Chong | The Boneyard

Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love the way she moves on the court with the kneepads on... one of those players you dont want guarding you on the playground cause she's gonna be all over you like a cheap suit.

her handle and the way she runs just reeks of a gym rat... go SANIYAAAAAAAAA

Reaction Score
It'll be fun to watch Chong and Jefferson playing along side of each other a lot more next season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she seems soooo old-school... straight face baller who's looking to win

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
she seems soooo old-school... straight face baller who's looking to win
They didn't overlap here at Uconn, but she seems to inherited the Stoneface award from Kelly who owned it for 4 great years. Like Kelly she has a great smile, but basketball is serious business and don't you forget it!

HGN

Reaction Score
She does look kinda cool with those knee pads....And she moves so smooth. Sort of deceptively fast. Not herky-jerky or sudden. Just smooth and cool.

Reaction Score
Despite it not showing up in the box score, I thought she played quite well last game.

Reaction Score
She does look kinda cool with those knee pads....And she moves so smooth. Sort of deceptively fast. Not herky-jerky or sudden. Just smooth and cool.
I think you're on to something. Who expects a kid wearing knee pads to be fast??

Reaction Score
I also heard the excuse that Chong was sick (from CD on the radio). I doubt its veracity. From where I was sitting (sec.114, row N), it looked like Geno was giving Saniya a tongue lashing just before the start of the second half.. My feeling is that she didn't perform well in practice thus she rode the bench. BTW, I also believe she is wonderful player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also heard the excuse that Chong was sick (from CD on the radio). I doubt its veracity.
Geno and CD have never been afraid to let people know if a player hasn't performed in practice that's why they didn't play in the game. If they say she's under the weather, she's under the weather.

Reaction Score
If Geno was speaking sharply to Saniya, I would imagine that it was because she
waited until he tried to put her in before telling him she didn't feel well, rather
than telling him before the game began.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I suspect he was ticked at the way it all went down... This from Rich Elliot:

Freshman guard Saniya Chong did not play in today’s 81-53 win over South Florida due to illness. The illness came as a surprise to UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who was unaware that she was sick until after the game had begun.

“She told me on the bench,’’ Auriemma said “I was just getting ready to put her in and she said, `I don’t feel good.’ I said, `I don’t either, but I’m here.’ I said if I only showed up when I felt good I’d be here like twice a month. She said, `My head hurts. My stomach hurts. My eyes hurt.’ I said, `We’re even. So how about you just go out there and play.’’’

Reaction Score
Geno and CD have never been afraid to let people know if a player hasn't performed in practice that's why they didn't play in the game. If they say she's under the weather, she's under the weather.
Agree, we don't have to start making stuff up.

Reaction Score
Yes, Geno was upset with her. She's a freshman. Now she knows what is
expected of her if this situation arises again.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Freshman guard Saniya Chong did not play in today’s 81-53 win over South Florida due to illness. The illness came as a surprise to UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who was unaware that she was sick until after the game had begun.

“She told me on the bench,’’ Auriemma said “I was just getting ready to put her in and she said, `I don’t feel good.’ I said, `I don’t either, but I’m here.’ I said if I only showed up when I felt good I’d be here like twice a month. She said, `My head hurts. My stomach hurts. My eyes hurt.’ I said, `We’re even. So how about you just go out there and play.’’’

Geno seems to have acquired the affliction of many Boneyarders (Tuck, Banks, Chong, etc.): an irresistible compulsion to practice medicine (by providing free and unsolicited -- and unwelcome -- diagnoses of ailments plus prescriptions for threatment thereof) with no formal education, certification or license in this field.

HGN

Reaction Score
I suspect he was ticked at the way it all went down... This from Rich Elliot:

Wow......Please get 'well' soon Saniya.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Somehow Saniya's predicament today tickles me. Until now I have seen her as an ice machine. My God, she's human! Silly me. I would think before every game an assistant coach would have to do a walk around check on readiness. I'm having fun constructing the Geno/Saniya conversation when he attempted to sub her in. I have several different versions, but they all end the same with Geno saying: "I'm getting too old for this #@%$!"

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Remember Dolson didn't play last year against St John's because she was sick. Geno was disappointed in Stef and let her know about it. This is what Geno later said about that:

"There was a game earlier this year at St. John's where she was sick and she didn't play. I remember asking her after the game, 'If that was an NCAA tournament game, would you have played?' I always ask that question because, if the doctors or medical staff tells you you can't play, then you have no control over that. 'Everything else is up to you.' I think as you get older, in our program at least anyway, you tend to make those decisions fairly easily. ... I think we have the kind of program, we have the kind of players that if you leave it up to them, they're going to play. I think Stefanie has grown into that role.''

Saniya is young and hopefully learned a lesson today. If not, she'll learn it because she'll be reminded of it. With Morgan out and Banks not able to play, the team was down to 7 scholarship players. That became 6 after one told the coach she was too sick to play. Wow.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I also heard the excuse that Chong was sick (from CD on the radio). I doubt its veracity. From where I was sitting (sec.114, row N), it looked like Geno was giving Saniya a tongue lashing just before the start of the second half.. My feeling is that she didn't perform well in practice thus she rode the bench. BTW, I also believe she is wonderful player.

Thanks for your eye witness speculations...

Reaction Score
Ah, youth: telling the coach she's sick right before he puts her in. That's the sort of lesson that one needs to learn only once.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if Geno sits her for a long time against Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom