BYU is still open to joining another conference | The Boneyard

BYU is still open to joining another conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If this happened one would think Cinci would be their partner to big 12 right?

From ESPN insider rumors:
BYU is still open to joining a conference

May, 29, 2013
May 29
4:26
PM ET
By Brent Sobleski | ESPN.com
Recommend0
Tweet0
Comments0
Email
Print

College football realignment has finally slowed, but its unlikely to be completely finished. BYU is the most attractive and available program on the market. The school continues to weigh its options.

"We pretty much watch it year by year. ... It is wise to follow that course," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe told Jay Drew of the Salt Lake Tribune.

BYU is an attractive option to the Big 12 Conference if the league eventually decides to expand to 12 teams. The Pac-12 Conference is also an option if its pushed to expand. Both cases are only likely to occur if either the Big Ten Conference or the SEC decides to push the envelope to 16 teams. If five "super-conferences" emerge, BYU will be ready to make the move and become a member of one of them.

Reaction Score
I am surprised the Pac-12 was mentioned as an option. An old article but still relevant, in my opinion, to why the Pac-12 is not likely a destination for BYU.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...xpected-to-dominate-Pac-10-meetings.html?pg=1
—Why not Brigham Young?
The Cougars are not under consideration, according to sources, for three reasons: The secular institutions in the Pac-10 are wary of aligning with a church-affiliated school; BYU isn't viewed as a good fit academically because it's not a major research institution; and for religious reasons, the Cougars don't play on Sundays, which restricts scheduling options.
And it makes no sense for the Pac-10 to invite two schools (Utah and Brigham Young) from the same television market.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I am surprised the Pac-12 was mentioned as an option. An old article but still relevant, in my opinion, to why the Pac-12 is not likely a destination for BYU.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...xpected-to-dominate-Pac-10-meetings.html?pg=1
—Why not Brigham Young?
The Cougars are not under consideration, according to sources, for three reasons: The secular institutions in the Pac-10 are wary of aligning with a church-affiliated school; BYU isn't viewed as a good fit academically because it's not a major research institution; and for religious reasons, the Cougars don't play on Sundays, which restricts scheduling options.
And it makes no sense for the Pac-10 to invite two schools (Utah and Brigham Young) from the same television market.
BYU is a national program though due to its religious affiliation. I have BYU TV as part of my sports package and I'm in CT. So they could potentially help bring PAC 12 more national penetration.

Reaction Score
—Why not Brigham Young?

Yeah, anyone that mentions the Pac-12 as an option falls for the novice conference realignment trap of thinking that geographic compactness matters at all. There is absolutely no chance that the people in the Bay Area and LA that run the Pac-12 would allow a school that is directly run by the LDS Church into their ranks. None. The LDS Church openly and financially led the charge to pass Prop 8 in California (the ban on gay marriage that was just reviewed by the Supreme Court) and, even though the church has actually backed off its anti-gay stance quite a bit since then, it's just going to be a non-starter for any of the Pac-12 presidents.

The Big 12, on the other hand, is a legit option for BYU. Baylor is so conservative that it only started allowing dancing on campus in the 1990s (seriously), so there aren't anywhere near the same issues regarding religion and politics with the Big 12 compared to the Big 12. In fact, it's hard to see any financially viable Big 12 expansion without BYU included.

Reaction Score
The Big 12, on the other hand, is a legit option for BYU. Baylor is so conservative that it only started allowing dancing on campus in the 1990s (seriously), so there aren't anywhere near the same issues regarding religion and politics with the Big 12 compared to the Big 12. In fact, it's hard to see any financially viable Big 12 expansion without BYU included.

Frank. Who would be a likely # 12 to the Big 12 if BYU is #11?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That is a good question. Given that BYU would make WVUs life increasingly worse, maybe they cave in and add Cincinnati, unless BYU is a sign that the Big12 is finally looking at markets outside of TX, OK, KS then look for one of the FL schools, and a glance at UConn as a long-shot.

Reaction Score
Frank. Who would be a likely # 12 to the Big 12 if BYU is #11?

Really tough to say. In a vacuum, I think UConn is the next most valuable chip on the table. That's why I'd be pushing the UConn admin to lobby the Big 12 day and night if I were a UConn alum (as that's simply the most likely road out of the AAC for the foreseeable future even if it's not the most desirable destination compared to the Big Ten or ACC).

The main issues that UConn would have to overcome are (1) geography (as it extends the footprint out further than WVU as opposed to creating a bridge to them and (2) football tradition (look at how they picked TCU and WVU and you can see that the Big 12 values football credibility in expansion more than anyone). Cincinnati is formidable competition on those fronts. You also have to look out for certain schools that would jump up in value pretty quickly if they could get their acts together at all on the football field: Tulane, Colorado State, New Mexico and UNLV are all prime examples of this.

Give the ACC credit - they knew full well that a side benefit to adding Lousiville was that it took away the single most financially compelling Big 12 expansion combo that didn't involve a WVU blogger FSU pipe dream: adding Louisville and BYU. Now, the Big 12 isn't that thrilled with their options. Using 20/20 hindsight, the Big 12 would have done that 2-team expansion a year ago, which would have meant that the ACC would have added UConn to replace Maryland. I really don't think the Big 12 really wants to stay at 12 no matter what their commissioner and ADs say (so they're the one power conference where expansion in and of itself may be a goal), but there's simply no consensus on who those two would be.

Reaction Score
If Cinci is picked up I will cry. On the one side though, that's another B1G option gone.

Reaction Score
If Cinci is picked up I will cry. On the one side though, that's another B1G option gone.

They aren't a Big 10 option. I would be mortified by the loss of Cincy to the B12 though.

Reaction Score
Big 12, should go UConn, Cincy, Temple, BYU. Yes Temple, I think they would be a nice addition in that the Big 12, could showcase itself in Philly regularly, and we could offer Texas, Oklahoma a game in NYC on a rotating basis. I've mentioned this a long time ago, but UConn should have/should still approach the Big 12 about this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Big 12, should go UConn, Cincy, Temple, BYU. Yes Temple, I think they would be a nice addition in that the Big 12, could showcase itself in Philly regularly, and we could offer Texas, Oklahoma a game in NYC on a rotating basis. I've mentioned this a long time ago, but UConn should have/should still approach the Big 12 about this.

While I think Temple might actually have value why would the Big 12 want them prior to getting a school in Florida?

Reaction Score
The main issues that UConn would have to overcome are (1) geography (as it extends the footprint out further than WVU as opposed to creating a bridge to them and (2) football tradition (look at how they picked TCU and WVU and you can see that the Big 12 values football credibility in expansion more than anyone). Cincinnati is formidable competition on those fronts. You also have to look out for certain schools that would jump up in value pretty quickly if they could get their acts together at all on the football field: Tulane, Colorado State, New Mexico and UNLV are all prime examples of this.

I have to wander whether just football credibility will be the criteria for the next Big 12 member(s).

http://newsok.com/big-12-football-academic-standing-takes-a-hit/article/3835511/?page=1
The Big 12 has taken a hit, maybe only a small hit, but a hit, on its football prowess after conference realignment. But the Big 12 has taken a major hit academically. The Big 12 has lost Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska, while adding TCU and West Virginia. A&M and Missouri were two of the Big 12′s most prestigious academic schools, and CU and Nebraska certainly weren’t near the bottom.
You know what I think about academic snobbery. But I also know that Big 12 presidents always are thinking about it. And no way can they be pleased the way the Big 12 has taken a hit in its academic reputation.

I think a strength that UConn could point to, if seeking Big 12 membership, would be academics. Of course, AAU members such as Tulane and Rice, may get a look if the Big 12 decides to expand and focus more on shoring up academics rather than football credibility in the next round of expansion.

Reaction Score
While I think Temple might actually have value why would the Big 12 want them prior to getting a school in Florida?
I can't answer that, but unlike others I don't pretend to have all the answers. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like or dislike Frank... He is 1000% right about the Big 12. The first thing the Big 12 should hear in the morning is Warde. The last thing the Big 12 hears as it falls asleep is Susan.

Reaction Score
Translation: you forgot South Florida
Translation, I wanted a reason/geographically speaking why UConn makes sense. This could go worse for than it already has. I'll try and dig up the thread I started MONTHS ago about UConn trying to drum interest in the Big 12. What Frank is saying isn't novel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Translation, I wanted a reason/geographically speaking why UConn makes sense. This could go worse for than it already has. I'll try and dig up the thread I started MONTHS ago about UConn trying to drum interest in the Big 12. What Frank is saying isn't novel.

Sure the Big 12 isn't a new idea. Temple helps UConn's case in a geographic sense to a point. They also went 15-100 in the old Big East which translates to 0-422 in the Big 12 going forward. They threw geography out the window with WVU... so may as well hipe they go all in with that strategy.

Reaction Score
While the idea of the Big 12 offers slight hope only because they actually need two teams, pigs will fly and the Kardashian's will not be annoying before that happens. How on gods earth does a small democratic state school from New England fit into that conference? Sitting as a geographical outlier with not even a slight inkling of commonality with regards to anything? While lobbying for it makes sense as only a way out of the AAC, not sure it's even worth the effort given the odds of it happening.

Reaction Score
As someone who knows and sees the usf campus and fan base. We are ahead of them by a considerable amount. In basketball a lot more than football but our fan base in football is bigger. That is how sad usf is. Florida Atlantic and Ucf are ahead of them. I really hope they don't get into a big conference before we do

Reaction Score
UConn, BYU, Cincy and USF or UCF to Big XII. It is obvious that adding the first three would significantly strengthen Big XII in basketball. What might not be so obvious is that adding those 4 strengthens Big XII football. All four have more potential or are currently better programs than Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State. Put them in the Big XII and they will soon be on par or better than the mid tier Big XII teams.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Yeah, anyone that mentions the Pac-12 as an option falls for the novice conference realignment trap of thinking that geographic compactness matters at all. There is absolutely no chance that the people in the Bay Area and LA that run the Pac-12 would allow a school that is directly run by the LDS Church into their ranks. None. The LDS Church openly and financially led the charge to pass Prop 8 in California (the ban on gay marriage that was just reviewed by the Supreme Court) and, even though the church has actually backed off its anti-gay stance quite a bit since then, it's just going to be a non-starter for any of the Pac-12 presidents.

Frank is on target with what Uconn needs to do. We need to get our message out as a university that we have what they need. We are overall a great package with athletics and academics. We are in no worse traveling situations then our current predicament. We are going to lose out to Cincy and be stick in the AAC for another 3 to 4 years until the other leagues move again unless we push for this. As an alum I rather get crushed in football for 5 years and play the big boys then be left at the kids table fighting over who is old enough to move up to sit with the adults. Not the ideal location, but gives us more stability then before. Even if the Big 12 gets picked apart if Texas and Ok leave...we still have good parts left in KU, K State, Texas Tech, etc....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big 12 looks like a dead man walkin'.

I think they followed Texas into a rat hole when they decided to stand still after adding West Virginia. If nothing else, they should have pushed on to 12 or 14.

Texas is starting to get beaten for recruits by A&M who is peddling the SEC and not a diet of corn poke schools. My hunch is that they'll tire of that pretty quickly and then look to get out in one way or another.

What will be left will be small-state scrapple looking for a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom