Condition of the Rent (?) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Condition of the Rent (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There was a Michigan poster on these boards years ago who joked that Michigan's "remodeling/stadium expansion" involved just painting the lines between the seats a little closer together, enabling them to fit more people into the same space.
I was convinced Penn State did this. Used to go to games every year growing up and by my late teens I swear the space got smaller (no it wasn't just because I was growing!). When they added the two end zone tiers I was convinced they also shrank seat sizes. I love the Rent because I never feel like someone is sitting on top of me or that I'm trapped in the middle of a row!

Reaction Score
I think that if there are any around willing to attest, the playing surface that was memorial stadium on campus was one of the best fields around. I agree with the sentiment that if the school actually had a program that involved grounds maintenance for the natural grass field, that there wouldn't be an issue ever, as to the quality of the playing surface.

The thing about Rentschler field, is that no matter what ever happens, it all boils down to the simple fact that UCONN does not own the facility and is a lessee.

There are positive and negative aspects to everything, and being a renter - the negative is that it's the landlord's discretion really, as to what kinds of structural and maintenance, etc....types of things are going to done that aren't specified exactly in the rental contracts. Usually if it's not in the contract, it's not getting done.

Check the contracts as to maintenance of the field. I bet you'd find that everything is being done that is specified.
I think it was generally regarded as a really good playing field, when I was in school a crew seemed to be constantly working on it, watering it.... Coast Guard had a really good natural grass field too but they went artificial awhile back. Don't remember that amount of sand underlying at Memorial, This stuff seems to rip up more easily . The roots cant seem to anchor down in it. Different grass type.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
100% agree on both points.

For example, this history of Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor is impressive; but,t eh stadium itself is underwhelming and I could not for the life of me figure out who they fit +100K into it (this was before the 2010 renovation). Tailgating is also an adventure

As for the Rent, there is not reason that a new stadium that sees maybe 10 events a year on it (6-8 UConn football + a soccer game or 2) has such poor turf. I can't remember it being that bad the first few years. Maybe the soil has something to do with it? The stadium is below ground level, so maybe it has to do with a high water table and/or polluted water table as it was built on an old, industrial airport. That said, such issues would be well known and I assume if such a problem present, they would have capped the water table around the stadium, built in good drainage, and piled a lot of good, clean soil above it.

The grass at The Rent was replaced in 2012. Prior to that, the field was always in very good condition with the exception being after the Rolling Stones concert...their "rolling stage" chewed up the west endzone and G-10 yd line. The new sod they laid down in 2012 has not been as good.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the hideous Colonials logo clearly visible under the UCONN logo in the end zones. That was especially small time.

Reaction Score
Boat, first thought was what does the Rent and Coins have to do with each other, then I realized USMNT wasn't the US Mint.
Have to go with Jimmy, Americans
Do not GAFF about soccer. Why let an obscure sport rule the prime tenant?

Field turf is the best, put it in and make it US flag blue!

Soccer is an obscure sport...lol

Reaction Score
Agree, West Point is a great venue. My only gripe with going there is the traffic in and out of the stadium. Notre Dame's stadium was great, Touch Down Jesus and all the memorials but especally the win. Also have been to Happy Valley and Ohio State's stadium. Agree with you about BC, almost felt like a High School venue. I think the Carrier Dome is overrated and nowhere near as nice as advertised.

Norte Dame and Penn State are great only because of the fan atmosphere. The seating is not anywhere as good as the Rent. Very cramped, particularly if you are wearing winter gear. The Rose Bowl is even worse. I'm only 6 foot and I can't sit straight in my seat. Thank goodness the seat next to me was empty so I could sit side saddle.

Reaction Score
Boat, first thought was what does the Rent and Coins have to do with each other, then I realized USMNT wasn't the US Mint.
Have to go with Jimmy, Americans
Do not GAFF about soccer. Why let an obscure sport rule the prime tenant?

Field turf is the best, put it in and make it US flag blue!

Were the turf lovers at the UCONN games last year? The grass held up very well despite some crappy weather. It was the team that didn't hold up very well.
Agree the grass in 2013 was terrible.

Reaction Score
I was at the UConn/Michigan game in Ann Arbor. The atmosphere was exhilarating, but the outcome of the game was a disappointment (we could have won that game), and the seating was unbelievably cramped. If Michagan gave the same amount of space given to each person that The Rent allows, it would seat only 75,000 not the 110,000 that were at the game. I travel to many of the away games and the seating at The Rent is superior to most. We just need and addition of 15,000 to 20,000 seats. And an improvement in the amenities such as the addition of a raised bar seating under the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Norte Dame and Penn State are great only because of the fan atmosphere. The seating is not anywhere as good as the Rent. Very cramped, particularly if you are wearing winter gear. The Rose Bowl is even worse. I'm only 6 foot and I can't sit straight in my seat. Thank goodness the seat next to me was empty so I could sit side saddle.

If I were to judge football stadiums by seat comfort, I would never go to a college football game. My lazy boy recliner, 60 inch Sam Sung smart TV and fridge full of Silver bullets trump any stadium for comfort. Come to think of it, everyone could have brought their Lazyboy's to the SMU game and we still would not have filled the Tent by a long shot!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The only real sign of wear and tear other than a few seats cracked and metal benches bent is there are cracks in the concrete where the water pours through on a rainy day. The field has nothing to do with the age of the stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another big time soccer game coming to the Rent this summer. Rentschler was chosen over the Big House in Ann Arbor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another big time soccer game coming to the Rent this summer. Rentschler was chosen over the big house in Ann Arbor.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/04...ities-and-schedule-for-north-america-matches/

The schedule is as follows:
· Saturday, July 11
o Club América vs. Los Angeles Galaxy – StubHub Center; Carson, California. 11:30 p.m. EST
· Tuesday, July 14
o Club América vs. San Jose Earthquakes – Avaya Stadium; San Jose, California. 10:30 p.m. EST
· Friday, July 17
o Club América vs. Manchester United F.C. – CenturyLink Field; Seattle, Washington. 11 p.m. EST
· Saturday, July 18
o FC Porto vs. Paris Saint-Germain F.C. – BMO Field; Toronto, Canada. 8:30 p.m. EST
· Tuesday, July 21
o Los Angeles Galaxy vs. FC Barcelona – Rose Bowl; Los Angeles, California. 11 p.m. EST
o Paris Saint-Germain F.C. vs. ACF Fiorentina – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 8:30 p.m. EST
o Manchester United F.C. vs. San Jose Earthquakes – To Be Announced.
· Wednesday, July 22
o Chelsea F.C. vs. New York Red Bulls – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 8 p.m. EST
· Friday, July 24
o ACF Fiorentina vs. FC Porto – Rentschler Field; Hartford, Connecticut. 8 p.m. EST
· Saturday July 25
o Manchester United F.C. vs. F.C. Barcelona – Levi’s Stadium; Santa Clara, California. 4 p.m. EST
o Paris Saint-Germain F.C. vs. Chelsea F.C. – Bank of America Stadium; Charlotte, North Carolina. 6 p.m. EST
· Sunday, July 26
o FC Porto vs. New York Red Bulls – Red Bull Arena; Harrison, New Jersey. 7:30 p.m. EST
· Tuesday, July 28
o FC Barcelona vs. Chelsea F.C. – FedEx Field; Washington D.C. 8 p.m. EST
o Club América vs. FC Porto – Estadio Azteca; Mexico City, Mexico. 10 p.m. EST
· Wednesday, July 29
o Manchester United F.C. vs. Paris Saint-Germain F.C. – Solider Field; Chicago, Illinois. 9 p.m. EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom