Canada v. USA Friday | The Boneyard

Canada v. USA Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Canada is clearly overmatched, as demonstrated in B'port a little while ago (or was it MSG).... anyway, go USA, but I also wish for Kia to have a monster game.

Kia Nurse Vs. UConn Pals As Canada Prepares To Take On Team USA
Don't expect Stewie to take pitty on Kia, or Kia to accept that pitty--both shall do their darndest to stop the other--that's what great players do. I hope Kia has a Pan Am's 2015 game tucked in her belt--that would be super great if Stewie has an equal USA game in her too.

Reaction Score
Dee for the win:

Like the UConn team Auriemma coaches, the U.S. enters each game as a heavy favorite. And like the Huskies, the women's national team is being asked if its dominance is, well, not good for the sport.

Taurasi, in an ESPN.com story, had this to say: "If you don't like watching good basketball, go watch rowing."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Canada is clearly overmatched, as demonstrated in B'port a little while ago (or was it MSG).... anyway, go USA, but I also wish for Kia to have a monster game.

It was at The Webster Bank Arena Jul 29. Team USA beat Canada 83-43. If anyone's memory needs refreshing, the link to the box score of that game is included below.
Nurse played 25 minutes, and did not score. Keeping in mind that she was coming off a recent sports hernia surgery performed just a few days earlier.

The USA will be the most challenging game for team Canada this summer. This will also be the best barometer to date to measure Kia's potential international game production and management. The thought here is "if you can do it against the USA, you can do it against anybody". Again, Canada will be over matched, and will no doubt succumb to the same fate as other Team USA opponents have this week. I too hope that Kia has a monster game that will give her something to build on, and hopefully carry over into the coming season.

Box Score: Women's National Team Showcase Game - USA vs CAN

Reaction Score
I like Nurse and think she's a nice, solid college player. However, she's in way over her head against these cats. The US guards toyed with her in the practice game and I don't see that changing in a real one. I hope she can use this valuable experience to improve her weaknesses and prepare for the coming season where she'll be looked at to be a good, tough leader for a fairly young team.

Reaction Score
The only person able to avoid the destruction of the international game of women's basketball by a team made up of too many Huskies is Kia Nurse.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like Nurse and think she's a nice, solid college player. However, she's in way over her head against these cats. The US guards toyed with her in the practice game and I don't see that changing in a real one. I hope she can use this valuable experience to improve her weaknesses and prepare for the coming season where she'll be looked at to be a good, tough leader for a fairly young team.
US guards, DT particularly, have toyed with everyone not just Kia. Kia is the only Olympic player who will leave these Olympics and go play NCAA basketball for the next two years.
UCONN is better off for that "toying" and I'm sure DT, Sue, & Maya saw what you consider to be toying as actually a way to keep contributing to the UCONN WBB program.

Reaction Score
US guards, DT particularly, have toyed with everyone not just Kia. Kia is the only Olympic player who will leave these Olympics and go play NCAA basketball for the next two years.
UCONN is better off for that "toying" and I'm sure DT, Sue, & Maya saw what you consider to be toying as actually a way to keep contributing to the UCONN WBB program.
I agree with your first line. As for the second, I didn't mean to imply that they were disrespectfully clowning her. Just that they play at a level that allows them to do pretty much whatever they want and one that Nurse just hadn't been exposed to yet. It is a way to contribute to the program and I'm sure the UConn alums probably look at it like that. Like I said, I hope she can utilize the lessons to her advantage.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm biased. I just love this baller's attitude and hustle. To me she has been caught in the middle. Give her another inch and she's a natural small forward. I suspect she could be a great scoring guard if she could just get a little more DT unconsciousness into her shot. Miss one... forget about it. She's a smart baller and can play the one, but she is best at the two ... when she isn't deferring.

Reaction Score
No attack here Bobby but I must politely take umbrage with your assessment here. :) Yourself and others are treating Kia like she has the same surrounding cast as guards on the USA team. This USA team could humble any star that does not come to the court with a lot of help.
Just don't think she is in over her head, only where she belongs to get to the next level. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Leticia Romero will be playing for Florida St. She's a Senior though.

Reaction Score
Canada should be overmatched- on paper. But Canada was supposed to be overmatched in the Pan-American games last summer. But a Kia-led Canada managed to whack a Breanna/Mo-led American team.

I wonder whether Kia isn't just getting much better. Coach Geno stated that Kia had to play with a hernia all last year, but now it's been fixed, she's doing much better.

Hope her physical condition portends a real leader for UConn next year.

In any event, I'm rooting for UConn Kia to have a strong game today.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping that Canada can finish #2 in their pool.....top 4 in each make the quarterfinals.
A 2 seed would enable them to avoid Australia in the quarters. They realistically can beat any of the other teams in the other bracket. Make the semis on August 18. At that point if they play and lose to Australia, would they have a 3rd place game to try and win the bronze...or would both losing teams in the semis simply get a bronze with no 3rd place game????

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But Canada was supposed to be overmatched in the Pan-American games last summer.
Don't see how Canada was supposed to be overmatched in Pan-Am last year. Stewie and Moriah are great but it was our US Collegians who have never played together before playing against Canada's pro + Kia & Fields.
We didn't even send our best collegians either missing (Steven's & Wilson) The games were also played in Canada.

HGN

Reaction Score
Stewie is looking at this game vs Canada and Kia as : PAYBACK TIME. I do not believe that Canada and Kia will be so lucky this time against Stewie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping that Canada can finish #2 in their pool.....top 4 in each make the quarterfinals.
A 2 seed would enable them to avoid Australia in the quarters. They realistically can beat any of the other teams in the other bracket. Make the semis on August 18. At that point if they play and lose to Australia, would they have a 3rd place game to try and win the bronze...or would both losing teams in the semis simply get a bronze with no 3rd place game????
They have a bronze medal game.
And looking at both the PanAm and Fiba America's tournaments from last year is very misleading - the ONLY team that Canada played last summer at this Olympics is Brazil and Brazil in pool A is winless (0-4) - the USA team was college kids playng against the national teams for all the other countries.

Carnac

Reaction Score

UCONN is better off for that "toying" and I'm sure DT, Sue, & Maya saw what you consider to be toying as actually a way to keep contributing to the
UCONN WBB program =
Iron sharpens iron. ;)

Reaction Score
Stewie is looking at this game vs Canada and Kia as : PAYBACK TIME. I do not believe that Canada and Kia will be so lucky this time against Stewie.
It'll help that Stewie will be playing with teammates of a much higher caliber.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Kia's played really well the last two games
Shined against tough Serbia
She'll be fine, though playing against one of the greatest assemblages of all time is tough.
US by 30. but Kia shows good stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are what we are. We're never going to apologize for being that good. We're never going to apologize for setting a standard that other people aspire to achieve. We got a guy in the pool with a USA swim cap on who nobody can beat. And if he wasn't in swimming, there would be a lot of other guys with gold medals. So, it is what it is.

Gotta love Geno.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Canada should be overmatched- on paper. But Canada was supposed to be overmatched in the Pan-American games last summer. But a Kia-led Canada managed to whack a Breanna/Mo-led American team.

I wonder whether Kia isn't just getting much better. Coach Geno stated that Kia had to play with a hernia all last year, but now it's been fixed, she's doing much better.

Hope her physical condition portends a real leader for UConn next year.

In any event, I'm rooting for UConn Kia to have a strong game today.

I would think so. Kia has some latent leadership qualities and abilities, that have been suppressed to date because it was not her time. Geno has had veteran leadership at his disposal the last 25 years or so. I saw Kia as one of the team leaders this coming season anyway. She will be the only player on the roster with national olympic team experience. As we all know, there is no substitute for experience.

I think Geno will count heavily on Kia to be a team leader. She a two year veteran (starter), and because of her Canadian National Team experience. As I suggested in another post, don't be surprised when Geno takes the leash off of Kia this season, and she flourishes.

The focus was on the BIG 3 the last two years. Most of the plays were run for them, and they carried the team. Kia played a supporting role the last two years. Now it's her turn to take center stage and step into the spotlight along with Lou, Gabby and Napheesa.

The hernia has been fixed, and the muzzle will be removed, which means that WCBB will now experience the veracity of her bite. No doubt it's a role she covets, and is more than willing to accept. Kia has been preparing for these next two years all of her life. UConn may not win it all next year, but they are going to be extremely formidable, and will leave a lot of teams scratching their heads in wonderment after the game. It's going to be fun to watch. :) Go Kia, Go Huskies.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given that Australia almost lost to Japan, nothing would surprise me (except for Team USA to lose). I do think Australia is the #2 team, but if anyone can manage to slow Camabage, Australia is really no better than several other teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom