Could P and crew change your thoughts | The Boneyard

Could P and crew change your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
overnight with a win this weekend? well maybe not your grand thoughts on what were doing on offense play wise but on where this program is going in the future? i think i would be thrilled with a win this weekend. no matter what we think of rutgers, of P and crew or of the past under RE, this is our ranked games record:

2002 @ #1 miami 48-14 L
2008 vs #23 pitt 34-10 L
2009 vs #19 unc 12-10 L
2009 @ #23 wvu 28-24 L
2009 @ #5 cincy 47-45 L
2010 vs(bcs bowl) #7 ok 48-20 L
2011 @ #16 wvu 43-16 L
-did i miss any?

rutgers the past few years has been thumping chest about a whole lot of nothing, we all know about that trophy case they have. but once again the buzz is in the air, just like last year. we are going to cross the GWB with targets on our backs. can we come thru in the heat? it would be our first time ever doing so...rutgers is hosting more recuits then bc had fans in attendance last week. it would be a huge statement for this program to pull out a W. rutgers is all in on this weekend, the student section will have the most kid ever in it, sell out crowd, black out in the afternoon, cool unis and the list goes on and on. this is our chance to turn the corner.

most likely cincy and lville will be ranked most of the year so we may have a shot at a few ranked teams this year. P could really improve his and our standing with a statement this weekend. so i ask u, if we win this weekend, what are your thoughts on where the program is going under P?

Reaction Score
Sure, even though we've had a pretty good sampling of what they believe in. It's just doubtful they will change their style and philosophy and pretty much said so this week. Now it's up to them to prove they can make this system work with the personnel they have, and those they have waiting patiently for a shot. In that case they will prove wrong those who think the offense is in low gear and needs to show some tempo and imagination.
But I think in that group is a contingent that will say they've already been proven wrong on the wildcat and have yet to show that their playcalling and use of personnel can beat a team with even a decent defense. They'll get that chance this week. But I think this week the odds are pretty tough Dan. And I've never been one to pick Rutty against us.

(sent from my new rig and still building)

Reaction Score
I think you missed a few losses but you clearly missed the 22-15 WIN against #11 USF in 2007.

We'll need more than a win this weekend to change fan/detractors perceptions. The hatred runs pretty deep for some folks as they have been against HCPP's hire from the beginning and he has given thenm ample ammunition for thier gatling guns (and repeated posts). It will help but we need better optics - Hell - we can go 9-3 and people will still complain because we have some master-baiters on the site that like to just provoke.

Reaction Score
I don't form opinions about coaches on one game. He could change my opinion based on the remainder of the season. Frankly, my opinion of him last year was less negative at the end of the year than it was at the end of the OOC schedule because changes he made during the Big East schedule.

Reaction Score
Most fans will change their opinions week to week based on whether the team wins or loses. For most it doesn't go any deeper than that.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Most fans will change their opinions week to week based on whether the team wins or loses. For most it doesn't go any deeper than that.

So because we won this week people became more positive? Doesn't seem like it.

I'm still hopeful for Big East play but I don't think we'll win this week. Temple, Syracuse and Pitt should be W's and South Florida will be the toss up. If we go 4-3 in conference regardless of style points, I'll be encouraged and I would certainly be fine with giving HCPP another year. While knowing it is unrealistic though, I wouldn't mind if we went another direction on the OC role. Develop someone from the inside who could be the next potential head coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd be more than happy to be wrong about where things are headed. One week isn't going to change my mind - but I'll make the world a deal - if they beat Rutgers I won't say a negative thing about anyone on the staff until they lose another game.

Reaction Score
if we can beat rutgers, temple and syracuse three very winable games we can have ourselves a nice little streak but i doubt that would impress many of the naysayers on this board

Reaction Score
if we can beat rutgers, temple and syracuse three very winable games we can have ourselves a nice little streak but i doubt that would impress many of the naysayers on this board

Well, if you don't do it with style what's the point?

Reaction Score
17 something games have forged my perception of him. 1 game will not change that.

Reaction Score

Trust me, I'd be happily and extremely impressed if GDL weaved some unpredictability and creativity into the game plan - and doesn't kill offensive momentum when we do get it.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, my very strong sense of the matter is that GDL will be gone at the end of this season.....and if not, P will be gone at the end of the next.

pj

Reaction Score
If they can build an offense that can match the 28 ppg Johnny McEntee was scoring last year in the Big East, and go 4-3 in Big East play, then they'll win me back from expecting failure to expecting mediocrity.

Nothing will change my opinion that coaches should not design their strategic approach around an expectation of failure or mediocrity from their players, and it's clear GDL is expecting inferiority from his offense, that's why he is trying to minimize turnover risk and relying on the defense to win games for him. A defense that looks mediocre itself since Joseph went down. Every time GDL explains himself, my opinion of his strategic approach drops.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Normally one game could not be enough to convince me one way or another (the one exception was that I was convinced RE could never accomplish anything at UConn until they led BC in the fourth quarter a decade ago) but if we look like we did last season against Rutgers, it will be one hell of a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
overnight with a win this weekend? well maybe not your grand thoughts on what were doing on offense play wise but on where this program is going in the future? i think i would be thrilled with a win this weekend. no matter what we think of rutgers, of P and crew or of the past under RE, this is our ranked games record:

2002 @ #1 miami 48-14 L
2008 vs #23 pitt 34-10 L
2009 vs #19 unc 12-10 L
2009 @ #23 wvu 28-24 L
2009 @ #5 cincy 47-45 L
2010 vs(bcs bowl) #7 ok 48-20 L
2011 @ #16 wvu 43-16 L
-did i miss any?

rutgers the past few years has been thumping chest about a whole lot of nothing, we all know about that trophy case they have. but once again the buzz is in the air, just like last year. we are going to cross the GWB with targets on our backs. can we come thru in the heat? it would be our first time ever doing so...rutgers is hosting more recuits then bc had fans in attendance last week. it would be a huge statement for this program to pull out a W. rutgers is all in on this weekend, the student section will have the most kid ever in it, sell out crowd, black out in the afternoon, cool unis and the list goes on and on. this is our chance to turn the corner.

most likely cincy and lville will be ranked most of the year so we may have a shot at a few ranked teams this year. P could really improve his and our standing with a statement this weekend. so i ask u, if we win this weekend, what are your thoughts on where the program is going under P?

Dan,

Dont forget our victory at "The Rent" over the national powerhouse, #11 Ranked USF in October of 2007!!

Reaction Score
I think you missed a few losses but you clearly missed the 22-15 WIN against #11 USF in 2007.

We'll need more than a win this weekend to change fan/detractors perceptions. The hatred runs pretty deep for some folks as they have been against HCPP's hire from the beginning and he has given thenm ample ammunition for thier gatling guns (and repeated posts). It will help but we need better optics - Hell - we can go 9-3 and people will still complain because we have some master-baiters on the site that like to just provoke.

Sorry, I missed this post before responding to Dans

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Back in the days after Corny graduated, it quickly became clear that the BB program was going nowhere. But Dom's team would beat a decent team or two and he'd keep his job for another wasted year. Once a program loses momentum. it rarely gets it back without a change at the top. This program is dead in the water.

Reaction Score
This program has never beaten a ranked program on the road. This program has exactly one win over a ranked opponent in its history. A win this weekend would be a pretty big deal.

Reaction Score

I completely agree with this post. For me it has never been about winning and losing as long as we consistently compete and execute. Don't get me wrong, I am can get irate over loses, especially the ones we should of won but if we can go out and execute a sound offensive and defensive strategy but lose at the end of the day because our opponent was just flat out better than us, I'm ok with that (kind of, just trying to be realistic). In the beginning of the season we determined that we would succeed or fail on the performance of the defense. This remains true and I expect a big game from them. Getting back to Dan's question, what would change my perception is if we come out with a sick game plan and completely open up the offense! This will be the ONE chance for DeLeone to demonstrate that what he has been doing all season is establishng a complex calls-heet for the conference games. If we come out and let it fly, but just get outplayed, again that's ok, but there is NO EXCUSE for anything other than a dynamic offensive attack now that were in conference play on the road against a RANKED TEAM. Good luck Coach D, I hope you are the wizard that Coach P claims you are because this game is the biggest test of your tenure here and probably the last if you come out with the same old B.S.! Lets go boys, time to make a statement!!!!!!

Reaction Score
This program has never beaten a ranked program on the road. This program has exactly one win over a ranked opponent in its history. A win this weekend would be a pretty big deal.

Go ahead, you can go "Biden" on us. It would be "a big deal!"

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
P never was going to be a long term solution. He was a convenient pick and a hold the fort kind of guy. Warde Manuel should be looking for a younger, more dynamic long term solution.

Reaction Score
overnight with a win this weekend? well maybe not your grand thoughts on what were doing on offense play wise but on where this program is going in the future?

Is this your first day on the boneyard? I'm sure if we win everyone will say we beat an overrated team that only beat teams that haven't won any other games and that P, Deleone and everyone else still sucks, they just don't suck as bad as Rutgers and the fact that they were ranked to begin with only proves that ESPN is trying to get Rutgers to the B1G/ACC so that our program will fall apart. Did I miss anything?

Reaction Score
P never was going to be a long term solution. He was a convenient pick and a hold the fort kind of guy. Warde Manuel should be looking for a younger, more dynamic long term solution.

Younger, dynamic, hogwash. Bill Snyder can coach football. I still believe P can coach football, though I have to question his judgement in bringing the old ball and chain (Deleone) with him. In his first recruiting class he went out and recruited the most talented QB in our FBS history not named Dan Orlovsky. Sometimes I feel the board is hoping that he fails (and thus the program) because they want a younger, more dynamic coach. We've recently heard on the board about how "the coaches are so old" and all of their Syracuse stories, are turning off the players. Well, most of these guys weren't recruited by P, so I'm sure his approach was bound to turn some of them off, and you'll hear less of these stories as the roster fills up with his recruits. He STILL HAS TO WIN WITH THESE GUYS, because this team is not devoid of talent.

Win this week, and you'll see renewed enthusiasm about where this program is headed. This team can win this league and the players know it. They just have to find a way this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba22

Top Bottom