Chart (markets)....UConn well positioned in comparison to G5 others | The Boneyard

Chart (markets)....UConn well positioned in comparison to G5 others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Of the schools in the list, we have the largest TV market that is not shared with a current (or prospective) P5 school. Probably not new news, but hopefully someone in the B1G (preferably) or ACC has taken notice of this and added it to our resume. Unfortunately we need some other dominos to start falling to get the CR bus moving again.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You can probably add Boston (7) to UCONN's market reach. We certainly have more presence in NYC because of our Big East roots, but if we played a game in Boston, there would be a VERY LARGE UCONN contingency in attendance too. Boston considers themselves as the hub of New England and reports UCONN news as such.

pj

Reaction Score
This list underestimates UConn's market size and overestimates everyone else. The reality is that all of Connecticut is essentially UConn's metro market, it is so close, while the equivalent of a "state" market would reach into New York City and Boston. UConn gets far more penetration in NYC than Buffalo, yet Buffalo's "state population" is listed at 19.7 million, UConn's at 3.6 million.

The other major point, the absence of in-market competition for UConn -- in Connecticut only out-of-state pro teams rival UConn, but none match it; while out of state UConn is an even match for BC in Boston and with Syracuse and Rutgers in NYC. Every other program in the G5 has intense in-market competition (eg Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU) or is in a small market.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if we did have a comparison of teams and how they did versus each other in both the NYC and Boston markets. We keep making the claim that we own a portion of it (which I believe is true) but it would be nice to see how it stacks up versus national powers like Duke and teams in that local market like BC.

Reaction Score
On the plus side, UConn adds the biggest market not currently in a P5. Also on the plus side, UConn adds the best all around sports program not in a P5. A plus for the B1G in terms of Delany's vision for the B1G, UConn is East Coast and has a regional tie in to New York City. Big points Delany always makes in speeches concerning the addition of Rutgers (and Maryland).

On the minus side, while UConn's market is large and while its close to NYC, its not a market that is strong in football recruiting. Will the B1G add a weaker football program that does not have a strong recruiting market to bring top recruits into the conference? I don't know. It has not been done before up to this point. So far, expansion has included Penn State (strong football/strong markets/recruiting territory carrying all of PA), Nebraska (strong football, but small markets with few recruits), Maryland (weak football but strong markets and strong recruiting territory) and Rutgers (weak football but strong markets and strong recruiting territory). There has yet to be an addition of weak football/weak recruiting territory. That's the one point where I'm on the fence in terms of the B1G adding UConn. I'm personally in favor of it, but I don't know if that combination would be seen favorably in the eyes of the conference. That's why I think #16 would need to be a school that could address the shortcomings from adding UConn and that school could have shortcomings that UConn can help overcome to balance things out. This is why it's hard for me to grasp a UConn/Kansas addition because that does nothing for new football recruiting territory.

There also has been no indication that the B1G would add someone that is not AAU, with the exception of Notre Dame. I'm not saying it would never happen, there just has never been any indication it would happen outside of the Irish.

Another big thing pushed by the B1G talking heads is contiguous states. Technically, UConn would break this pattern since it does not boarder New Jersey, although I know they are very close to each other, only separated by NYC more or less. For that reason, I'm not sure how much that would come into play. It's really not a great distance and is more a technicality than anything.

What is the shortest distance from the CT boarder to the NJ boarder?

Reaction Score

Greenwich, CT to the NJ border can't be much more than 30-45 minutes (obviously depending on the traffic going into the city)

Reaction Score
2nu7p7c.jpg

Reaction Score
The other major point, the absence of in-market competition for UConn -- in Connecticut only out-of-state pro teams rival UConn, but none match it; while out of state UConn is an even match for BC in Boston and with Syracuse and Rutgers in NYC.
In what sports does Uconn match those teams for TV ratings? BB? Probably during the tournaments and key national games but in FB? Unlikely, because if that statement was even close to being remotely true, then Uconn would be in the ACC at the very least. The truth is that Uconn's primary market is CT not NYC and not Boston. The NYC market is a B1G and ND market. And like it or not, BC is in Boston and they get ratings there. As does ND.

Reaction Score
In what sports does Uconn match those teams for TV ratings? BB? Probably during the tournaments and key national games but in FB? Unlikely, because if that statement was even close to being remotely true, then Uconn would be in the ACC at the very least. The truth is that Uconn's primary market is CT not NYC and not Boston. The NYC market is a B1G and ND market. And like it or not, BC is in Boston and they get ratings there. As does ND.

I'm just going to repost my post again. Everyone on this board has a different opinion about Boston. Some say BC, some say Uconn, some say both but no one has any evidence. Like or not, show me the numbers in either direction and I'll be satisfied. If we had a close enough apples to apples, then we could make some generalization. What's a BC v Duke game get in Boston versus a Uconn v Lousiville game on saturday night in December.

"It would be nice if we did have a comparison of teams and how they did versus each other in both the NYC and Boston markets. We keep making the claim that we own a portion of it (which I believe is true) but it would be nice to see how it stacks up versus national powers like Duke and teams in that local market like BC."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm just going to repost my post again. Everyone on this board has a different opinion about Boston. Some say BC, some say Uconn, some say both but no one has any evidence. Like or not, show me the numbers in either direction and I'll be satisfied. If we had a close enough apples to apples, then we could make some generalization. What's a BC v Duke game get in Boston versus a Uconn v Lousiville game on saturday night in December.

"It would be nice if we did have a comparison of teams and how they did versus each other in both the NYC and Boston markets. We keep making the claim that we own a portion of it (which I believe is true) but it would be nice to see how it stacks up versus national powers like Duke and teams in that local market like BC."

I seriously can't name the TV station that shows all of BC's FB games. Is there one? Are most games web only? They mostly don't make the ESPN networks.

pj

Reaction Score

Basketball, yes. In football, not yet, but if we were in the B1G, we'd do it in football too. UConn football in the AAC is not a draw in NYC or Boston.

Disagree that NYC is B1G and ND. It is fractured about evenly between Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan; but all of those allegiances are small and shallow. There is a lot of room for growth.

The B1G is in the strongest position, especially after the Rutgers add, but a UConn add gives it twice as many games in the metro area and another piece. It gets it closer to critical mass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I seriously can't name the TV station that shows all of BC's FB games. Is there one? Are most games web only? They mostly don't make the ESPN networks.

ESPNNews

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
BC doesn't have any local TV. If they're not on ESPN or ABC regional telecasts, they're on ESPN3.

Currently, only the Pitt game on Friday evening and the USC game are scheduled to appear on ESPN or ABC. http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/bc-m-footbl-sched.html
Of course you know that ESPN/ABC/Mickey Mouse has not announced many games post September 20. If games are on the ACC/Raycom network, the local Boston station was 56 or 38 I think.

Reaction Score
Of course you know that ESPN/ABC/Mickey Mouse has not announced many games post September 20. If games are on the ACC/Raycom network, the local Boston station was 56 or 38 I think.

It is Ch. 38 in Boston (NESN) that carries the ACC Regional Network. You are also correct that you cannot yet see what outlets will over what games for the upcoming season as the schedule is not yet complete.

You can look at who covered BC last year, however. All of the games not on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 (and the Pac12 Network for the USC game) were covered on Ch. 38 (with the exception of the 3 "schedule padder" teams - Villanova, Army, and New Mexico State). The lineup was as follows:

Villanova: ESPNews
Wake Forest: ESPN2
USC: Pac12 Network
FSU: ABC/ESPN2
Army: ESPN3
Clemson: ABC/ESPN2
UNC: ACC Regional Network (Ch. 38 NESN)
VT: ABC/ESPN2
N. Mex. St.: ESPN3
NC State: ACC Regional Network (Ch. 38 NESN)
UMD: ACC Regional Network (Ch. 38 NESN)
Syracuse: ACC Regional Network. (Ch. 38 NESN)
Arizona (Bowl) ESPN

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gee thanks. Last years TV coverage for BC is of real interest on this board. You in that much need of attention?

Reaction Score
Gee thanks. Last years TV coverage for BC is of real interest on this board. You in that much need of attention?

It gives you an idea of how much and on which network BC was carried...and thus might be carried...

Facts beat uninformed mumbling.....I found that it shed some light on the BC television possibilities...

Reaction Score
This list underestimates UConn's market size and overestimates everyone else. The reality is that all of Connecticut is essentially UConn's metro market, it is so close, while the equivalent of a "state" market would reach into New York City and Boston. UConn gets far more penetration in NYC than Buffalo, yet Buffalo's "state population" is listed at 19.7 million, UConn's at 3.6 million.

The other major point, the absence of in-market competition for UConn -- in Connecticut only out-of-state pro teams rival UConn, but none match it; while out of state UConn is an even match for BC in Boston and with Syracuse and Rutgers in NYC. Every other program in the G5 has intense in-market competition (eg Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU) or is in a small market.

There are probably 28 legitimate schools that can vie for a P5 spot. Of the 28, 13 schools technically have a larger TV market than UConn: Army (#1-nat'l), Temple (#4), SMU (#5), SJSU (#6), Navy (#9-nat'l), Rice (#10), Houston (#10), USF (#13), CSU (#18), AFA (#18-nat'l), UCF (#19), ECU (#27) and SDSU (#28). But when you consider that NY is within the UConn market, that puts UConn #1. However, UConn does share the NYC market with SU and RU. But only 3 of the 28 schools vying for P5 membership used to be in a P5 conference.... UConn, Cincinnati and USF. So when you stand back and look at the big picture with the 28 schools, UConn has the most desirable property via fan base, national championships, recognizable name, etc.

And whoever grabs UConn (B1G or ACC) will likely claim NYC as theirs in earnest.

Reaction Score

Not at all. A poster above asked for information about what outlets in Boston covered BC. I simply provided it. That's all.

Reaction Score
On the plus side, UConn adds the biggest market not currently in a P5. Also on the plus side, UConn adds the best all around sports program not in a P5. A plus for the B1G in terms of Delany's vision for the B1G, UConn is East Coast and has a regional tie in to New York City. Big points Delany always makes in speeches concerning the addition of Rutgers (and Maryland).

On the minus side, while UConn's market is large and while its close to NYC, its not a market that is strong in football recruiting. Will the B1G add a weaker football program that does not have a strong recruiting market to bring top recruits into the conference? I don't know. It has not been done before up to this point. So far, expansion has included Penn State (strong football/strong markets/recruiting territory carrying all of PA), Nebraska (strong football, but small markets with few recruits), Maryland (weak football but strong markets and strong recruiting territory) and Rutgers (weak football but strong markets and strong recruiting territory). There has yet to be an addition of weak football/weak recruiting territory. That's the one point where I'm on the fence in terms of the B1G adding UConn. I'm personally in favor of it, but I don't know if that combination would be seen favorably in the eyes of the conference. That's why I think #16 would need to be a school that could address the shortcomings from adding UConn and that school could have shortcomings that UConn can help overcome to balance things out. This is why it's hard for me to grasp a UConn/Kansas addition because that does nothing for new football recruiting territory.

There also has been no indication that the B1G would add someone that is not AAU, with the exception of Notre Dame. I'm not saying it would never happen, there just has never been any indication it would happen outside of the Irish.

Another big thing pushed by the B1G talking heads is contiguous states. Technically, UConn would break this pattern since it does not boarder New Jersey, although I know they are very close to each other, only separated by NYC more or less. For that reason, I'm not sure how much that would come into play. It's really not a great distance and is more a technicality than anything.

Not to nitpick, but boarder? I think you mean border. As I have previously stated, with B1G office now in NY, CT is now contiguous.

Reaction Score
From a Marketing perspective ,Fairfield,Litchfield,and Western New Haven County's have been part of the Tri-State area for as long as I can remember.
That would include,NYC,LI,bout six suburban counties north of the city ,and pretty much the northern third of New Jersey.
That's probably half the population of Connecticut

Reaction Score
We are definitely somewhat concrete in mid-state Mass.

Can't believe we beat out UMass-Amherst for their own turf. Our poor, long-suffering UMass-Amherst friends are not even on this list. We're sitting pretty. Should be an interesting battle for us between the ACC and B1G. Nice to see we are tied to NYC in the public eye. I do agree Boston should be included. We're on the path to becoming THE public school of New England. We're already #1 in the region, which is quite a feat given Massachusetts' population and money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman