Clingan declares for the NBA | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Clingan declares for the NBA

Reaction Score
I could not be happier for and more thankful to Donovan. He’s clearly a young man with a ton of heart and loyalty. He stayed loyal to Bristol and his teammates and coaches there. He then followed his heart and stayed loyal to CT by heading to UConn. And his hard work and dedication has allowed us to ride along as he helped to bring UConn back to the top of college basketball. And what an amazing ride it has been.

It has been an absolute joy watching him play, and I look forward to watching him for another 10+ years.

Reaction Score
He can be an even better defense player than Gobert as he has a bigger frame and moves his feet well on smaller players (playing against those small guards in HS actually might’ve helped him a lot there).

Way more upside offensively too.
Goebert a hall of fame caliber center, soon to be 4-time DPOY.

Reaction Score
In a completely predictable turn of events, this has led to a massive influx of the world’s dumbest Facebook comments from people who have very strong opinions, yet do not remotely understand the NBA or seemingly the game of basketball as a whole.
It's scary how dumb the takes are.
Screenshot_20240413-220725_Facebook.jpg

Reaction Score
Anyone else have a casual who you know doesn't follow the team try to tell you that Clingan should stay an extra year?!

Reaction Score
Who'd be dumb enough to trust the opinions of coaches & NBA scouts over random Facebook posters?

Reaction Score
Tough day for "he's not ready" guys. Top 10 pick incoming. Probable 9 figure contract to follow about 4 years from now
No. We’ll only find out if he’s actually ready when he starts playing in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I’m so happy to be as wrong as I was about Clingan when he was first coming in. One of our more impactful players ever during his time here.

He will be immensely missed and teams will be silly to let him slip out the top 5.
The thing is he's such a good kid ... he's got some skills that should translate pretty well in the NBA and with the proper coaching and self motivation, he could be really special ....

Reaction Score
Seems like it went by so fast. It's the right decision for him though. Two seasons at UConn, two National Titles (and a Big East regular season and tourney title). Couldn't have asked for anything better. Kid's a winner! Good luck Donovan and thank you for staying home. Forever a Husky and a Connecticut legend!!!

View attachment 99553
I'm out of state (for years now) and so I was oblivious about Clingan completely until I saw the Huskies in the post season last year .... he really impressed me then and when I heard his story, about losing his Mom to cancer and dedicating his play for her, WOW, what a big impact ... he only got appreciably better this year and hopefully that trend will continue in the NBA ... I'd love for him to go to San Antonio because of Greg Popovich teaching him ..... hope it happens ....

Reaction Score
Most of the people in those comments don’t watch the nba. you can tell by the comments.
They just look at his stats and go "What?? He only averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds and let Zach Edney score 37 on him?? What a joke if he thinks he's going 1st round!". facepalm

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No better evidence that Facebook is now exclusively the province of "get off my lawn" Boomers.
No better evidence of a post that doesn't factcheck.

Twice as many 25-34s as there are 65+s.

Reaction Score
No better evidence of a post that doesn't factcheck.

Twice as many 25-34s as there are 65+s.
Users is probably used very loosely here. I am in the 25-34 demographic, I have a Facebook still but literally never use it. My Father is in the 65+ and uses it a good amount. All of my friends still have their Facebook but none of them use it. I’d venture to guess that’s a common thread across the country.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Users is probably used very loosely here. I am in the 25-34 demographic, I have a Facebook still but literally never use it. My Father is in the 65+ and uses it a good amount. All of my friends still have their Facebook but none of them use it. I’d venture to guess that’s a common thread across the country.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence. It is a long ways from proving FB is "exclusively the province of boomers".

If you wanted to say GenZ is actively using FB a whole lot less than MIllennials, stats will cover your butt on that. But you're gonna have to cast a net pretty far and wide to come up with data that shows boomers actively use FB more than millennials. From everything I've seen out there, it's not even close.

I'm retired, but I used to consult professional associations and conference producers on social media in the early days. My #1 protege still does and is very successful at it. There is tons and tons of marketing data out there that prove your statement is nothing more than whining about old folks, who are more likely on NextDoor these days complaining about dogs pooping in their yard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is definitely the case. I'm also in the 25-34 range and everyone I know barely uses it and if they do it's just keeping in touch with older family where that's the only social media they have

Reaction Score
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence. It is a long ways from proving FB is "exclusively the province of boomers".
Maybe they are louder so to speak, who knows.

The 25 to 40s I know don't use it much. Some friends have deleted their profile.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is definitely the case. I'm also in the 25-34 range and everyone I know barely uses it and if they do it's just keeping in touch with older family where that's the only social media they have
Again with "definitely the case".

It's not boomers. It's GenX and GenY FAR more than boomers.

C'mon. The BY is known for nerdy stats to back up esoteric arguments. And we dump on folks who throw out anecdotal crap to make a generalization. So why does this apply to college hoops and not social media usage?

Reaction Score
Again with "definitely the case".

It's not boomers. It's GenX and GenY FAR more than boomers.

C'mon. The BY is known for nerdy stats to back up esoteric arguments. And we dump on folks who throw out anecdotal crap to make a generalization. So why does this apply to college hoops and not social media usage?
I'm not dismissing anything, I just don't think that one statistic tells the whole story. I absolutely believe that there are far more GenX and GenY users on Facebook. I'd be curious to see if there's data on who actually posts, not just who signs up.

Every young person has an account, but from personal experience it just sits there and those people don't post as much as older people. Could be completely different from reality, I'm just saying what my experience is which is all my post was saying

Reaction Score
I'm not dismissing anything, I just don't think that one statistic tells the whole story. I absolutely believe that there are far more GenX and GenY users on Facebook. I'd be curious to see if there's data on who actually posts, not just who signs up.

Every young person has an account, but from personal experience it just sits there and those people don't post as much as older people. Could be completely different from reality, I'm just saying what my experience is which is all my post was saying
I deleted my account some years ago because I love my family and wanted to continue to. But I've thought about re-signing up for subgroups on AP classes I teach and other hobbies where a space like reddit doesn't really fully scratch that itch or provide as many helpful resources. I think many of the younger people who are active are active in niche subgroups or using Facebook Marketplace. That's engagement, but of a different type than I think the discussion here.

Reaction Score
"Every young person has an account" Well that right there is different than my experience. In the 42-46 age range of people I know, I'm an outlier amongst my closest friends. They never signed up for Facebook or any other social media. Overall my acquaintances in that age range on Facebook they are very active on the site and use it daily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because we actually give a rats ass about college hoops?

Reaction Score
"Every young person has an account" Well that right there is different than my experience. In the 42-46 age range of people I know, I'm an outlier amongst my closest friends. They never signed up for Facebook or any other social media. Overall my acquaintances in that age range on Facebook they are very active on the site and use it daily.
That’s what @navery12 and I are saying. the low age demographic we belong has more facebook accounts but don’t use them, the older demographics have fewer accounts percentage-wise but those that do use it wayyyy more often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom