Clingan declares for the NBA | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Clingan declares for the NBA

Reaction Score
Followed you thru HS when there were doubters. Was little doubt in college. Will follow you with pride in NBA.
Your what CT. Basketball Is all about on all levels.
Thanks for the memories!!!

Reaction Score
He didn't say Clingan was coming back. He said he thought he might come back. Donovan didn't talk like he knew he was leaving until he made the announcement today. This criticism is not warranted.
Agreed. Chill out. What a kill Joy.

Reaction Score
They came out of the woodwork when Jay Bilas spoke out of his backside and said Clingan would come back
Were there people who thought he should come back, or were there people suggesting that even though he shouldn't Clingan has always played by his own rules (staying at Bristol) and might come back? Or do I have a bunch of people blocked?

Because most people I saw assumed he was leaving but given Bilas's comment thought "well, maybe he wants to be a kid another year, given his specific history." Cuz that's where I was: always assuming he was leaving, but knowing he is a unique dude.

Reaction Score
He deserves only good things. Hope he enjoys a great career. What a good young man.
Oh, and he is pretty good at basketball too.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Hard to come up with an original adjective to describe what Donovan has accomplished and led to 2 nattys...

I was clearly in the "wait and see" camp when he arrived on campus with lofty expectations..perhaps burned by the way we often over hype new big men ( ie Akok Akok, Ater Majok etc )...It didn't take long to recognize the unique defensive presence and basketball IQ , he brought to the table..Safe to say he exceeeded expectations by 10X

Two years later and I'd rate him as the best defensive player ( with apologies to Emeka Okafor )I have seen in over 50 years of watching UConn basketball...and way more than just a rim protector... a defensive game changer beyond belief..

Thanks Donovan for your amazing contributions and good luck in NBA!!!

Reaction Score
Were there people who thought he should come back, or were there people suggesting that even though he shouldn't Clingan has always played by his own rules (staying at Bristol) and might come back? Or do I have a bunch of people blocked?

Because most people I saw assumed he was leaving but given Bilas's comment thought "well, maybe he wants to be a kid another year, given his specific history." Cuz that's where I was: always assuming he was leaving, but knowing he is a unique dude.
There was definitely some of that, but there was also a group of people saying things like his post offense isn't good enough or his shooting would make him a second rounder

Reaction Score
Thank you for loving the Boneyard Donovan! Stay humble, and God Bless you! Best wishes writing the next chapter of your book.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He didn't say Clingan was coming back. He said he thought he might come back. Donovan didn't talk like he knew he was leaving until he made the announcement today. This criticism is not warranted.
Especially that everything else Bilas did in that interview was nothing short of a UConn promo.

Reaction Score
Deserves every opportunity he gets. Still very young with a lot of upside.
Congratulations and thanks for the memories Donavan Clingan!

Reaction Score
I can’t wait to see the workout clip where he hits 10 threes in a row and people really start to see how special this kid is

Reaction Score
Wishing DC nothing but the best. I saw on FB that someone said they lost respect for Clingan since he was leaving. What a selfish take. Donovan represented the state and university well and needs to make the next step. I am looking forward to his days in the NBA. Thanks for the great memories and attitude.

Reaction Score
There was definitely some of that, but there was also a group of people saying things like his post offense isn't good enough or his shooting would make him a second rounder
That's a braindead take. I must either have them blocked literally or have decided to just scroll past their posts long ago because they are worthless.

Reaction Score
Jumble of emotions. The one that rises up is pride. Thanks, Donovan, for staying true to yourself during the journey and helping to cement Storrs as the basketball capital of the world.

Reaction Score
Wishing DC nothing but the best. I saw on FB that someone said they lost respect for Clingan since he was leaving. What a selfish take. Donovan represented the state and university well and needs to make the next step. I am looking forward to his days in the NBA. Thanks for the great memories and attitude.
There is no collection of dumber takes than a FB comment section when someone declares early for the draft. Just wait until Castle goes!

Reaction Score
100%.Super agree.

If Donovan had stayed another year, he could have worked on getting down to 6’10” to increase his agility and lateral movement to guard massive centers without fouling. Now he will be stuck at 7’2”.

Reaction Score
We have had some amazing shot blockers like Donyell, Emeka, Thabeet, the best in the country when they played. But what Clingan did on the biggest of stages against NW and Illinois is completely dominate the interior like no other. Those 2 games will be remembered for years.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
100%.Super agree.

If Donovan had stayed another year, he could have worked on getting down to 6’10” to increase his agility and lateral movement to guard massive centers without fouling. Now he will be stuck at 7’2”.
I think he's far from reaching his ceiling, which is really a big compliment. From his limited playing time earlier last season to recovering from a foot injury and improving his conditioning, it feels like Donovan was just hitting his stride, which is why perhaps the selfish part of me was wishing he'd give us just one more year. I am looking forward to seeing his next chapter in the NBA.

That said, I am grateful for him choosing UConn and for representing the state in such a way that we are all proud of him for what he has accomplished, his humble attitude and enthusiasm, and for how he has used hardship and setbacks as motivation to excel.

Congratulations and thank you, Cling Kong!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom