Cam Spencer 0 Stars out of high school recruitment | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer 0 Stars out of high school recruitment

Reaction Score
Did I hear that right that he didn’t even start a game in high school what a stor.

Reaction Score
He’ll never out-run, out-jump, or out-muscle anybody, but he is so smart and so good at putting himself in positions to make plays

Efficiency means maximizing output while minimizing input. Cam is EFFICIENT. Never a wasted dribble or movement, and a great shooter to go with it

Reaction Score
I don't know about "0-star"--I think they give kids 2 just for getting a D1 offer.

He averaged 10/3/3 his first 2 years at Loyola. It's not like some 5* talent was overlooked. He probably could have ended up at a lower-level P6 instead of a mid-major.

The real story of his career is his unbelievable development.

Reaction Score
I don't know about "0-star"--I think they give kids 2 just for getting a D1 offer.

He averaged 10/3/3 his first 2 years at Loyola. It's not like some 5* talent was overlooked. He probably could have ended up at a lower-level P6 instead of a mid-major.

The real story of his career is his unbelievable development.
We weren't seeing the best of him his first 2 years at Loyola. He played through debilitating pain his first 2 seasons and missed a ton of time before getting hip surgery. He was playing through severe pain even in high school.

Reaction Score
He’ll never out-run, out-jump, or out-muscle anybody, but he is so smart and so good at putting himself in positions to make plays

Efficiency means maximizing output while minimizing input. Cam is EFFICIENT. Never a wasted dribble or movement, and a great shooter to go with it
I remember watching clips of him when we got involved, just so excited about what I saw. He's better even than what I imagined.

Reaction Score
We weren't seeing the best of him his first 2 years at Loyola. He played through debilitating pain his first 2 seasons and missed a ton of time before getting hip surgery. He was playing through severe pain even in high school.
Wow, labrum?

Reaction Score
Happy to have Spencer and he’s been exactly what we need, but he’s athletically limited. He’s gotten stuffed on a drive to the hoop I think in close to every game, and vs a high level team like Texas he will get beat badly in a 1:1 defensive matchup on occasion.

Not surprised he wasn’t ranked highly - you can’t bet on guys like him to reach the 99th percentile of their range of outcomes like he has consistently.

Reaction Score
My daughter had a friend who was a bench warmer in high school and barely played who went on to play four years of D1. Talent can be missed. It happens. I'd hire grinders like that kid or Tristen at my company any day. Nothing like proving the doubters wrong.

Reaction Score
Wow, labrum?
This article details all of it. Knowing what he's fought through physically and how he was overlooked by everyone except his brother's local mid-major University despite dominating in high school makes me love Cam even more...

Meet Rutgers’ Cam Spencer: a competitive ‘animal’ eager to make B1G jump with Scarlet Knights

Reaction Score
My daughter had a friend who was a bench warmer in high school and barely played who went on to play four years of D1. Talent can be missed. It happens. I'd hire grinders like that kid or Tristen at my company any day. Nothing like proving the doubters wrong.

I shared this anecdote before but the only professional athlete in the big sports from my HS got cut from our HS teams. But that wasn’t the case for Cam. He was a starter/star. Really terrific article posted by SJ and we are unbelievably lucky to have him.

Reaction Score

Love Tristen but you definitely don't want to hire the guy, lol.

Reaction Score
This article details all of it. Knowing what he's fought through physically and how he was overlooked by everyone except his brother's local mid-major University despite dominating in high school makes me love Cam even more...

Meet Rutgers’ Cam Spencer: a competitive ‘animal’ eager to make B1G jump with Scarlet Knights

Tough kid. The desire to leave a decent spot at Rutgers makes some more sense now. All that pain just to play for a crappy team would piss off the competitor in me too

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think folks in this thread are wildly understating Spencer’s athleticism. It’s obviously not his dominant trait, but he didn’t look at all out of his depth against Indiana or Texas. Was constantly able to create separation to get into the lane, always lost his guys off of screens, didn’t get washed 1v1 and had a nose for rebounds in the scrum.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
rudy sees GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Reminds me of Tyler Kolek. Nobody really wanted him out of Cumberland High either.

Reaction Score
Two factors to consider - kids mature at different levels. I remember Rashad Anderson was a terror in HS because he was physically ahead of his peers. On the other hand, some players need more time to build strength, etc.

I really like Cam, but he's also 23, i.e., two years old than Jordan Hawkins. That extra maturity and coaching really make a difference.

Reaction Score

He's got that old-man game, very crafty.

Reaction Score
Whether he is athletic or not, does it matter? He makes the team significantly better.

similarly, I've had conversations with people about Samson, where they mention that he only appears to catch lobs, and doesn't have a complete game. Who cares how you get 15 and 7?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom