Cam Spencer 0 Stars out of high school recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer 0 Stars out of high school recruitment

Reaction Score
similarly, I've had conversations with people about Samson, where they mention that he only appears to catch lobs, and doesn't have a complete game. Who cares how you get 15 and 7?
Because as of now that 15 and 7 is a specific game and not the trend. Being able to do more than catch lobs is how you go from a guy who's averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds this year to a guy who is consistently scoring double figures and is an even better player. He doesn't need to do that, because he's already incredibly valuable and has shown a ton of improvement. But it just significantly raises the ceiling of this team if he does develop a jumpshot and some kind of post move

Reaction Score
I don't know about "0-star"--I think they give kids 2 just for getting a D1 offer.

He averaged 10/3/3 his first 2 years at Loyola. It's not like some 5* talent was overlooked. He probably could have ended up at a lower-level P6 instead of a mid-major.

The real story of his career is his unbelievable development.

Not totally denying anything you said but the article SJ linked to provides more context. Our guy was leading the country in A/TO ratio, shooting 40+ from 3 through his first 14 games of college before getting hurt. Clearly he has developed but he has always been kinda a stud.

Reaction Score
Because as of now that 15 and 7 is a specific game and not the trend. Being able to do more than catch lobs is how you go from a guy who's averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds this year to a guy who is consistently scoring double figures and is an even better player. He doesn't need to do that, because he's already incredibly valuable and has shown a ton of improvement. But it just significantly raises the ceiling of this team if he does develop a jumpshot and some kind of post move
100% adding those skills to his game would add increased value. I'm reminded of the reels and reels of posts trashing AJax for his lack offensive production, but ends up we didn't need him to be that guy to accomplish the goal- and with huge margin of victory. It's natural as a fan base to ask "but cant he give me more" however it doesn't mean that he needs to do more for the team to win. But I hear you, a limited game can be frustrating.

Reaction Score
Interesting that he played one year for Steve Pikiell in the B1G and then transferred to UConn. That must have been really tough on Pikiell and the fans. That's the college game today I guess.

Reaction Score
Happy to have Spencer and he’s been exactly what we need, but he’s athletically limited. He’s gotten stuffed on a drive to the hoop I think in close to every game, and vs a high level team like Texas he will get beat badly in a 1:1 defensive matchup on occasion.

Not surprised he wasn’t ranked highly - you can’t bet on guys like him to reach the 99th percentile of their range of outcomes like he has consistently.

You look at the fact he got a couple of drives to the hole blocked and got beat on D a few times. Others see the improvement in ball movement due to his ability to see the court and see a play ahead. And others see him making a steal off his man on D due to his intelligence on that end knowing he needs to make up for his less than stellar athletic ability. He’s such a good basketball player overall I find it hard to focus on his inabilities.

Huge get!!!

Reaction Score
Whether he is athletic or not, does it matter? He makes the team significantly better.

similarly, I've had conversations with people about Samson, where they mention that he only appears to catch lobs, and doesn't have a complete game. Who cares how you get 15 and 7?
People don’t understand what a weapon it is to have a center that runs like Samson. Think Hunter Dickinson will enjoy trying to keep up? If he tries it will hurt him on offense because he will be spent

Reaction Score
He’s Ginobli. Righty kiolek. These type of high iq players are offensive connectors.

King of hockey assists. Meaning the pass that leads to the assist. Watch how often he looks to penetrate just with the purpose of drawing d and kicking back out to 3. Defensively always in right place. I think hes our most valuable player, and will continue to be tbh. Hes the Reason ive said will be our best passing team ever. Moving the ball can be contagious

Reaction Score
Interesting that he played one year for Steve Pikiell in the B1G and then transferred to UConn. That must have been really tough on Pikiell and the fans. That's the college game today I guess.
The fact several players have bolted the past two years is odd when you consider how much the players have praised Pikiell.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of old man jeff hornacek--time with the Jazz. Always in the right spot, top shelf play making for an off guard and assassin capability.

Reaction Score
People don’t understand what a weapon it is to have a center that runs like Samson. Think Hunter Dickinson will enjoy trying to keep up? If he tries it will hurt him on offense because he will be spent
Completely agree. He's a greyhound. Samson is a gifted athlete. He gets off the floor like he's on a trampoline. He got an offensive rebound last night and was up and dunked while everyone else was still on the floor.

These are things that can not be taught or acquired. God gives them to you. He's a 6 foot, 10 inch, fast twitch athlete. Very rare.

Reaction Score
Can Cam apply for and receive another year of eligibility? His '20-'21 season was 5 games and 3 starts. Assuming He already applied for a medical redshirt, how does the Covid redshirt incorporate in this scenario? If he didn't apply for a medical RS, then is he currently playing on the Covid-19 automatic waiver?

From his Rutgers profile on his Loyol' MD season:

2020-2021 (Sophomore):
  • Played in the season’s final five games, starting the last three, after missing the first 12 due to injury.
  • Averaged 10.2 points and 4.4 rebounds per game to go with 3.0 assists.

Reaction Score
Can Cam apply for and receive another year of eligibility? His '20-'21 season was 5 games and 3 starts. Assuming He already applied for a medical redshirt, how does the Covid redshirt incorporate in this scenario? If he didn't apply for a medical RS, then is he currently playing on the Covid-19 automatic waiver?

From his Rutgers profile on his Loyol' MD season:
You can only apply one waiver to a season, so he can't apply the Covid year he's currently using and a medical redshirt to the 2020-21 season

Reaction Score
You can only apply one waiver to a season, so he can't apply the Covid year he's currently using and a medical redshirt to the 2020-21 season
Ok, but the question is next season. I'm trying to make sense of the players that have had 6 years of NCAA eligibility.

Can Cam retroactively apply for a Medical RS?

From the interwebs:

MEDICAL HARDSHIP (A.K.A. MEDICAL REDSHIRT)

A student-athlete can apply for a medical hardship waiver, which allows for an extra year of eligibility, if he or she suffers an injury or illness that prevents them from finishing the current season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season, and the player can't have participated in more than three games (or 30 percent of the scheduled games, whichever is greater).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok, but the question is next season. I'm trying to make sense of the players that have had 6 years of NCAA eligibility.

Can Cam retroactively apply for a Medical RS?

From the interwebs:

MEDICAL HARDSHIP (A.K.A. MEDICAL REDSHIRT)

A student-athlete can apply for a medical hardship waiver, which allows for an extra year of eligibility, if he or she suffers an injury or illness that prevents them from finishing the current season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season, and the player can't have participated in more than three games (or 30 percent of the scheduled games, whichever is greater).
That's what I'm saying, no he cannot. He can't get a Covid waiver for the 2020-21 season (which he is using for this season) and also get a medical redshirt for the 2020-21 season. It's one or the other, and he already used his waiver for that season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom