Condition of the Rent (?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Condition of the Rent (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Went to the UConn at UCF game in 2013. Nothing but a big tin can. Very disappointing. Great pre-game tailgate atmosphere in their version of a Grove but the in-stadium vibe was bleh. Losing by 50 didn't help either. Aside from The Rent my ranking for College only games I have been to: Michigan, South Florida, Citrus Bowl (05 Capital One Bowl), Whatever the Stadium in Charlotte is called (Meineke Bowl), Univ of Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl, Pittsburgh, UCF, Yankee Stadium, BC, Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I did not especially like the Michigan Stadium, as the seating was very, very cramped and it is an old stadium with a facelift on the front. If they ever have an emergency evacuation it would be slow going as the exits were few and far between.
I had no idea where the concessions were.
I loved the bowl in Toronto, wish it were still available. Had a good time also at Charlotte. Did not like the Papa John's Bowl except for the game, we stunned them for not taking us seriously.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I liked the Big House but agree that it felt crammed. Notre Dame Stadium was nice...particularly walking around campus pre-game. Boston College felt sterile to me and (channeling my inner whiny BC fan voice about their experience at the Rent), I didn't appreciate being yelled at before and after the game by BC students for wearing my UConn gear. For my money, the best away venue I've been to has been West Point. Buy yourself a ticket in the upper deck overlooking the Hudson River valley on a crisp October Saturday afternoon. You won't be sorry (other than the awful football you'll see from our Cadets).

Reaction Score
Rent still looks great, especially with the added improvements over the years (jumbotron & ribbon boards, concessions, etc). Field is usually in very good shape come September. Just need more wins, more fans at the games, and a P5 invite would be nice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most college stadiums are utilitarian, even the famous ones. It's the people in them that make them great. The Rent is a far better stadium than the recent football played in it.

The only real complaint A.D. (After DJ Joe-ezz) is the turf. UConn was founded as a freakin Ag school, the inability to maintain a lawn in an embarrassment. Yes, I know UConn doesn't manage the stadium. That's not an excuse if they accept such a poor field.

Reaction Score
Most college stadiums are utilitarian, even the famous ones. It's the people in them that make them great. The Rent is a far better stadium than the recent football played in it.

The only real complaint A.D. (After DJ Joe-ezz) is the turf. UConn was founded as a freakin Ag school, the inability to maintain a lawn in an embarrassment. Yes, I know UConn doesn't manage the stadium. That's not an excuse if they accept such a poor field.

Field turf is the way to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fake grass sucks. The turf was fine for years, no reason it should have problems.

Reaction Score

100% agree on both points.

For example, this history of Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor is impressive; but,t eh stadium itself is underwhelming and I could not for the life of me figure out who they fit +100K into it (this was before the 2010 renovation). Tailgating is also an adventure

As for the Rent, there is not reason that a new stadium that sees maybe 10 events a year on it (6-8 UConn football + a soccer game or 2) has such poor turf. I can't remember it being that bad the first few years. Maybe the soil has something to do with it? The stadium is below ground level, so maybe it has to do with a high water table and/or polluted water table as it was built on an old, industrial airport. That said, such issues would be well known and I assume if such a problem present, they would have capped the water table around the stadium, built in good drainage, and piled a lot of good, clean soil above it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All the more reason to install field turf.
I know the above is what passes for wit in your mind, but the USMNT games have been the only decent events in the Rent over the last two years. Maybe you can squeeze the UCF and Michigan games in there.

Reaction Score
I know the above is what passes for wit in your mind, but the USMNT games have been the only decent events in the Rent over the last two years. Maybe you can squeeze the UCF and Michigan games in there.

Yeah you like soccer. I get it. There are plenty of others here that do as well. I couldn't care less if the USMNT ever plays another game at the Rent. I'd rather sit through a dozen Pasqualoni spring games where they ran the goal line drills for 7 hours. If I wanted to watch a bunch of guys in shorts run around and flop I'd watch pro wrestling.

Reaction Score
I liked the Big House but agree that it felt crammed. Notre Dame Stadium was nice...particularly walking around campus pre-game. Boston College felt sterile to me and (channeling my inner whiny BC fan voice about their experience at the Rent), I didn't appreciate being yelled at before and after the game by BC students for wearing my UConn gear. For my money, the best away venue I've been to has been West Point. Buy yourself a ticket in the upper deck overlooking the Hudson River valley on a crisp October Saturday afternoon. You won't be sorry (other than the awful football you'll see from our Cadets).

Agree, West Point is a great venue. My only gripe with going there is the traffic in and out of the stadium. Notre Dame's stadium was great, Touch Down Jesus and all the memorials but especally the win. Also have been to Happy Valley and Ohio State's stadium. Agree with you about BC, almost felt like a High School venue. I think the Carrier Dome is overrated and nowhere near as nice as advertised.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

For example, this history of Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor is impressive; but,t eh stadium itself is underwhelming and I could not for the life of me figure out who they fit +100K into it (this was before the 2010 renovation). Tailgating is also an adventure

As for the Rent, there is not reason that a new stadium that sees maybe 10 events a year on it (6-8 UConn football + a soccer game or 2) has such poor turf. I can't remember it being that bad the first few years. Maybe the soil has something to do with it? The stadium is below ground level, so maybe it has to do with a high water table and/or polluted water table as it was built on an old, industrial airport. That said, such issues would be well known and I assume if such a problem present, they would have capped the water table around the stadium, built in good drainage, and piled a lot of good, clean soil above it.

I'm fairly certain that it's because the building owner doesn't care and the primary tenant doesn't sufficiently make them care or simply takes over care of the grass.

For example, I too have been to Happy Valley and other prominent college venues. They routinely water, mow, repair the field year round and cover the grass during weather events.

Anyone ever seen the Rent field covered? How about a turf crew off season? Do they protect it from traffic when not playing on it? Who is actually the crew caring for the field?

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain that it's because the building owner doesn't care and the primary tenant doesn't sufficiently make them care or simply takes over care of the grass.

For example, I too have been to Happy Valley and other prominent college venues. They routinely water, mow, repair the field year round and cover the grass during weather events.

Anyone ever seen the Rent field covered? How about a turf crew off season? Do they protect it from traffic when not playing on it? Who is actually the crew caring for the field?
Seems like a pretty solid internship opportunity

Reaction Score

The simple solution is to turn over maintenance of the playing field to the College of Agriculture & let the them do their thing. If the academics had a Masters program dedicated to optimizing the integrity of the Rent's lawn, I theorize that they'd have it looking pristine in no time. Either that, or turn over supervision of grounds maintenance to SCOTTS for endorsement purposes. Win-Win. UConn gets great turf & an endorsement fee & SCOTTS gets to film commercials at the airstrip (which also is free advertising for UConn.)

Reaction Score
I think that if there are any around willing to attest, the playing surface that was memorial stadium on campus was one of the best fields around. I agree with the sentiment that if the school actually had a program that involved grounds maintenance for the natural grass field, that there wouldn't be an issue ever, as to the quality of the playing surface.

The thing about Rentschler field, is that no matter what ever happens, it all boils down to the simple fact that UCONN does not own the facility and is a lessee.

There are positive and negative aspects to everything, and being a renter - the negative is that it's the landlord's discretion really, as to what kinds of structural and maintenance, etc....types of things are going to done that aren't specified exactly in the rental contracts. Usually if it's not in the contract, it's not getting done.

Check the contracts as to maintenance of the field. I bet you'd find that everything is being done that is specified.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For some reason, a specific event occurred before which the field was continually in good shape, but after which many of the issues Rentschler currently faces arose. It was either a Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen concert, if memory serves, in about the 2007-2008 time frame. I remember the grass at the scoreboard end being dead and/or discolored. I could be wrong but that point in time stick out in my mind as a turning point in playing surface management.

Regarding the original post, The Rent is absolutely showing its age. It's performing as well or better than a 13 year old facility should. It's not like the toilets are upflushing like Schaefer Stadium. The bubbler water is not brown, and they didn't cheap out by putting troughs in the mens' rooms in lieu of urinals.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
USMNT doesn't play on field turf.

Boat, first thought was what does the Rent and Coins have to do with each other, then I realized USMNT wasn't the US Mint.
Have to go with Jimmy, Americans
Do not GAFF about soccer. Why let an obscure sport rule the prime tenant?

Field turf is the best, put it in and make it US flag blue!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

There was a Michigan poster on these boards years ago who joked that Michigan's "remodeling/stadium expansion" involved just painting the lines between the seats a little closer together, enabling them to fit more people into the same space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom