Conference Schedule Being Released This Afternoon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conference Schedule Being Released This Afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
alexd. said:
?????? Does Gampel have 8 less games this season than they have had in the past???

I was referring to the fact that Hartford has eight games.

Reaction Score
I was referring to the fact that Hartford has eight games.

OK....I get that any game in Hartford takes away from Storrs, but Hartford has had 9-11 games for over 20 yars now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And it's not just the number, it's the lack of night games in Hartford. And all Sunday games should be at Gampel.

zls44

Reaction Score
alexd. said:
OK....I get that any game in Hartford takes away from Storrs, but Hartford has had 9-11 games for over 20 yars now.

In part because the Big East required they play there.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure...in recent years, a large % of weeknight home games that were on ESPN/ESPN2 were in Hartford as opposed to Gampel.

zls44

Reaction Score
John said:
that's a new one to me. Required?

There was a minimum capacity number that all conference home games had to meet and the Field House was well below it. As were the on-campus facilities at Providence, Georgetown, BC, St. John's and Villanova.

Reaction Score
There was a minimum capacity number that all conference home games had to meet and the Field House was well below it. As were the on-campus facilities at Providence, Georgetown, BC, St. John's and Villanova.

Probably Seton Hall too, no?

zls44

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Not since Gampel was built. And what was that, 25 years ago?

Exactly. They kept playing in Hartford because they could draw 16k for Syracuse and GTown.

It isn't 1990 anymore.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure...in recent years, a large % of weeknight home games that were on ESPN/ESPN2 were in Hartford as opposed to Gampel.

Having the weekend games in Gampel, and weeknight in Hartford was logical, as most people have more time on the weekend for the additional drive, and the shorter drive on worknights was easier.

Too bad to see that go by the wayside.

C

Chief00

that's a brutally boring schedule for the Hartford folks like me.

Quite frankly, in terms of competition, that's the worse Hartford schedule I have ever seen - and it's not even close.
Granted, the AAC is a relatively weak conference especially if you don't play UConn but it's apparent this wasn't thought through or worked enough.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm elated to have all these weekend XL games. Less traffic, no taking off from work to get to the game, suits not clogging the bars. Just the way I planned it. Too many weak opponents but we play who we can.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought the rule was that you cannot play more "home" games anywhere than you do on your true home court. With the exception of scrimmages, I always thought the games at XL = games at Gampel by necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom