Chicago Sun-Times: Big10 Will Add 15 & 16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sun-Times: Big10 Will Add 15 & 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
while this article is far from a sure invite to the BIG 10 it's a h.e.l.l of a lot better than some random guy tweeting things. Same with the something big in next 60 days from someone who just met with Delaney.

You might want to venture over to the Non Key Tweets thread. Looks like our favorite tweeter as been talking to HFD. :cool:

Reaction Score
You might want to venture over to the Non Key Tweets thread. Looks like our favorite tweeter as been talking to HFD. :cool:
haha I saw that. I don't know who the hell these "sources" are, but I'm sure they are all lying to him to he is straight up fabricating things. That said, he might eventually be correct :)

Reaction Score
Folks, Gould has been a beat writer and columnist for the Sun Times for over 35 years. He's got a ton of contacts and is a very well respected member of the USBWA.

If he's saying the Big Ten is going to 15 & 16 so matter-of-factly, I have a good hunch he's not opining it but rather echoing information gleaned from someone he trusts greatly. This isn't "The Dude of some uknown Twitter account" speaking. It's a guy who's made a living at this for nearly four decades.

I've heard a lot of chatter picking back up about this in Big Ten circles. If Gould is saying this, my hunch is it's for good reason.

Reaction Score
Folks, Gould has been a beat writer and columnist for the Sun Times for over 35 years. He's got a ton of contacts and is a very well respected member of the USBWA.

If he's saying the Big Ten is going to 15 & 16 so matter-of-factly, I have a good hunch he's not opining it but rather echoing information gleaned from someone he trusts greatly. This isn't "The Dude of some uknown Twitter account" speaking. It's a guy who's made a living at this for nearly four decades.

I've heard a lot of chatter picking back up about this in Big Ten circles. If Gould is saying this, my hunch is it's for good reason.

Gould makes his point but it's clearly an opinion on his part. It is favorable because of who he is compared to all of the other crap out there. But I'm still waiting for Teddy G from Chicago Trib to write something. Then I will be all in. When he writes something about expansion and mentions UConn it means Lucy isn't pulling the ball up at the last second.

Reaction Score
Ok let's start some predictions as to how many pages this thread will be. There it is in print....15 and 16.....we gotta keep making that push to be one of them. Start buying football and basketball season tickets if you haven't done so already
I'm thinking of the Hockey package at the XL!

Reaction Score
Remember this from last year:

July 31, 2013

Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.

Dennis Dodd

CBSSports.com

Reaction Score
I'm relatively new to the board, although I've been following conversations here related to conference realignment for a while. Is anyone concerned about Navy potentially sliding in ahead of UConn for a spot? I feel like the ACC may have an eye on them, but haven't heard anything recently or in conjunction with the B1G?

Reaction Score

You would mind linking a bit of that chatter if you could? I'm curious to read the tea leaves myself.

Reaction Score
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/49743645/Big-Ten-Expanding-Eastward.aspx

"The Big Ten just announced that they will be moving the B1G title game to Washington D.C. for Basketball. Commisioner Delaney made it clear the B1G has plans to move East. I thought this statement From Jim Delaney was striking when asked about the subject. "We're trying to live here. We're not visiting," Delany said of New York. "Our goal is to bind the two regions together. We want to be in the two regions and live in the two regions". Does this smell of further expansion? I think that UConn will be a member of the B1G sooner rather than later. It sounds to me like Delaney wants the New England market to be B1G country. "

Some debate on Tigerdroppings over UConn as a potential new B1G member.....

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd think that it would open up
a spot somewhere unless they added 2 PAC schools or 2 G5 schools. I would officially give up on CR if the B1G added 2 G5 schools and we weren't one of them.

Reaction Score
So even if we are not one of the two additions, you have to figure that opens up a spot for us somewhere, right? RIGHT?

It would give us a better chance than if nothing happened . . .

Reaction Score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news by Delany said this just yesterday:

Q: What would it take for the Big Ten to expand again? What would you need to gain in order to be interested in expanding again?

A: If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. … I think everybody is just trying to take what's occurred, live it, make it solid and it's very hard in the environment we're in over the next five-to-seven years, to see more change.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ioner-jim-delany-question-and-answer/8774193/

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Q: What would it take for the Big Ten to expand again? What would you need to gain in order to be interested in expanding again?

A: If you're thinking of building a conference and keeping tradition alive, building fan bases and natural rivalries, movement beyond where we are probably needs to be looked at in a very suspicious kind of way. You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. … I think everybody is just trying to take what's occurred, live it, make it solid and it's very hard in the environment we're in over the next five-to-seven years, to see more change.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ioner-jim-delany-question-and-answer/8774193/

That sly son-o-a-bit@h.

Reaction Score

He's obviously not going to even hint at anything he's doing behind the scenes in a public interview. It's obvious that there have been talks between him and UConn due to everything that UConn is doing to improve their BIG profile.

Reaction Score

This quote doesn't make sense. If you dilute yourself the larger you get, why have they expanded, twice recently? To dilute the product?

He sounds like a police officer standing outside a burning building telling on-lookers "Move along, nothing to see here."

He's not going to tip his hand. He's probably telling Swofford he's got 5-7 years to act, because in reality he has a move planned in the next 2-4 years.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@HerbGould: Opinion. But UConn worth a look. RT @The_Sad_Gnome: .@HerbGould B1G to 16, opinion or insider info? UConn? http://post original url/0He9N43BPV

Reaction Score

You dilute yourself the larger you get. … I don't know what would have to happen. …

Since he’s already given UConn the secret handshake, he sees no need to expand beyond that. Sounds good in my head at least.

Reaction Score
Yea it could be that he's working behind the scenes on something or maybe it might just be slightly more likely he actually doesn't want any more realignment and he's justifying it poorly given that the big ten had several limbs in the realignment cookie jar. You know like when you break up with someone cause you need time to be alone but somehow end up in a new relationship the next week, poor excuse to make yourself not look like a .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In regards to the link in the original post, it is just a writer's opinion, and I am pretty sure he isn't thinking about us as 15 or 16 if he is talking about 4 16-team conferences. This feels almost like a perfunctory expansion column because he feels like he has to write one.

As it relates to Delaney's comments yesterday, there were leaks coming up in the months leading up to the addition of Rutgers that the Big 10 had looked hard at Rutgers and determined that the school was not valuable enough. There were certainly no comments from Delaney indicating that expansion was imminent or even being considered. I am not an optimist about the Big 10 adding UConn, but if they do, we are not going to find out from an interview Delaney gives to the USA Today.

I remain convinced that either the Big 10 or ACC needs to emerge victorious in the Battle for New York for the loser to add UConn. The one thing that neither league can afford is to cede New York.

Reaction Score
Well you're half-right. He says opinion but also mentioned in his tweet that UConn is worth a look at one of the two spots.

Reaction Score
If you take the last handful of months into consideration and look beyond the echo chamber of the Boneyard and the steady small stream of announcements by UConn that at the least look like they are intended to get us in the Big 10 conversation. We’ve now had articles and tweets out of Big 10 country starting to ask the question about UConn. We have 2 Big 10 schools adding us to their football schedule in the last month. There may be an invitation soon or in a year or 2 or never. But the one thing that seems more and more obvious is that the ground is being prepared to take UConn to the Big 10 not only in CT but in the Midwest. Now you can prepare the soil and never plant the seed, but Delany would never plant the seed without first preparing the garden.

Reaction Score
I'm half-way done with the American Revolution series on the American History Channel.

The last hour long segment I watched showed the British repeatedly trying to come down from Canada by way of the Hudson in order to splinter off New England from NY and the rest of the colonies while attempting to deal a fatal blow to the rebellion. General Begoyne was rebuffed and ultimately had to surrender in embarassing fashion to General Gates.

If Begoyne's mission is any indication, than I suggest Delany learn from the mistakes of the British. Try to cut off New England and you ultimately lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom