Chart (markets)....UConn well positioned in comparison to G5 others | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chart (markets)....UConn well positioned in comparison to G5 others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm just going to repost my post again. Everyone on this board has a different opinion about Boston. Some say BC, some say Uconn, some say both but no one has any evidence. Like or not, show me the numbers in either direction and I'll be satisfied. If we had a close enough apples to apples, then we could make some generalization. What's a BC v Duke game get in Boston versus a Uconn v Lousiville game on saturday night in December.

"It would be nice if we did have a comparison of teams and how they did versus each other in both the NYC and Boston markets. We keep making the claim that we own a portion of it (which I believe is true) but it would be nice to see how it stacks up versus national powers like Duke and teams in that local market like BC."
There are no apples to apples comparisons that I can find on line since the powers that control TV rights would never put the 2 against each other at the same time. That only happens when they are on ESPN3/local cable. And I cn't find local ratings on line.

There are two links for football ratings that I could find for 2013 -
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Both are national ratings. The first has been posted before and the second is actually week by week. Uconn had huge ratings against Michigan (3.5) but not so great in the Lville, Cinci and RU games (0.0 to 1.04). BC had 3 games (FSU, VT and Clemson) with 1.9 to 2.4 ratings with the Clemson game being the highest and a fourth against Wake that was a 0.8. If BC-Wake is comparable to say Uconn-Cinci, then BC wins with a 0.8 versus a 0.0 although that BC game was a Friday night. Uconn's Friday night game against Lville was 0.7. So on a national ratings basis, with an ordinary opponent in the same time slot, they are about equal if you use those two games as comparable, although I believe Lville is bigger draw than Wake.

Uconn's problem is the lack of really attractive in conference opponents at this point. The BYU game will do well but not so sure about the other scheduled games. BC will have Clemson, FSU, Cuse and VT on their schedule in conference every year. Uconn will have UCF, USF, Memphis and Cinci. On a regional/NYC/Boston scope, I think I know which games draw more eyes just based on school name.

Reaction Score
There's an interesting picture of a MAP with all Football fanbases "claiming" territory ... it's posted on our recruit William Richardson's twitter account. UConn has CT and stretches to NYC & NJ. BC has all the Northern NE; but, I agree with Fishy ... in reality, BC is a few blocks in ONE zip code. There's not loyalty in Shrewsbury, MA let alone Bangor, ME, West Lebanon, NH or Waterville, VT. I would suggest that UConn can claim the bulk of NE with more work ... and BC never could.

But that MAP ... and the cartel.

I think it is a damn shame what the P5 are doing. In my view, some Programs ... Boise, San Diego State, Fresno St, UNLV cover far more FANS and HAVE far more value (as portrayed by the Map) than Baylor, Vanderbilt, Wake, BC, Northwestern. That some City programs - Houston, Cincinnati, USF, UCF have far more potential of the NON-P5 than a handful of second tier State Us. (like Iowa State, Mississippi State, Kansas State)

But ... the winner of all Brand & Sports Excellence is UConn. We were a better Market Value than Pitt, SU and BC. The fact that John Swofford chose the more Football traditioned schools just shows that he has his head up his butt.

Reaction Score
Greenwich, CT to the NJ border can't be much more than 30-45 minutes (obviously depending on the traffic going into the city)

I've actually timed this. I made it from Old Greenwich to the middle of the GW Bridge in exactly 25-minutes. Using the Tappanzee Bridge as the Hudson River crossing takes 40-minutes to the "Welcome to New Jersey" sign. Both were accomplished during optimum traffic conditions; very early in the AM, on Mondays.

Reaction Score
I've actually timed this. I made it from Old Greenwich to the middle of the GW Bridge in exactly 25-minutes. Using the Tappanzee Bridge as the Hudson River crossing takes 40-minutes to the "Welcome to New Jersey" sign. Both were accomplished during optimum traffic conditions; very early in the AM, on Mondays.

Wait -- there is such a thing as "optimum traffic conditions" in Fairfield County? Could have fooled me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wait -- there is such a thing as "optimum traffic conditions" in Fairfield County? Could have fooled me.

Sunday morning from 4-5 am if the rapture occurs around 2am.

Reaction Score
I've posted this about Boston before...

Pop into any bar on a Saturday while baseball is still going on and the Sox or playoffs dominate bar televisions. Once November hits, it is a crap shoot as to what is on tv in the afternoon but ND is a given. You will get as many places showing a Bruins or Celtics game as you will a CFB game on a Saturday night.

When you look around the city, you don't see a single program dominating the streets in terms of apparel, not even BC. Last year I was in Boston in the fall for several weekends in a row and saw relatively equal numbers of people in BC, Florida, UConn, Texas, Ohio St, Michigan, Syracuse, UVA, ND (...it goes on) gear. No one school stood out.

No one school dominates the area in terms of football numbers. Basketball? There is a clearer hierarchy. UConn and Syracuse are at the top followed by Ohio State and UNC. Puke is up there too but behind the others.

Reaction Score
I was at a Sox a few weeks ago. It was when the Cubs were in town and there were TONS of Cubs there. Like honestly to the degree Michigan fans were at the Rent. Outside of Cubs and Sox apparel I saw 4 or 5 pieces of UConn gear in my section and outside the stadium and nothing representing any of the schools in Boston/Mass. I had on a UConn hat and got a lot of positive attention for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom