CBSSports.com Preseason Top 25 and 1 | The Boneyard

CBSSports.com Preseason Top 25 and 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Norlander also said Kevin Pangos is better than Bazz...

Reaction Score
Norlander isn't the that Sloth and Parrish are but he is clueless. Rothstein's observations have to be taken with a grain of salt because he likes everyone but I like the guy, it's nice to see someone who is so positive about all of these college kids when some of these other guys are always so negative. I also like Andy Katz, he is fair and you can tell he really likes the UConn program and we all like Bilas because let's face it he's the best in the game.

Reaction Score
It's not hard to see why some people are sleeping on UConn. Once the bigs prove that they can somewhat score and keep UConn close in rebounding margin then people will have is ranked higher. As of now I wod have us about 20-25 due to the fact that we are all hoping that the bigs have gotten better. I do believe the will and I think we end up somewhere 10-15.

Reaction Score
I guess Rothstein liked what he saw and then called Jerry Palm huh?

Reaction Score
Norlander is a Uconn fan but goes wayyyyy out of his way to not look like a homer. That's the only reason he didn't rank us

Reaction Score
Uconn was ranked at times in top 25 last year ...everyone is still with us except lil used wolf..we add a few good freshman...we had nothing to play for last year ...rookie year coaching under ollies belt...with all of this i just cant see us in 20-25 range we are as of now a top 15 team and by the time our freshman get minutes under their belts and the nba prospects realise time is coming close we will be a 5-10 team

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
They clearly LOVE the Squid, who chased off his one proven outside shooter and last year's point guard and brings in a very impressive recruiting class. But, if you look closer at the recruiting class and his two returning stars, they are very good size and athleticism but are weak on proven perimeter shooting and ballhandling. The Harrison twins are sold as 6'5" point guards but from the little bit that I saw, although for their size they handle pretty well, neither suggest the second coming of Magic Johnson. I could very well be wrong but I have always believed that superior guard play is the key to NCAA success.

Reaction Score
It's not hard to see why some people are sleeping on UConn. Once the bigs prove that they can somewhat score and keep UConn close in rebounding margin then people will have is ranked higher. As of now I wod have us about 20-25 due to the fact that we are all hoping that the bigs have gotten better. I do believe the will and I think we end up somewhere 10-15.

I agree. The key to the season is to have Olander as the number 9 guy. He should be playing about 8-10 minutes off the bench. If he is playing serious minutes than we are in the 20-25 range.

Reaction Score
15-18 is about where I would put us. We won't outrebound anybody but If rebounding improves enough to a point where opponents don't have an overwhelming advantage we could be a lot better and do some damage in the tourney.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing I saw was the quote: "didn't participate in the post season".

That is our preseason burden. No exposure, no bright stage, little information and a new Coach (i.e. big change at the helm). We are technically starting off with a clean slate or as a somewhat unknown. The bball world hasn't seen the improving DD, or the seasoned leader in Bazz, or the high motor Boat, and the host of other veterans we are stacked with.

All I can say is our team is loaded with an excellent coach. Ranked anywhere in the top 20 is fine with me.

It sort of reminds me of our 1999 scenario but there are now perhaps 15 dooks. Its just time to "shock the world!"

Reaction Score
Uconn was ranked at times in top 25 last year ...everyone is still with us except lil used wolf..we add a few good freshman...we had nothing to play for last year ...rookie year coaching under ollies belt...with all of this i just cant see us in 20-25 range we are as of now a top 15 team and by the time our freshman get minutes under their belts and the nba prospects realise time is coming close we will be a 5-10 team

Agree. Adding the 3 freshman who fill major needs would put us in the 20-25 range. If ANYONE improves from last year (its almost inconceivable that they wouldn't) than we move up from there. I would say ranking us around 15 would be fair for now. I believe for all the factors mentioned throughout the offseason that there is a good chance at being in the top 10 at the end of the season. Top 5 probably not simply because I don't think we will "look" as dominant using the eyeball test as some teams with dominant big men. Still I think a 2 or 3 seed is the most likely outcome for us as long as there aren't major injuries.

Reaction Score
Agree. Adding the 3 freshman who fill major needs would put us in the 20-25 range. If ANYONE improves from last year (its almost inconceivable that they wouldn't) than we move up from there. I would say ranking us around 15 would be fair for now. I believe for all the factors mentioned throughout the offseason that there is a good chance at being in the top 10 at the end of the season. Top 5 probably not simply because I don't think we will "look" as dominant using the eyeball test as some teams with dominant big men. Still I think a 2 or 3 seed is the most likely outcome for us as long as there aren't major injuries.

Injuries.
If not for injuries, UConn is ranked much higher. UConn did win a lot of close games, but conceivably should have won also against G'town and Marquette.
If UConn doesn't have as many injuries this year, it's much higher than 20-25 by virtue of that fact alone.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing I saw was the quote: "didn't participate in the post season".

That is our preseason burden. No exposure, no bright stage, little information and a new Coach (i.e. big change at the helm). We are technically starting off with a clean slate or as a somewhat unknown. The bball world hasn't seen the improving DD, or the seasoned leader in Bazz, or the high motor Boat, and the host of other veterans we are stacked with.

All I can say is our team is loaded with an excellent coach. Ranked anywhere in the top 20 is fine with me.

It sort of reminds me of our 1999 scenario but there are now perhaps 15 dooks. Its just time to "shock the world!"

Wow 15 dooks in 2013-14????

Duke had 4 players selected in the first 14 picks in 1999 bro (Brand, Langdon, Avery and Maggette).

I think there is some good chalk no doubt but I'll assume you are pulling yarders legs with this prognostication.

Kentucky certainly has the potential to reach the championship game (I don't think they will) and meet that Duke teams profile but I think hairyhusky above mentioned a concern that has some validity. This year guard depth is imperative unlike any other year due to the new rules. Questions like can Stevie Clark be a serviceable back up for Marcus Smart (aggressive/physical man defender) would seem to carry quite a bit of weight. How will Terrence Samuel fit in when Bazz and Boat are picking up nickel dimer fouls on the perimeter due to the BS new rules???

Kevin is an excellent coach but an inexperienced tournament coach. It will be very interesting to see how personnel is used this year.

Giffey in particular and his minutes should be interesting to follow.

I think there are a few favorites this year on paper.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
We may have obvious questions about the frontcourt, but we have a lot of answers everywhere else.

We have depth, experience, and quality at the guards and forwards. We have a clear leader and superstar in Napier. And at the position we are weak, we add two long, athletic, and hungry players.

And we have Ollie. Of all the coaches who have had to replace legends, none of them have had the energy, resume, and impressive bearing of Ollie. So much for "you don't want to replace the legend," a convenient excuse for bad hires. Calhoun knew what he was doing, and Warde Manuel should thank him profusely.

We are a top ten team. Believe it.

Reaction Score
Unless we are a top 5 team to start the year- I love being underrated or at the very least over looked. I believe we were ranked 13th in 1999 to start the year and thats about where I see us being this year if we had not been banned from post season play last year.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
If anyone is curious, this is the exchange I had with Norlander where he explains his reasoning.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/389854058800242688

boatright is essentially a 6th man. When Shabazz is out there he is the point guard and runs the offense. all boatright has to do is be pesky on defense and score. if he contributes a lot more than that, than we will have the best back court in the country.

Reaction Score
boatright is essentially a 6th man. When Shabazz is out there he is the point guard and runs the offense. all boatright has to do is be pesky on defense and score. if he contributes a lot more than that, than we will have the best back court in the country.

I'd give Boatright a little more credit than that. He's shown he could be a huge lift on both ends. I'd just be nervous if Napier isn't in the game and he has to run the point. The ability is there, but his body tends to move faster than his mind does.

He had seven 20-plus point games and scored in double figures 25/30 games. I think the stats alone qualify him as a great scoring option, even if slotted after Napier and Daniels. I'd also love to see how Calhoun's game has progressed. I feel like the "experts" are forgetting about him.

Reaction Score
Unless we are a top 5 team to start the year- I love being underrated or at the very least over looked. I believe we were ranked 13th in 1999 to start the year and thats about where I see us being this year if we had not been banned from post season play last year.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!
Dook and UConn were the consensus 1 and 2 ranked teams to start the 1998-1999 season. UConn was loaded with everyone coming back off an elite 8 finish.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/motion/AP?season=1998-1999

UConn was number 1 starting the 1999-2000 season. http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/motion/AP?season=1999-2000

Reaction Score
This team can shoot better than any team we've had since 2004.
They have a lot of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc