Conference Realignment Post Mortem Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment Post Mortem Thread

Reaction Score
When I figure out which flags I'll be flying I'll post it. Would love to have you stop by. Also extended earlier offers to a few other boneyarders, they are welcome as are any who I may have mistakenly overlooked.

In the middle of this upcoming week we'll be planning the logistics and menu. Next weekend will be testing all of the gear to ensure it's all in working order then after that it will be prep time for the food. One quick bit of info: it may be too early to break out the pizza oven so that won't debut for a few weeks.
What about Bobby Boucher

Attachments

• 45AD546B-8E81-4E7F-9CBE-4E2385AF19C2.jpeg
    45AD546B-8E81-4E7F-9CBE-4E2385AF19C2.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 67

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The point is quality opponents matter if we want to expand the base. I’m not talking about the great stuff happening on the field. A bottom dwelling MAC like schedule isn’t going to cut it, especially if we wish to be considered for a power conference. With CR and super conference scheduling , we are perilously close to being unable to schedule any P4 teams. The is a big picture issue.

Literally tomorrow we could have a few PAC teams on the slate. Id get home and away with Stanford, Cal, WSU and OSU on the schedule over the next 4 years. One west coast trip a year isn’t going to kill us. We could have one come in and we go out for the other filling 2 games a year.
I agree fully.

I personally believe that the remaining PAC schools should work out a situation where they are merged with the WCC for all sports except football (so their Olympic sports won't have to pile up tens of thousands of frequent flyer miles every season) and operate as football independents with scheduling arrangements with each other. Among other things, this will allow (if one school has a good enough football season, that school would receive a full share of a CFP payout) them to maintain their athletics at a reasonable level. I also have a slightly selfish angle on this as I would want an extended scheduling arrangement with these schools for us.

One thing we will need to face (keep in mind, this is how schools like Miami and FSU were able to gain credibility as national powers 40+ years ago) is that we will have to be road warriors at some level to play top level schools. What some call body bag games will actually be opportunities to both gain a payday and compete at the highest level. After a few years of winning some of these we may be able to gain a sufficient enough ranking where we can schedule a stray home game or two against a name opponent.

If you are worried about being able to schedule any P4 opponents, we should be able to. If you are worried about being able to schedule home games against top P4 opponents, that will only happen if schools like Syracuse, Duke and BC have seasons where they are near the top of the rannkings.

Reaction Score
When Yormark mentioned UConn in his final statement, UConn was linked with Gonzaga. I am wondering if it was a basketball only invite. That would not have been helpful to UConn at all. He toyed with us. The Big 12 door has been shut to UConn now as they likely will wait until ACC schools become available and they will take precedence over UConn, leaving UConn shut out again. AD Dave has been silent as he likely feels betrayed as well. This was a devastating blow, at least for me....and with all the talk of Calford to the ACC, UConn not even in the conversation. It even looks like the ACC will take SMU as well! Unbelievable!
At this point the ACC didn’t want us anyway. We had more value to the Big12 than the ACC. SMU would have brought the Dallas market into the conference. Not surprised at all that we weren’t in the ACC conversation

Reaction Score
At this point the ACC didn’t want us anyway. We had more value to the Big12 than the ACC. SMU would have brought the Dallas market into the conference. Not surprised at all that we weren’t in the ACC conversation
The ACC is loaded up on Northeastern disappointment. I’m pretty sure they’d gladly trade BC for us if it were an option. Cuse and BC’s struggles are actually hurting our chances.

Reaction Score
The only conference that makes sense is the B1G and that isn’t happening because they see no necessity. We’ve been effectively blackballed by the ACC, B12 used and abused us, and SEC isn’t playing up north. The whole B12 debacle is infuriating. Boy did we get played for dopes.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The only conference that makes sense is the B1G and that isn’t happening because they see no necessity. We’ve been effectively blackballed by the ACC, B12 used and abused us, and SEC isn’t playing up north. The whole B12 debacle is infuriating. Boy did we get played for dopes.
you guys bought into the hype from your boosters and media members.

uconn did talk with the big 12 but it was never serious. people in the media sold you guys on a dream that was never going to happen.

shame on them!

Reaction Score
We didn’t get in the Big 12 because the Pac12 dissolved and the schools wanted Arizona, ASU and Utah. We didn’t get played.

Reaction Score
We didn’t get in the Big 12 because the Pac12 dissolved and the schools wanted Arizona, ASU and Utah. We didn’t get played.
You are confusing outcome with the process and dynamics. They were hedging us precisely to allow for that possibility to arise knowing if Colorado jumped there was a possibility the other corners would follow. Otherwise we would have went with Colorado. We got strung out and played big time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are confusing outcome with the process and dynamics. They were hedging us precisely to allow for that possibility to arise knowing if Colorado jumped there was a possibility the other corners would follow. Otherwise we would have went with Colorado. We got strung out and played big time.
Disagree. If Oregon and Washington don't decide to accept half shares to the big 10, we were in. We have heard from PAC 12 school saying that they show up at the PAC 12 meeting, that GOR was going to be signed. It was that close.

sing that we were "played" means that there was never any interest in us. The facts don't bear that out. At worst, we were a hedge.

Reaction Score
And there are some FB rivalries in that group.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And there are some FB rivalries in that group.

Which no one gives a spit about. I bet fans are knocking each other over to watch mediocre WVU, Cincinnati, ASU and Texas Tech teams play each other. Not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I will say that it says a lot about this board that it ever believed the insane theory that Colorado would leave and the rest of the Pac 12 would stay together and UConn would be invited to join the Big 12. That is probably the stupidest theory that an entire Board has ever fallen for in the history of realignment.

It was seriously idiotic.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We have heard from PAC 12 school saying that they show up at the PAC 12 meeting, that GOR was going to be signed. It was that close.

Washington State and Oregon State are saying that to save face. There was never going to be a Pac-12 GOR signed. Never. Never.

The Pac-12 was DOA the day USC and UCLA left. There was zero chance they’d make it.

Reaction Score
Which no one gives a spit about. I bet fans are knocking each other over to watch mediocre WVU, Cincinnati, ASU and Texas Tech teams play each other. Not.
Correction: Which you don't give a spit about. You're entitled to your opinion(s), of course, but the fact remains that more people are watching those WVU, Cincinnati, ASU, and Texas Tech matchups, either remotely or in person, than are knocking themselves out or even accidentally tuning-in to watch any games involving UConn football. Such distinctions are what motivate media and conference moguls to determine a school's fate.

Reaction Score
I will say that it says a lot about this board that it ever believed the insane theory that Colorado would leave and the rest of the Pac 12 would stay together and UConn would be invited to join the Big 12. That is probably the stupidest theory that an entire Board has ever fallen for in the history of realignment.

That’s a ridiculous take. Now you’re telling us you knew how this would work out after the fact. Maybe you should be a fortune teller.

Reaction Score
That’s a ridiculous take. Now you’re telling us you knew how this would work out after the fact. Maybe you should be a fortune teller.

He did actually call that. He said it was hard to believe the PAC schools would just let Colorado leave and standby in the P12 to die. Nelson never bought that.

I thought we’d likely get in with Colorado and then the B12 would end up adding 4-6 PAC schools in due time.

Reaction Score
He did actually call that. He said it was hard to believe the PAC schools would just let Colorado leave and standby in the P12 to die. Nelson never bought that.

I thought we’d likely get in with Colorado and then the B12 would end up adding 4-6 PAC schools in due time.
Bingo. Once Colorado announced and we didn’t, it was pretty obvious we got suckered and were the last option only if time didn’t do its job on the other 3 corners.

Reaction Score

It’s actually the most sense he has made in a very long time. If you expected the PAC 12 to stay together then you were not in touch with reality.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There are about 20 posts on this board of me saying that the "just one school leaves the Pac 12" theory was insane while it was happening. Feel free to find a post where I said otherwise. I thought from the start that UConn had to be the only addition to the Big 12, or it wasn't going to happen for us.

I also predicted back in April or May that the Pac 12 would get a decent contract from Apple. I got that right.

I also predicted (copied in the Streaming thread on this board) that NIL and the Transfer Portal would have a HUGE impact on college sports, and within 6 months TCU plays for the CFP Championship and SDSU and Florida Atlantic made the Final Four.

I am not a fortune teller and I do not have any inside information. I know the tech world a little and I went to most of my Strategic Management classes at UConn and grad school, so I was able to put some things together.

Reaction Score

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Had Big not come for Oregon/Washington, it wasn’t so far fetched.

I think the PAC was ready to move forward without Colorado.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s actually the most sense he has made in a very long time. If you expected the PAC 12 to stay together then you were not in touch with reality.

My prediction was a little different. I didn't think just one team would leave the Pac 12. It was either going to come apart, or stick together.

It was a sequential game, and I didn't know how much money ESPN was willing to spend. It turned out to be a lot, which will bite them in the butt in the long-term but nuked the Pac 12, UConn, and possibly all of college football, in the short-term.

Reaction Score
There are about 20 posts on this board of me saying that the "just one school leaves the Pac 12" theory was insane while it was happening. Feel free to find a post where I said otherwise. I thought from the start that UConn had to be the only addition to the Big 12, or it wasn't going to happen for us.

I also predicted back in April or May that the Pac 12 would get a decent contract from Apple. I got that right.

I also predicted (copied in the Streaming thread on this board) that NIL and the Transfer Portal would have a HUGE impact on college sports, and within 6 months TCU plays for the CFP Championship and SDSU and Florida Atlantic made the Final Four.

I am not a fortune teller and I do not have any inside information. I know the tech world a little and I went to most of my Strategic Management classes at UConn and grad school, so I was able to put some things together.
Sorry, but the Pac12 didn't really blow up until the new media deal was released and Washington and Oregon left. You could say that it started to crumble when UCLA and USC jumped ship, but there were still schools trying to hold it together until the end. The media deal killed off that chance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the Pac12 didn't really blow up until the new media deal was released and Washington and Oregon left. You could say that it started to crumble when UCLA and USC jumped ship, but there were still schools trying to hold it together until the end. The media deal killed off that chance.

The media deal did not kill off the Pac 12. The Pac 12 got a decent deal from Apple, which is why Fox and ESPN went in for the kill. Much like with the Big East 12 years ago, Fox and ESPN could have gotten the Pac 12 as a single conference for less than they ended up paying to break it up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is a wild prediction. I think ESPN will go back to one or more of the conferences it currently has to try to renegotiate its contracts with them at some point. ESPN's current deals are not sustainable without bundled cable revenue, which is already ending.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom