Confessions of a Rogue LV Fan | The Boneyard

Confessions of a Rogue LV Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
So yes, I am a LV fan. So much that I was a paying member of the Summitt until just recently. But, that board is not worth the cost for a number of reasons I care not to share. I realize that I can never reveal my true identity after today because I do live in Tennessee where speaking negatively of the LV's is a crime punishable by hanging without a trial by jury. But I do have some confessions to make:

1. On UCONN: As much as it sucks for us LV fans, I believe UCONN is putting a very special team on the floor this year. Ask Baylor and BG, anything can happen, but I would be absolutely shocked to see anyone but UCONN cutting down the nets in our back yard. I just hope that if I keep putting this in writing and keep telling myself this now, it will hurt less in April, right? Oh and BTW, I am pretty sure that I am the only person in the state of Tennessee that isn't convinced UCONN is going to waste away and die in the AAC. Even if the AAC is a terrible conference.

2. On Tennessee: Where to start? Quite frankly I think that the best thing for us would have been a breath of fresh air so to speak after Pat's retirement. Yes, I realize that Holly led the team to the E8 and a regular season championship. I'm not calling for her to be fired by any means. Holly was an outstanding and loyal assistant coach and yes she should have been rewarded for being such. However, it would be nice to see a coach whose vocabulary includes more than two words: Defense and Rebounding. A leader with a different perspective could have done us wonders.

3. On Recruiting: M. Russell is a good pickup for us, but as a #1 recruit, she is not the game changer that #1's like Moore, EDD, Parker, and Stewie are. She and Graves are a strong front court, but the only way they will ever get the ball is by rebounding Simmons and Massengale's bricks. It doesn't appear that our back court players are every going to learn how to get them the ball. I hope I am wrong, but I think it's the same song, different verse when it comes to our back court this year.

Reaction Score
Wow. That's pretty and brutally honest. I admire your willingness to say that. I hope for your sake that your team exceeds your expectations. (Of course I will still root against them to lose badly. )

Thanks for your insight!

HGN

Reaction Score
oh boy, guess its time for you to pack your bags and move to Connecticut..
I agree DaddyChoc....Random sounds like he came to our church and went to Confessions. True Confessions I give him that. But he bleeds Orange , therefore I am going to have to watch him for awhile.:rolleyes:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
3. On Recruiting: M. Russell is a good pickup for us, but as a #1 recruit, she is not the game changer that #1's like Moore, EDD, Parker, and Stewie are.

That's rarified air up there, and one can end up being one of the best of all time, with the statement still being true. We'll soon see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Random - as has been stated - brutal honesty there.
On your second point - I really don't think TN had a viable alternative to Holly in terms of showing loyalty and honoring Pat. And ... I was impressed with everything she accomplished last year in a truly impossible situation and especially after that opening game loss. The little that I saw of TN last year also showed a little more organization on offense than the previous couple of years. I don't know how long Holly wants to continue coaching, but ideally she get you all through the next couple of years and then the program can make that 'clean break' you talk about.
On your third point - have to agree. I think Graves, after watching the USA basketball games this summer, is a great player. Russell should be very good but agree about the 'game changer' comparison you make. As for the back court - you nailed it, and hopefully Holly gets an assistant who can start teaching TN guards how to lead the team.

And ... Welcome to the boneyard - free to all comers and home to some really good WCBB debate. As long as you can stomach a few threads trashing TN and all things Orange which you really don't need to read, and a few threads over the top in praise of all things Uconn and National Flag Blue, you should find a nice little home here. If your analysis of other issues is as spot on as the above, you will become a favorite and add some nice Southern perspective to go along with our visitors tinted crimson for NJ, KY, OK, and CA, baby blue from duke, green from ND and Baylor, etc.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
Random - as has been stated - brutal honesty there.
On your second point - I really don't think TN had a viable alternative to Holly in terms of showing loyalty and honoring Pat. And ... I was impressed with everything she accomplished last year in a truly impossible situation and especially after that opening game loss. The little that I saw of TN last year also showed a little more organization on offense than the previous couple of years. I don't know how long Holly wants to continue coaching, but ideally she get you all through the next couple of years and then the program can make that 'clean break' you talk about.

I absolutely agree even though it wasn't my preference. And yes, as a LV fan I was pleasantly surprised with our season as a whole last year. Make no mistake about it, I bleed orange and I would love to see Holly take us back to the FF. But, I'm more of a realist than an optimist.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And ... Welcome to the boneyard - free to all comers and home to some really good WCBB debate. As long as you can stomach a few threads trashing TN and all things Orange which you really don't need to read, and a few threads over the top in praise of all things Uconn and National Flag Blue, you should find a nice little home here. If your analysis of other issues is as spot on as the above, you will become a favorite and add some nice Southern perspective to go along with our visitors tinted crimson for NJ, KY, OK, and CA, baby blue from duke, green from ND and Baylor, etc.

no-no-no.jpg

Reaction Score
Agree that Holly is a problem for TN. Just listening to her post game interview was sad. She just didn't know what to say and she was obviously distraught with her team's performance and probably how it reflected on her.

It appeared the LVols didn't prepare at all for the new officiating procedures, and that falls on the coaches. Conversely, I was pleased to see that UConn only had a couple of fouls near halftime in exhibition, so obviously they were paying attention.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Random, what is the general feeling over yonder with regard to the lawsuit and the recent changes in the Athletic Department? I seem to recall that before Maria took the Summitt private there was pretty unanimous resentment against Hart and all his works. Is that correct, and is it still the case? Oh, and welcome to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
So yes, I am a LV fan. So much that I was a paying member of the Summitt until just recently. But, that board is not worth the cost for a number of reasons I care not to share. I realize that I can never reveal my true identity after today because I do live in Tennessee where speaking negatively of the LV's is a crime punishable by hanging without a trial by jury. But I do have some confessions to make:

1. On UCONN: As much as it sucks for us LV fans, I believe UCONN is putting a very special team on the floor this year. Ask Baylor and BG, anything can happen, but I would be absolutely shocked to see anyone but UCONN cutting down the nets in our back yard. I just hope that if I keep putting this in writing and keep telling myself this now, it will hurt less in April, right? Oh and BTW, I am pretty sure that I am the only person in the state of Tennessee that isn't convinced UCONN is going to waste away and die in the AAC. Even if the AAC is a terrible conference.

2. On Tennessee: Where to start? Quite frankly I think that the best thing for us would have been a breath of fresh air so to speak after Pat's retirement. Yes, I realize that Holly led the team to the E8 and a regular season championship. I'm not calling for her to be fired by any means. Holly was an outstanding and loyal assistant coach and yes she should have been rewarded for being such. However, it would be nice to see a coach whose vocabulary includes more than two words: Defense and Rebounding. A leader with a different perspective could have done us wonders.

3. On Recruiting: M. Russell is a good pickup for us, but as a #1 recruit, she is not the game changer that #1's like Moore, EDD, Parker, and Stewie are. She and Graves are a strong front court, but the only way they will ever get the ball is by rebounding Simmons and Massengale's bricks. It doesn't appear that our back court players are every going to learn how to get them the ball. I hope I am wrong, but I think it's the same song, different verse when it comes to our back court this year.
What is your assessment of the LV guards? Since a final four appearance for any team is highly dependent on guard play, will the guards be able to deliver with an opponent (like Uconn and others) with extremely tight defense?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What is your assessment of the LV guards? Since a final four appearance for any team is highly dependent on guard play, will the guards be able to deliver with an opponent (like Uconn and others) with extremely tight defense?
Last night the guards were awful, aside from Carter hitting some shots at the end and getting into double figures. Between the guards and Burdick who was 3-13 or something, it was a horrible shooting night. Simmons (shocker) was 2-11. Massengale was 2-9. Reynolds was 0-3. Carter was 2-4, but had some FT's at the end.

I didn't see the game but 12 assists on 22 made baskets also indicates there wasn't much offense created by the guards. Of the 12 assists, the guards only h ad 6, and Massengale had 5. Simmons had none. So against a sorely overmatched team, your guards shoot 9-40 and manage just 6 assists. I'm glad their players talked about having one of the best front courts in the nation and not one of the best back courts.

I remember Tennessee fans talking about how much athleticism Carter would bring to the guard spot. Some feel she should start over Massengale. But if your guards aren't scoring and aren't dishing out assists, it's going to be a long season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last night the guards were awful, aside from Carter hitting some shots at the end and getting into double figures. Between the guards and Burdick who was 3-13 or something, it was a horrible shooting night. Simmons (shocker) was 2-11. Massengale was 2-9. Reynolds was 0-3. Carter was 2-4, but had some FT's at the end.

I didn't see the game but 12 assists on 22 made baskets also indicates there wasn't much offense created by the guards. Of the 12 assists, the guards only h ad 6, and Massengale had 5. Simmons had none. So against a sorely overmatched team, your guards shoot 9-40 and manage just 6 assists. I'm glad their players talked about having one of the best front courts in the nation and not one of the best back courts.

I remember Tennessee fans talking about how much athleticism Carter would bring to the guard spot. Some feel she should start over Massengale. But if your guards aren't scoring and aren't dishing out assists, it's going to be a long season.

I remember a few years ago when Alexis Jones chose Duke over Tenn... ... and some of the fans were saying that it wasnt that big of a deal.. that she was would have been just a luxury recruit as they would already have massengale, simmons... and carter. I know that Im biased... but Jones is way better than any guard on TN's roster..... bet they wish that had been able to snag her now

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago when Alexis Jones chose Duke over Tenn... ... and some of the fans were saying that it wasnt that big of a deal.. that she was would have been just a luxury recruit as they would already have massengale, simmons... and carter. I know that Im biased... but Jones is way better than any guard on TN's roster..... bet they wish that had been able to snag her now
Doesn't matter anyway. They feel they are going to land Durr from 2015. And even if they don't, Middleton outplayed every top guard in the class over the summer so they are all set...:confused:

Reaction Score

Alexis Jones is a very good player that will only get better. I will worry about her more then any other player when UCONN plays Duke.

Reaction Score

Its very refreshing to get an honest unbiased view of Tennessee from a Vol Fan.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
Random, what is the general feeling over yonder with regard to the lawsuit and the recent changes in the Athletic Department? I seem to recall that before Maria took the Summitt private there was pretty unanimous resentment against Hart and all his works. Is that correct, and is it still the case? Oh, and welcome to the Boneyard.

Well my subscription has been expired for a few weeks, but the general feeling was that Hart was a woman-hater hell bent on accelerating the extinction of everything Lady Vols. Me personally, I'm not convinced that's the case. The separated athletic departments was an antiquated system, and given the amount of money we were spending on bad FB and Men's Basketball hires, money had to be cut somewhere. It looks very, very bad for the UT athletic department, and there were some bad decisions, but I don't think Hart made all of his decisions based only on gender.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score

Short answer: I don't think so. I really hope I am wrong. Defensively, Tennessee, like most of the SEC has relied on scrappy, athletic, make-the-game-ugly defense. The new emphasis on cleaning up the game is going to call for big adjustments on our part. Quite frankly, adjustments are just not the forte of the LV program as of late. Offensively, Massengale and Simmons haven't shown that they can hit the big shots against elite teams, but they aren't shy about jacking them up. I hope this year they surprise me, but I don't expect anything different from the last two seasons.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I know that this is a stretch, but do you have any insight into why Pat changed her story on her firing/resignation? Seems very curious, to say the least.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well my subscription has been expired for a few weeks, but the general feeling was that Hart was a woman-hater hell bent on accelerating the extinction of everything Lady Vols. Me personally, I'm not convinced that's the case. The separated athletic departments was an antiquated system, and given the amount of money we were spending on bad FB and Men's Basketball hires, money had to be cut somewhere. It looks very, very bad for the UT athletic department, and there were some bad decisions, but I don't think Hart made all of his decisions based only on gender.
One thing we know is somehow that will be Geno's fault.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In some ways, it applies to a lot of athletic departments, who are not under quite the scrutiny / law suit involved there. There is a sizable and vocal minority of Rutgers fans who would like WBB reduced to, well, non-scholarship level if it could be, to put the money to the "real" sports - mostly football, with a dollup of MBB and Wrestling tossed in. Certainly fire CVS and her salary and bring in a newbie at minimum salary.

Besides the title IX implications of all these sort of ideas and machinations where they get that far, it can get very divisive among the fan base, as I suppose Tennessee is seeing. Sadly, of the 3 major sports, we can never forget that WBB lags far, far behind.

Reaction Score
Just like to welcome Random. You offer a perspective that IMHO will be very welcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom