls, if I remember correctly, including an offensive pass interference on USF on a 4th and 18 first down late in the 4th that would have put USF in field goal range. The loss to UConn was in a monsoon, and Cincinnati played a perfect game to beat them. The Big East was pretty good that year.

The Oregon loss that year was strange, because it was very close at halftime.

Reaction Score
That USF team was very good. The Rutgers loss had two horrendous calls, if I remember correctly, including an offensive pass interference on USF on a 4th and 18 first down late in the 4th that would have put USF in field goal range. The loss to UConn was in a monsoon, and Cincinnati played a perfect game to beat them. The Big East was pretty good that year.

The Oregon loss that year was strange, because it was very close at halftime.

Add to that that only those who want to be negative for the sake of being negative focus on a team's losses and don't even mention their wins. That USF team got to #2 by going on the road and beating a top level SEC team (think Auburn but maybe LSU?) and then beating a top ten WVU team.

They deserved to be #2 early in the year when they got there. They were not, however, the second best team in the country.

Reaction Score
The next two game willing streak is coach ps first and may it happen Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member