Chong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
'If that was an NCAA tournament game, would you have played?'

I chuckled when I read this because that was exactly what went through my mind when I read the Horde reports on what happened. So it's the NCAA tournament and your tummy hurts???? :rolleyes:

I think Saniya is in for a rough couple of practices.

Reaction Score
Geno is the coach and she was sick......I am sure it will come out that he was right, but still pissed off..........

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chong did wrong. She was needed if even just to catch a ball and pass it along. team mates needed rest.

She won't do that again.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Uh yeah. "Coach, I just got thwacked in the head and I think I may have a concussion" ...... "What, the bleep, get in there and tough it out! Do I have to pull a Patton on you?"......... "Uh, coach, I'm getting the flu, can't see straight, and I'm spewing phlegm every which way."......."What the bleep, get out there and throw some passes and get some phlegm on the other team before they head to the locker room for the second half."

I'm sorry. Yes, freshman sometimes want to be part of the action so much that they don't want to let on what state they're in until way too late. And yes, all of us could drag ourselves out on the court in a miserable state and give a miserable performance so the coach can say afterward, "She wasn't on her game, but she showed me she has guts."

As we know sometimes Geno is a *&%%4###*!! to provide a lesson to a player that she needs to be tough enough when a big game rolls around in her next three years, but we can all still recognize when Geno is being a ^%##%@**!%%*. And years from now after a great WNBA career, Saniya will be saying I really understood what it takes to be a NCAA champion and WNBA player when he barked at me about that USF game after I putzed out when I was stupid and got the flu.

From a few threads on here, it appears that Saniya was sick. But I'm not sure this is confirmed yet.

Reaction Score
Dobbs... I think Geno just wanted to know BEFORE they tipped the ball off

May be she felt like she could go before the game, and whatever she had got worse by that time
(stomach hurts for example) and she could not go. By all account from reading about Saniya
on this board, she does not seem like she would be that stupid to pull something like. I just think
we don't know all the facts and I do agree with Dobbs that Geno can be an *@^@$*&!# at times.
Watch the postgame presser, at the 11:02 mark the way he talks about UConn defense in general
after a miss shot is a slap in the face to the effort by the players, unnecessarily.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am one to give a person the benefit of the doubt, and from what I have seen of Chong she loves to be on the court and compete. I suspect that if she said that she didn't feel well that she truly did not feel well. Maybe she should have given some warning earlier and Geno could have asked if she felt like she could go in instead of calling her name to be informed at that time. But she is young and maybe she just wasn't confortable saying anything and was hoping that she would feel better before she was called on to go in.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chong did wrong. She was needed if even just to catch a ball and pass it along. team mates needed rest.

She won't do that again.

You don't want a young girl out there who may be about to puke, or worse, onto the court. If she were having intestinal issues it could have been a really embarrassing situation for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dobbs - I think there is a big difference between 'not feeling well' and not being cleared to play. Geno would never question someone when either Rosemary or a doctor had said they weren't fit for action. And as you mention, sometimes don't know enough to speak up early, and I doubt she will make that same mistake again. And yes Geno can be quite harsh in making a point as can most highly successful people.

Reaction Score
Geno seems to have acquired the affliction of many Boneyarders (Tuck, Banks, Chong, etc.): an irresistible compulsion to practice medicine (by providing free and unsolicited -- and unwelcome -- diagnoses of ailments plus prescriptions for threatment thereof) with no formal education, certification or license in this field.
Geez Kib, are you telling us that we now have to go out and get medical degrees?:eek:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also, Chong is a young player who may not know what she can play through or not and how to keep the staff informed and involved. The worst thing that can happen did. Geno went to make a game move only to find out in the heat of battle it was not available.

Geno knows what players have played through in the past to be on the court and contribute. Saniya is still learning. She has had a lesson she will not forget.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not Geno's best moment, as I see it. This type of situation shoud remain in house...say she was sick, and then deal with the rest in private. No need to show her up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When I watched the presser it was actually a much lighter moment from Geno describing the back and forth - with no one actually knowing what was said on the bench, he was obviously not hot and bothered by the time he got to the press room.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Dobbs... I think Geno just wanted to know BEFORE they tipped the ball off
Of course, he wanted all the info ahead of time, and of course she should have told him she had the flu before the game. Generally though, these things happen gradually and at 10:00 you could be at 80% and maybe able to give some effort in a top-level game and then after a shoot-around by 12:15 feeling you need to puke your guts out.

I never understood why so many people have this black-and-white concept about the "Are you sick question?", especially when it relates to extreme situations like playing high level basketball before a national audience. Very often these are developing situations, and when players know that they may be setting all her teammates back with a little t00-close contact in the huddles.

This was not a late-round NCAA tourney game where you are expected to haul yourself out on the court even if you're at 10% and are going to shoot 1-10 for your team. Against an overmatched team like USF in January Chong just owed her team an earlier alert and not a drag-yourself-out-there act which might lead to a long-term injury that everyone would then be screaming bloody murder about, or a spread-the-unhealth action that could leave the players on both teams in bed for the next week.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
When I watched the presser it was actually a much lighter moment from Geno describing the back and forth - with no one actually knowing what was said on the bench, he was obviously not hot and bothered by the time he got to the press room.
Ah, well we know Geno's comments often lose a lot in translation and context by the time they get set in print. So maybe he was just having a little fun with his freshman? I hope that was the case.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your eye witness witless speculations...
That's better.

This is one of the reasons that I sometimes find messaging on the board unpleasant. I wish some members would refrain from insults. So I gave my opinion and I was probably incorrect but it was just an opinion. BTW were you at the game?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
This is one of the reasons that I sometimes find messaging on the board unpleasant. I wish some members would refrain from insults. So I gave my opinion and I was probably incorrect but it was just an opinion. BTW were you at the game?

I was at the game...the problem with your opine is the total lack of evidence upon which it was based...it's enough that Chong was ill... it's enough she got publically called out on the situation, and certainly it is more than enough w/o groundless speculation on practice performance. As I said in another thread, I wish Geno would handle this stuff in house.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chong wears knee pads because her HS coach had all his players wear them...no excuse for not getting on the floor!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
as the game played or even during one of the timeouts she couldve mentioned something to CD, Shea or Marissa!

lesson learned I guess

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You don't want a young girl out there who may be about to puke, or worse, onto the court. If she were having intestinal issues it could have been a really embarrassing situation for her.

So you don't think she wasn't embarassed sitting on the bench for the entire game, watching Tierney and Polly get to play with several thousand people watching her sit glumly while she never even took off her warmups?:rolleyes:

Think she is now determined to never be similarly publicly humiliated again?

Bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01