Conference Schedule Being Released This Afternoon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference Schedule Being Released This Afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Why do we play you guys at 11:00am??? Our team already can't shoot in evening games...ready for another 50-45 game???

Reaction Score
How does everyone feel about the outlook for our RPI this coming season? SOS (based on last year's KenPom ratings which is admittedly an imperfect metric but I don't have much of a barometer otherwise for teams below 100 or so) is really all over the map.. while the categorization is somewhat arbitrary (Temple vs. UCF/USF, but I am going a bit on pedigree here also), I think it goes to show that we'll easily have >10 high quality match-ups, but probably a similar degree of rather weak caliber opposition.. if Tulsa remains solid against upgraded competition, that could be a nice addition the quality bucket:

Quality (at least 10, as many as 14)

AAC: 2x probably-weaker Cinci (23), 2x upgraded SMU (30), 2x Memphis (37)

Non-Conf: Florida (3), Duke (13), Stanford (36) though I would think takes a step back this year, Texas (39)

TBD: likely a diminished Dayton (38) although the alternative Texas A&M (121) will supposedly be much improved, ideally either New Mexico (31) or WVU (68), and then hopefully two reasonably strong games in AAC semis/finals.
Clunkers (12)

AAC: UCF (164), 2x USF (186), 2x ECU (242), 2x Tulane (282)

Non-Conf: Bryant (194), Charleston (206), Coppin St (290), Central Conn (295)

TBD: opening-round of AAC tourney (if we finish 1, 2 or 3, would be playing 6/7/8 seed in quarters)​

Somewhere in-between (5): 2x Tulsa (73), Columbia (123), Houston (125), Yale (144), 2x Temple (159)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How does everyone feel about the outlook for our RPI this coming season?

My advice is to just never look at it. And let me get this straight, we are in a crappy league that may not have another team in the Top 25. We raise ticket prices 20% and the 2nd best home OOC opponent is Yale. The attendance death spiral has begun.

Reaction Score
Will be at USF game ,hopefully I can get some tix to the one in Gainesville .

Reaction Score
Last year there were 15 or 16 games on ESPN/ESPN2 and CBS.

This year it's going to be 15 again.

I really thought UConn would get more than that with the departure of Louisville and the fact that ESPN is contractually bound to show a certain number of games on ESPN and ESPN2.

In fact, CBS is showing one more game than last year, so overall ESPN/ESPN2 is showing 1 less UConn game than last year.

This isn't much of a complaint when you realize that UConn was on more than any other AAC team last year, and in fact, it was on more than any school in America with the exception of Duke, UNC and Kentucky.

Reaction Score
So about when can we expect to see the Gameday schedule? I imagine the (FOUR-TIME) defending national champion deserves a visit. UConn more than deserves the Duke, KU, UK, UNC treatment.

Reaction Score
So about when can we expect to see the Gameday schedule? I imagine the (FOUR-TIME) defending national champion deserves a visit. UConn more than deserves the Duke, KU, UK, UNC treatment.
I think the only Gameday UConn is involved with this year will be at SMU.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Looking at what the headlines are for schools we are playing (as if we needed to do that), it's a clear reminder that all of these schools are going to be gunning for a chance to bring down the national champs. We're not sneaking up on anyone this year. It will be interesting to see how Coach Ollie motivates the guys to bring their A game every single day. Can't really use the "no one respects us" card this season... looking forward to the start of BB season!

Reaction Score
I don't understand the people nitpicking about whether CBSCS is "national." It has nothing to do with how many people have a cable package with it included.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the people nitpicking about whether CBSCS is "national." It has nothing to do with how many people have a cable package with it included.

Sure it does. You can call something a "national broadcast". But it makes all the difference if someone can't watch the game. Bottom line is a game on ESPN or ESPN2 has a gigantic base of potential viewers when compared to CBSSN, NBCSN or even FSN.

Reaction Score
Sure it does. You can call something a "national broadcast". But it makes all the difference if someone can't watch the game. Bottom line is a game on ESPN or ESPN2 has a gigantic base of potential viewers when compared to CBSSN, NBCSN or even FSN.

National is just the opposite of local or regional in TV terms, but even if that wasn't the case.

CBS Sports Network is available nationally on satellite providers DirecTV and Dish Network, and regionally on fiber optic television provider Verizon FiOS, and cable providers such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Cablevision, Charter Communications, Insight Communications, Bright House Networks, Blue Ridge Communications, Mediacom, RCN Corporation, Advanced Cable Communications and Bresnan.

Reaction Score
National is just the opposite of local or regional in TV terms, but even if that wasn't the case.

CBS Sports Network is available nationally on satellite providers DirecTV and Dish Network, and regionally on fiber optic television provider Verizon FiOS, and cable providers such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Cablevision, Charter Communications, Insight Communications, Bright House Networks, Blue Ridge Communications, Mediacom, RCN Corporation, Advanced Cable Communications and Bresnan.

OK....maybe I wasn't clear when I wrote. Sorry.

I can't speak for the other providers, but wth Comcast, CBSSN is NOT part of the standard cable package like ESPN an ESPN2 are. You need to upgrade to a premium package to get CBSSN. Not everybody, for economic reasons, is able to do that.

Reaction Score
I get that you're saying that fewer people are going to watch a CBSCS game. I'm not denying that. But that doesn't make it something other than a national broadcast.

My cable provider doesn't offer ESPN or ESPN2 in its basic cable package. But if I decided I was only gonna pay $30 a month or something, I can't complain that the games aren't more convenient for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is just depressing. SMU is our most (or 2nd most) exciting league game. Two years ago, if somebody told me that would be the case, I would slap them in the face. Now its reality...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Cincy game is at 11am. NYE game? Championship game at 3:15 on Sunday? I'm not thrilled.

That 11:00 game is an insult to the defending champions. Where is our conference here?

Reaction Score
Bottom line: as of today, not a single game played at the XL Center or Gampel Pavilion will be on primary ESPN. Perception wise...
is there really a distinction between espn and espn2? espnu yes. but the other two are almost synonymous in my book.

Reaction Score
That 11:00 game is an insult to the defending champions. Where is our conference here?
I'm pretty sure UConn played Notre Dame at 11am during the 2011-2012 season coming off a title year, preseason top 5, and while still in the Big East. It's because of the NFL playoffs.

Reaction Score
I'm a season ticket holder for the XL games. Would I be able to buy individual tickets for the Texas game at Gampel you think?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm a season ticket holder for the XL games. Would I be able to buy individual tickets for the Texas game at Gampel you think?

Why not? They announce the single game ticket sale in advance.

Reaction Score
Also, they finally realized not to schedule games at Gampel when students are on break. Fall semester ends (or the last day of final exams) is 12/8. The spring semester begins on 1/20. Games at Gampel during December and January? 12/5 against Yale and 1/22 against UCF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom