CBSSports.com Preseason Top 25 and 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CBSSports.com Preseason Top 25 and 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Boat was a Sophmore last year folks. He lost a good chunk of his freshman cockpit time to the NCAA shenanigans.

We talk about Bazz. We talk about Deandre's last 7. We talk about Omar's Health, Giff's Summer, Phil vs. Tyler and the freshman.

The game slows down for guards in year 3. What if it slows down for Boat?

caw

Reaction Score
Boat was a Sophmore last year folks. He lost a good chunk of his freshman cockpit time to the NCAA shenanigans.

We talk about Bazz. We talk about Deandre's last 7. We talk about Omar's Health, Giff's Summer, Phil vs. Tyler and the freshman.

The game slows down for guards in year 3. What if it slows down for Boat?

If Boat makes the same leap that Bazz and Walker did, this will be a fantastic season.

Reaction Score
For those who are on the Louisville bandwagon, another classic case of the defending champs being wildly overrated, even after losing their best player.

Russ Smith was/is their best player. Though I agree that the loss of Siva (as well as Dieng) is being overlooked.

Reaction Score
There's a level of cohesion on the team that makes me think it's special. On the other hand there a ton of questions. I'd like for boat to make it a goal to dish 10 assists a game, and expend a lot of focus+energy on defense. This would make him a serious xfactor in the backcourt. We have plenty of offensive firepower, but can we close out key possessions big rebounds ?

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Wow 15 dooks in 2013-14????

Duke had 4 players selected in the first 14 picks in 1999 bro (Brand, Langdon, Avery and Maggette).

I think there is some good chalk no doubt but I'll assume you are pulling yarders legs with this prognostication.

Kentucky certainly has the potential to reach the championship game (I don't think they will) and meet that Duke teams profile but I think hairyhusky above mentioned a concern that has some validity. This year guard depth is imperative unlike any other year due to the new rules. Questions like can Stevie Clark be a serviceable back up for Marcus Smart (aggressive/physical man defender) would seem to carry quite a bit of weight. How will Terrence Samuel fit in when Bazz and Boat are picking up nickel dimer fouls on the perimeter due to the BS new rules???

Kevin is an excellent coach but an inexperienced tournament coach. It will be very interesting to see how personnel is used this year.

Giffey in particular and his minutes should be interesting to follow.

I think there are a few favorites this year on paper.

That 99' Duke squad was the best team ive never seen win it all...

which made it sweeter to witness as a kid, seeing UConn 'shock the world'

nobody has done it better than Calhoun, i hope that mystique rubs off in the Olliewood era

Reaction Score
That 99' Duke squad was the best team ive never seen win it all...

which made it sweeter to witness as a kid, seeing UConn 'shock the world'

nobody has done it better than Calhoun, i hope that mystique rubs off in the Olliewood era

I bet early 90s UNLV, 85 Georgetown and 83 Houston might have something to say about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Boat makes the same leap that Bazz and Walker did, this will be a fantastic season.
Yep, and a gauntlet has been thrown down.
Not a fan of Boatright's game and I want to see the froncourt be more productive first. I'd have UConn around 30th.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
I bet early 90s UNLV, 85 Georgetown and 83 Houston might have something to say about that.

Thats why i said best team ive never seen win it all, the teams you mentioned were before my time... and not even the point of my post !

Reaction Score
I'd give Boatright a little more credit than that. He's shown he could be a huge lift on both ends. I'd just be nervous if Napier isn't in the game and he has to run the point. The ability is there, but his body tends to move faster than his mind does.

He had seven 20-plus point games and scored in double figures 25/30 games. I think the stats alone qualify him as a great scoring option, even if slotted after Napier and Daniels. I'd also love to see how Calhoun's game has progressed. I feel like the "experts" are forgetting about him.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I said all boatright needs to do is score and play good defense because we have an all american point guard. Norlander didn't rank us because he doesn't think boatright is good enough to put us in the top 25. I'm saying that although boatright may be capable of a lot, we don't even need him to do that much in order to be ranked top 20. If he is a good distributor, than I think we are a top 10 team. if the bigs play really well than we are a top 5 team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Considering Facey isn't eligible yet, that ranking seems about right.

Reaction Score
I'd be worried about the frontcourt. Facey is still not cleared as far as I know, and nobody else has shown that much. Every really top team has 2 big games per season. One where they need a guard to hit a shot in a critical moment. Not worried there.And in college basketball you can go a long way on the back of a solid point guard. But the other critical moment is the one where they need a block or a key rebound, usually on the defensive end. Who makes that play for us? I think that's an open question. If somebody steps up, we could be very good. if not we'll be a nice team with a Sweet 16 level ceiling.

Reaction Score
There's a level of cohesion on the team that makes me think it's special. On the other hand there a ton of questions. I'd like for boat to make it a goal to dish 10 assists a game, and expend a lot of focus+energy on defense. This would make him a serious xfactor in the backcourt. We have plenty of offensive firepower, but can we close out key possessions big rebounds ?

10 assists per game is a noble goal, but it also would have led all of college basketball last season by about an assist and a half per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom