Can RU or Ville get to the BCS title game? | The Boneyard

Can RU or Ville get to the BCS title game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So what would need to happen to get Rutgers or Louisville to the BCS title game?

They probably need about 2 dozen games to break their way. I only looked at it for 20-30 minutes but I can't even really find a realisitic combination of games that gets either to #2.

I'd say they should just root for Florida, Tennessee, Kansas State and Alabama this week. Might get them in front of 4 teams up to about 11-12 in the BCS rankings. Also either ND or Oklahoma is going to lose so they will at least make up some ground on one of them.

2 realistic upsets they should be all over tonight. Arizona over USC and Washington over Oregon State. USC dumping a game to Arizona would be huge.

I don't really see a way they can get even to the top 4 - but if one of them finishes undefeated 5-6 would be in play. Would have been really interesting in a four team playoff this year.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not a shot they make the BCS game. If you aren't ranked in the teens in the pre-season polls and are not in the SEC or maybe B1G, there's no way you can make the bCS title game. There's just too much to climb and any team in the SEC who loses to another SEC team just moves down a few spots because it was "tough" competition. It really goes to show how awful college football is in terms of fairness. It also shows the importance of pre-season polls which is a complete crock, if you ask me. RU or Louisville will take care of their business and not even crack the top 5 BCS standings. It's the reality of life in college football outside of the SEC.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
They would need a ridiculous combination of things to fall into place. If they both are 11-0 in their matchup in the final week they could climb to like 5th and 6th in the standings. Then the winner of that game could jump to say 3rd or 4th and then the teams ahead of them could have conference championship and lose. Long story short the winning team would likely have to be the only remaining undefeated team. It's pretty much the same situation Boise was in all those years when they finished in the top 5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So what would need to happen to get Rutgers or Louisville to the BCS title game?

They probably need about 2 dozen games to brea

Someone would need to provide tickets, hotel accommodations and plane fare. I can see a scenario where a couple of coaches would go to watch this game but I can't see a school sending the entire team (it may also be a violation to spend that much money on a recreational event for student athletes).

Reaction Score
They need to be ranked high in the preseason.

They probably need about 2 dozen games to break their way. I only looked at it for 20-30 minutes but I can't even really find a realisitic combination of games that gets either to #2.

I'd say they should just root for Florida, Tennessee, Kansas State and Alabama this week. Might get them in front of 4 teams up to about 11-12 in the BCS rankings. Also either ND or Oklahoma is going to lose so they will at least make up some ground on one of them.

2 realistic upsets they should be all over tonight. Arizona over USC and Washington over Oregon State. USC dumping a game to Arizona would be huge.

I don't really see a way they can get even to the top 4 - but if one of them finishes undefeated 5-6 would be in play. Would have been really interesting in a four team playoff this year.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Also all those 1 loss teams ahead of them, especially those in the SEC, need to lose another game.

This is all a moot discussion because Alabama won't lose a game and any one of the other 13 teams ahead of them will just win their 4 or 5 remaining games so...no shot.

If Ville or Rutgers goes undefeated I would guess they have a 5% chance of making it. If they were in the ACC/Pac/B1G/BXII/SEC their odds would obviously be significantly higher. And it pains me to include the ACC in that because they also suck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm not sure why the preseason ranking matters that much. Are they better than Bama, Florida, KSU, Notre Dame, Oregon? The preseason ranking is why they aren't high now. But even if they started 10-11 they wouldn't be ahead of any of that top 5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean there is a pretty good chance either KSU or Oregon goes undefeated and doesn't go. Hell ND could go undefeated and be left out.

Reaction Score
Rutgers could have been preseason #1 and I still don't think they'd be any higher than 5th right now. Other teams have much more impressive victories on the field of play to point to.

Reaction Score
Honestly I'm not sure why the preseason ranking matters that much. Are they better than Bama, Florida, KSU, Notre Dame, Oregon? The preseason ranking is why they aren't high now. But even if they started 10-11 they wouldn't be ahead of any of that top 5.

For us, it's the only way to mitigate bias.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I mean there is a pretty good chance either KSU or Oregon goes undefeated and doesn't go. Hell ND could go undefeated and be left out.
I think ND goes if they are undefeated simply because they are ND. The media is starving for ND to be nationally prominent again.

mets1090

Reaction Score
A final point: Even if they finish 12-0 and 11-1 and don't crack say the top 5 at the end of the season (although a 13-0 Fiesta Bowl or Orange Bowl champ would definitely be top 5), the impressive records and final rankings would allow them to most likely be ranked higher in the preseason polls next year. And that means a whole lot less of "The Big East nowhere to be seen in the rankings" talk in the month leading up to the season. You hear so much of that talk in August and it's almost impossible to overcome regardless of how well the season goes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think ND goes if they are undefeated simply because they are ND. The media is starving for ND to be nationally prominent again.
Wins over OU & USC will boost ND tremendously in the computer rankings. I doubt that they will ever have any issues in the polls. A school like Oregon needs to be concerned that they may be passed by ND even if they win out.

Reaction Score
I think an undefeated team from the other 5 conferences would trump an undefeated be team.
But to the earlier point, because UofL and cincy started so low, they are now competing with the 1 loss teams to move up the rankings. If they were at 10-11 to start, they probably would be ahead of most one loss teams.

Reaction Score
Does miss st not prove the sec bias?
Who have hey beaten? How are they 11?

And now, regardless of the game against bama, the sec is only going thump it's chest because the outcome, either way will prove how good the sec is.

Meanwhile a game between two top be programs will send the loser out of the top 25.

I hate the sec.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think an undefeated team from the other 5 conferences would trump an undefeated be team.
But to the earlier point, because UofL and cincy started so low, they are now competing with the 1 loss teams to move up the rankings. If they were at 10-11 to start, they probably would be ahead of most one loss teams.

This year the one loss teams aren't going to matter. Since only 1 and 2
count this year it doesn't really matter where they started. 2 are going undefeated and LV and RU won't have any argument against them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They are also playing a brutal schedule. If they are undefeated, they deserve to go. I think there is a chance that nobody goes unbeaten.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well for one thing, Kent St. just gashed Rutgers's defense to take the lead 7-3 in the 1st quarter. So we might want to wait a little bit before posing the question again...

Reaction Score
If our conference was not so desperate for good PR, I would be enjoying myself so much watching RU disintegrate

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rutgers is simply just not a great team. they are good. but not top 20 good. its that simple. they have a very weak schedule by chance this year. who knew they would get ark at the perfect time? who knew uconn would suck and still give them a game up until the last couple minutes. etc schedule wise. all there fans dont know what good fball is so they think they are hot right now. they are special ed fball fans at this point. rutgers will finish 2nd or 3rd and hopefully they win themselves a nice bowl game. but the whole them being really good thing is a joke. most mac teams to this point have tougher sos's.

lville on the other hand can run the table and finish top 5 bcs numbers wise. if rutgers can get to 9 or 10 wins then they will be in the 20 area all the time in the bcs standings giving the ville a nice win to finish off the year. the ville needs several things to happen but i wouldnt count them out. as the year goes on they will rise with that recorrd slowly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gamblers weren't salivating at the Kent State - Rutgers line for no reason. Rutgers still may come back they made the play they needed to make to get back in it. I'm not sure how anyone could watch South Carolina and Tennessee today and then watch Kent State Rutgers and think that the reason they are ranked behind is 'bias'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom