BYU is still open to joining another conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BYU is still open to joining another conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Travel in the Big 12 can't be much worse than travel in the AAC. Still, the long term viability of the Big 12 will always be up for debate. It's becoming obvious that Texas has overplayed it's hand. Texas is big but not ND big and they don't have the national cache. The languid LHN is proof of that. IMO, the Big 12 would be best served making the jump to 16: BYU, Cinci, UConn, Temple, Tulane and UCF. It's a bold, bold move but it gives the league an eastern pod, new media markets, new recruiting grounds and some academics.

Reaction Score
It's becoming obvious that Texas has overplayed it's hand. Texas is big but not ND big and they don't have the national cache. The languid LHN is proof of that.

Spot on Funs. UConn gets more many more eyeballs with SNY than UT does w/Longhorn net. One of UConn's best selling points that doesn't get sold or reported enough.

Should a big 12 offer come (not thinking it will, but you never know), it would actually be a tough decision seeing the buyer's remorse WVU is enduring. UConn in Big 12 is the equivalent of being underemployed - good to be employed, but there are two better jobs you'd much rather have.

Reaction Score
Travel in the Big 12 can't be much worse than travel in the AAC. Still, the long term viability of the Big 12 will always be up for debate. It's becoming obvious that Texas has overplayed it's hand. Texas is big but not ND big and they don't have the national cache. The languid LHN is proof of that. IMO, the Big 12 would be best served making the jump to 16: BYU, Cinci, UConn, Temple, Tulane and UCF. It's a bold, bold move but it gives the league an eastern pod, new media markets, new recruiting grounds and some academics.

Much worse? It's worse, but don't know about much worse.

Right now, UConn has to travel to Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, Cincy and Philly. All cities with big airports and the schools are right downtown. The exception is East Carolina, which is in the middle of nowhere. Tulsa is a decent size city but there will be no direct flights there.

Now, think of Ames Iowa, Manhattan Kansas, even Lawrence Kansas, Stillwater OKie, Okie City = Tulsa, Lubbock for heaven's sake... Ugh.

NOTE: I am not making a case for AAC over the B12.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Much worse? It's worse, but don't know about much worse.

Right now, UConn has to travel to Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, Cincy and Philly. All cities with big airports and the schools are right downtown. The exception is East Carolina, which is in the middle of nowhere. Tulsa is a decent size city but there will be no direct flights there.

Now, think of Ames Iowa, Manhattan Kansas, even Lawrence Kansas, Stillwater OKie, Okie City = Tulsa, Lubbock for heaven's sake... Ugh.

NOTE: I am not making a case for AAC over the B12.

Agree this is a problem, but one that about a $27M pay increase should resolve.

Reaction Score
I'll say this much: Temple is one of those "If they could only get their together in football" schools like UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico, Colorado State or even Memphis. These are all schools in good markets and/recruiting areas and solid basketball fan bases that have simply been worse than awful in football (which has made them radioactive in power conference realignment). If one of those schools can get the Gang of Five CFP bowl spot, then they can vault up the realignment desirability list pretty quickly. There's no way that the Big 12 would take one of those schools in their current state, but a CFP bowl win can do a lot for those types of schools in the way that it did for Utah and TCU (and they have location and TV market advantages that Boise State doesn't have).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have to wander whether just football credibility will be the criteria for the next Big 12 member(s).

http://newsok.com/big-12-football-academic-standing-takes-a-hit/article/3835511/?page=1
The Big 12 has taken a hit, maybe only a small hit, but a hit, on its football prowess after conference realignment. But the Big 12 has taken a major hit academically. The Big 12 has lost Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska, while adding TCU and West Virginia. A&M and Missouri were two of the Big 12′s most prestigious academic schools, and CU and Nebraska certainly weren’t near the bottom.
You know what I think about academic snobbery. But I also know that Big 12 presidents always are thinking about it. And no way can they be pleased the way the Big 12 has taken a hit in its academic reputation.

I think a strength that UConn could point to, if seeking Big 12 membership, would be academics. Of course, AAU members such as Tulane and Rice, may get a look if the Big 12 decides to expand and focus more on shoring up academics rather than football credibility in the next round of expansion.

What a load of nonsense in that article. Missouri isn't academically prestigious in any way, nor is Nebraska. They were both average within the Big 12. Colorado was probably slightly above average, mostly because it is a hip/cool/trendy destination (like UVM in New England, but magnified). A&M was a major loss. They can add Rice anytime they want, but I don't see it happening. Hell, even Tulsa is a good school, if not on the research end of things. No, football will be the key, although I really think there will be some pressure to upgrade basketball and provide a legit rival to Kansas. That is our best hope.

Reaction Score
Re BYU, wouldn't they have to date for a long time before comsummating any marriage with the B12?

Reaction Score
While the idea of the Big 12 offers slight hope only because they actually need two teams, pigs will fly and the Kardashian's will not be annoying before that happens. How on gods earth does a small democratic state school from New England fit into that conference? Sitting as a geographical outlier with not even a slight inkling of commonality with regards to anything? While lobbying for it makes sense as only a way out of the AAC, not sure it's even worth the effort given the odds of it happening.
Oh I don't know. The Mountaineers lobbied. Look where it got them: to a better place than us. I'd lobby to get out of this hellhole. I like the idea of the B-12 adding the 6 aforementioned schools for an Eastern pod. It's proactive & would rekindle UConn's rivalry with WVa. It would be a win-win for Both UConn & the Big-12. BUT, I'm not holding my breath.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll say this much: Temple is one of those "If they could only get their together in football" schools like UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico, Colorado State or even Memphis. These are all schools in good markets and/recruiting areas and solid basketball fan bases that have simply been worse than awful in football (which has made them radioactive in power conference realignment). If one of those schools can get the Gang of Five CFP bowl spot, then they can vault up the realignment desirability list pretty quickly. There's no way that the Big 12 would take one of those schools in their current state, but a CFP bowl win can do a lot for those types of schools in the way that it did for Utah and TCU (and they have location and TV market advantages that Boise State doesn't have).

While it doesn't help UConn any, I do think geography is important. Every bar in Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indianapolis or the Ohio cities is a Big Ten bar. Those games will be on. Banners will be on the walls. There is a mindset that you are in Big Ten country. The same applies for the SEC. It would for the Pac 10 if they had any sports bars in California or anyone there cared about college sports (they do in Seattle and maybe Tempe/Tuscon). The ACC strggles with this outside NC and VA. The Big 12 has it in TX, OK and KS. It needs to expand, and I'd suggest rebranding as a the Southwest Conference. Grab BYU, New Mexico, Nevada and UNLV and rebrand. The money infusion will help those programs. They'll never stake a claim in Louisiana, so Tulane is useless, and the same goes for Memphis. Thinking long term, they should look west.

Reaction Score
While it doesn't help UConn any, I do think geography is important. Every bar in Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indianapolis or the Ohio cities is a Big Ten bar. Those games will be on. Banners will be on the walls. There is a mindset that you are in Big Ten country. The same applies for the SEC. It would for the Pac 10 if they had any sports bars in California or anyone there cared about college sports (they do in Seattle and maybe Tempe/Tuscon). The ACC strggles with this outside NC and VA. The Big 12 has it in TX, OK and KS. It needs to expand, and I'd suggest rebranding as a the Southwest Conference. Grab BYU, New Mexico, Nevada and UNLV and rebrand. The money infusion will help those programs. They'll never stake a claim in Louisiana, so Tulane is useless, and the same goes for Memphis. Thinking long term, they should look west.

That makes sense as a business plan, although I do think the Big 12 generally does want 1 or 2 Eastern partners for WVU. Without WVU in that league already, I'd say that you're completely on point that a full western expansion would make sense for the Big 12. The thing is that WVU is there, though, which means it's hard to see the Big 12 not giving them at least one eastern partner if the league were to expand. From UConn's perspective, the school needs to position itself to be in that mix if/when it happens. As much as I enjoy this forum, I don't think it would be fun for anybody here if Cincinnati (or some other school to be determined that suddenly goes on a football hot streak) gets that ticket out of the AAC in a couple of years while UConn still can't find a power conference home.

Reaction Score
Frank, despite how dour our fate appears to be, I don't see UConn lobbying anyone to get into the Big 12. It's the wrong fit. Cincy might actually be the more logical choice--Tuberville provides an interesting nexus-- as the eastern travel partner for WVU. It also brings the Big 12 into the Ohio recruiting area.
I see it far more likely that Susan and Warde's plan will be to excel in the AAC short term, move as quickly as possible to AAU status, and be ready when the next ACC or B1G opening arrives.

Reaction Score
Frank, despite how dour our fate appears to be, I don't see UConn lobbying anyone to get into the Big 12. It's the wrong fit. Cincy might actually be the more logical choice--Tuberville provides an interesting nexus-- as the eastern travel partner for WVU. It also brings the Big 12 into the Ohio recruiting area.
I see it far more likely that Susan and Warde's plan will be to excel in the AAC short term, move as quickly as possible to AAU status, and be ready when the next ACC or B1G opening arrives.

I get what you're saying, it makes logical sense, until you look at the money. Unless Herbst is out of her mind, she sees this: $20-25m is better than $2m.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
From UConn's perspective, the school needs to position itself to be in that mix if/when it happens. As much as I enjoy this forum, I don't think it would be fun for anybody here if Cincinnati (or some other school to be determined that suddenly goes on a football hot streak) gets that ticket out of the AAC in a couple of years while UConn still can't find a power conference home.

This is why I have to force myself to root for PP this year. I know it's a pipe dream but a 10-11 win season and the last BCS bowl we could have an autobid for would go a long long way right now. It would change the narrative about UConn completely.

Reaction Score
When the ACC passed on WVU, no one would have ever thought that a year later they would take UL. It basically came down to the fact that the ACC expanded right when they were having their worst football season ever and FSU's was getting killed in the computer rankings.

One thing we know well about CR is that it is completely fickle. If UConn has one good football season or the Big 12/B1G has a disastrous basketball season when UConn BBall is hot, things could change in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Unless Herbst is out of her mind, she sees this: $20-25m is better than $2m.

Yes, unless she views the Big East breakup money as filling the short term gap and has had other "conversations". That's just a guess but would certainly better fit her vision of where she wants us to be. If she perceived there to be no hope for the ACC or B1G, I'd agree with you.

Reaction Score
Yes, unless she views the Big East breakup money as filling the short term gap and has had other "conversations". That's just a guess but would certainly better fit her vision of where she wants us to be. If she perceived there to be no hope for the ACC or B1G, I'd agree with you.

Taking such a chance borderlines on malpractice. She is taken a huge risk for the future of the school if she puts any stock whatsoever in conversations. Besides, if it comes to pass that the B1G is interested in adding, the B12 would be one of the leagues most likely to break apart--and Uconn would be free to leave.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Taking such a chance borderlines on malpractice. She is taken a huge risk for the future of the school if she puts any stock whatsoever in conversations. Besides, if it comes to pass that the B1G is interested in adding, the B12 would be one of the leagues most likely to break apart--and Uconn would be free to leave.

I am willing to rely on the fact that she has more information than we do. So if we head to the Big 12, I'll say my thank yous and assume that we didn't have a landing spot elsewhere. The travel is no worse than the AAC, and the B1G wouldn't be much better. If she declines or shows no interest in the Big 12, I'll assume it is because she knows we do have a spot in the ACC or B1G. She can't turn down the Big 12 without a near gurarantee of a spot elsewhere.

Reaction Score

If any of those schools join a power conference before UConn I will certainly not be shocked due to our suceess in this realignment game, but I will be deeply disappointed and confused. Only Temple and Col St have larger media markets, but both play second fiddle in those markets. None of the schools average a higher attendance, the next closest according to last years stats was temple coming in at over 8,000 less a game. I understand the geographic advantages, but the Big 12 threw geography out the window with the WVU addition.

It amazes me that the amount of football committment and success UConn has had in a short amount of time, coupled with its market presence, athletic department success, and academics has been skipped over so many times. I know I sound like a broken record, but jeez are these commissioners blind? These schools may be reasonable options, but if any find a home before UConn its an absolute shame.

Edit: I guess I am not really arguing any of your points. I'm just shocked that it has come the point where I may have to worry about those colleges being chosen before UConn.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If any of those schools join a power conference before UConn I will certainly not be shocked due to our suceess in this realignment game, but I will be deeply disappointed and confused. Only Temple and Col St have larger media markets, but both play second fiddle in those markets. None of the schools average a higher attendance, the next closest according to last years stats was temple coming in at over 8,000 less a game. I understand the geographic advantages, but the Big 12 threw geography out the window with the WVU addition.

It amazes me that the amount of football committment and success UConn has had in a short amount of time, coupled with its market presence, athletic department success, and academics has been skipped over so many times. I know I sound like a broken record, but jeez are these commissioners blind? These schools may be reasonable options, but if any find a home before UConn its an absolute shame.

Edit: I guess I am not really arguing any of your points. I'm just shocked that it has come the point where I may have to worry about those colleges being chosen before UConn.

Just about every major player in the CR game is either blind or illogical. The same people who will drone on about "brand" and "history" are the first people who will dump a long standing rivalry for a few dollars more. Some schools embrace competition while others run away from it. Some conferences value academics, no wait football prowess, well this year anyways. The conference that gets UConn will become instantly better in a number of ways.

Reaction Score
Frank,

Sometimes you are right on the money, but sometimes you come up with tings that make zero sense or show zero understanding of markets. Temple is one of those schools that if they could only get there s88t together...Temple is a meaningless blip in Philadelphia. With the rare exception of when they play Penn State theri best drawing home game is Villanova, a 1AA program. Philly is the quintessential pro football town, even moreso than New York. Temple could be unbeaten, untied and unscored upon and playing for the national championship and people in Philly would be asking, "Whose going to start at quarterback for the Eagles next season?"

Reaction Score
Frank,

Sometimes you are right on the money, but sometimes you come up with tings that make zero sense or show zero understanding of markets. Temple is one of those schools that if they could only get there s88t together...Temple is a meaningless blip in Philadelphia. With the rare exception of when they play Penn State theri best drawing home game is Villanova, a 1AA program. Philly is the quintessential pro football town, even moreso than New York. Temple could be unbeaten, untied and unscored upon and playing for the national championship and people in Philly would be asking, "Whose going to start at quarterback for the Eagles next season?"

I totally understand that Temple is meaningless in the Philly market as it stands. Most of my extended family lives in or is from Philly. However, I'm sure plenty would argue the same with respect to Rutgers in the NYC market. (And they might be correct.) Obviously, every conference wants the most high profile football schools with great academics in great markets and can sell out 80,000 seats or more per game. However, those schools are few and far between even among the power conferences, much less the Gang of Five leagues. So, if the Big 12 is going to add an eastern school for the benefit of WVU (which is a large assumption, but we'll do it here for the sake of discussion purposes), can you really automatically count Temple out IF they actually have a pulse on the football field (which is another large assumption)? I don't think that anyone should do that. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the two best football recruit producing states of the North, so Temple provides an inroad there. Being in a large market (even if it's an indifferent one like Philly) also still trumps being a school in a more passionate smaller market (East Carolina, for example) when all of the "obvious" options are off the table.

Once again, Temple (or Cincinnati, Memphis, UNLV, New Mexico, or UConn, for that matter) will still need to have some football credibility to cause the Big 12 to make a proactive move to expansion. As a result, I'm certainly not suggesting that Temple is anywhere near the vicinity of the Big 12's radar right now. However, they're also far from the worst option if they actually string together some good football seasons and whole lot closer to the "If they could only get their together" group than they are in the "NFW" group (e.g. Wyoming, Southern Mississippi, and other small market schools that don't have a prayer of moving up no matter how strong they might be on-the-field because of where they're located).

Reaction Score
When you look at markets, if UConn were to move to the Big 12, it would be the 2nd or 3th largest media market on the day it joined the league behind Dallas-Fort Worth, but ahead of Kansas City, Austin, DeMoine-Ames, Wichita, Oklahoma City. And that doesn't even consider its reach into at least the Fairfield County portion of the New York market and the southern portion of Springfield Mass. Though I recognize that Texas reach extends beyond Austin, too, though not as far as they thought. As for Temple, they really don't have any attraction in Philly. Their inroads into the Pennsylvania recruiting market are closer to a cartpath than I-90, that's for sure. Folks have talked for decades about Temple's access to the Philadelphia market, but it simply isn't there. For what its worth, I also agree with Tranghese (and I can't believe I wrote that) that most people misunderstand the New York market, which is really a series of sub-markets. The Big East with multiple points of entrance, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers and to a lesser extent St Johns and Seton Hall managed to get a significant piece of that market by bundling a number of those sub-markets. So Rutgers fans would watch and root for or against UConn and Syracuse, UConn fans would watch Syracuse & the Ruts and Syracuse fans would watch UConn & Rutgers. But just taking Rutgers is going to be incredibly disappointing for the Big 10 and would be even if Rutgers wasn't a complete clusterf68k. Same with the ACC and Syracuse. And if the B12 were to take UConn, they'd be disappointed in our share of the NY market, too. Kind of like the Army-Navy game if they weren't military academies. Or that tv commercial about a bed or breakfast. That is what people who think they're getting entre into the NY market by taking Syracuse OR Rutgers OR UConn will end up with. A bunch of folks sleeping in their pancakes.

Reaction Score
Luck Says No Big 12 Expansion Coming Anytime Soon Post original url/14bufCY

Reaction Score
Luck Says No Big 12 Expansion Coming Anytime Soon Post original url/14bufCY
if you define soon as 2013-14 I suspect he's correct. After that, it will be necessary to keep pace with the other major conferences. Whether they like it or not, they will be hurt without a conference title game and they may hurt others. At that point Delany and Slieve sill simply demand that they add 2 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom