buyout a mac game right now! | The Boneyard

buyout a mac game right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and call up TT and get it done warde!!!!! they were going to play @ TS(friendly deal to help them build) but espn put the game on LHN which TT will not play on. they blew off a game last year for it also. they will buy out of it again from a pride standpoint. perfect splash for us. they are not great right now so its a winnable bcs game. get on it!

the game is sept 8th. we buy out WM on the 22nd. that is a TT by week. boom!

Reaction Score
not a terrible drive from plano. lagow could cheer on his new team. unless of course its here, then i can watch uconn v texas tech which would be a lot better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Weighing all the factors, I have to say no. TT is just not a big enough game to go back on our word and do to Western Michigan what we don't want Michigan to do to us.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Weighing all the factors, I have to say no. TT is just not a big enough game to go back on our word and do to Western Michigan what we don't want Michigan to do to us.

Give them another home game in a future year and they'll take the money willingly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

So it's not the "going back on our word" that you have a problem with. It's more about how big the game is for us to "go back on our word" for?

For what it's worth, I don't think we should buy out a game either.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
TT already has 7 home games. they would come to the rent. there ooc right now is nm, nwst, texst. invite them to the rent. even go as far as saying we would love to make it down to your place a couple years from now to make it a even series(have to build relationships and putting on a show in texas is now important to us). becuase the game is @ uconn we control the tv so its espn/abc or sny. thats no LHN which is all that matters. DO IT WARDE. that gives us a great ooc this year with ncst and tt coming to the rent. its worth every penny. tell WM to take the money, play temple(they need a 12th game) and that we will visit in 2016 or something.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter now anyways as LHN/ESPN is backing off trying to get the game

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Unforeseen consequences abound.

Reaction Score
and call up TT and get it done warde!!!!! they were going to play @ TS(friendly deal to help them build) but espn put the game on LHN which TT will not play on. they blew off a game last year for it also. they will buy out of it again from a pride standpoint. perfect splash for us. they are not great right now so its a winnable bcs game. get on it!

the game is sept 8th. we buy out WM on the 22nd. that is a TT by week. boom!
If you're REALLY trying to appeal to the athletic director, don't do it on the message board. Instead, send him an e-mail via the athletic department.;)

Reaction Score
Opting out of a road game to a MAC school at the end of June is kind of scummy.
Not Kind of...extremely scummy. it is too bad this didn't happen a while ago when it would be possible to work it out, but doesn't sound like it is possible. Just as we want Michigan to abide by its deal, WMU wants us to keep our end of the deal. And walking out this late would really screw them.

Reaction Score
Seems pretty self serving especially after they whipped us last year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ok so we just went thru that michigan buyout thread and some want us to play in ct and some say move it if it prevents a buyout. then again michigan can always just buy it out whenever they would like.

so this year were going to play at WM. something we should never have to do at this stage but anyway. were going to pass up getting a little creative with phone calls, hook up temple with a 12th game and have a chance to host a bcs school at the rent. thats a easy sell out and a winnable game for us and most here are not even going to think about it. where are the die hards that want blood and want uconn to be something one day in fball????? if buying out WM seems messy or not nice to you then go buy a umass tshirt. the syracuse ad gets it. they are going to mizzu. a bcs matchup is worth $$ no matter what end you on. we had a shot at fsu but not a rumble from our phone lines. get in the game or continue to watch other leagues make fun of you. good example- for the past 5ish years people rip the mwc but they always were fair with bsu. becuase bsu went out and played that big game somewhere and was willing to go anywhere for it. eventually they won and on the field they became legit and look now, they are moving up.

who really knows if tech will actually dump the game or w/e. but my point is i would be mad if we didn't call and see whats up considering how easy things would be to do it.

Reaction Score
HuskyfanDan said:
ok so we just went thru that michigan buyout thread and some want us to play in ct and some say move it if it prevents a buyout. then again michigan can always just buy it out whenever they would like.

so this year were going to play at WM. something we should never have to do at this stage but anyway. were going to pass up getting a little creative with phone calls, hook up temple with a 12th game and have a chance to host a bcs school at the rent. thats a easy sell out and a winnable game for us and most here are not even going to think about it. where are the die hards that want blood and want uconn to be something one day in fball????? if buying out WM seems messy or not nice to you then go buy a umass tshirt. the syracuse ad gets it. they are going to mizzu. a bcs matchup is worth $$ no matter what end you on. we had a shot at fsu but not a rumble from our phone lines. get in the game or continue to watch other leagues make fun of you. good example- for the past 5ish years people rip the mwc but they always were fair with bsu. becuase bsu went out and played that big game somewhere and was willing to go anywhere for it. eventually they won and on the field they became legit and look now, they are moving up.

who really knows if tech will actually dump the game or w/e. but my point is i would be mad if we didn't call and see whats up considering how easy things would be to do it.​

Amen.

If you want to be one of the big boys, you have to act like it. UM wouldn't lose any sleep over big timing us and buying out of our game at the Rent.​

Reaction Score
If they had not kicked our a$$es then I could find some merit in this. Who knows, maybe WM wants out anyway.

We will see.

pj

Reaction Score
If, indeed, Temple had a free date and wanted to add a MAC road game, this deal might make sense. But on the date of UConn - WMU, Temple plays at Penn State. WMU has games scheduled on Temple's open dates.

It's an interesting idea to consider but the logistics don't work. I don't think you can just quit on Western Michigan this close to the season without solving their scheduling problem as part of the deal.

Hosting Texas Tech would be fun but I don't think it's worth the hit to our reputation for being a good partner. MAC teams are going to be part of our schedule for years to come. Texas Tech would be a one-off.

I do agree that we shouldn't need to schedule MAC away games, at least not often, hopefully Warde will make the schedule stronger and have more home games in the future.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is absolutely mind numbing to me.

It's college football - it's a business. It's not dealing with your friends or family. These are contracts with buyout clauses in them. With how much UConn has been absolutely screwed in this process, how anyone can treat college football as anything but a cut throat business is beyond me.

People are advocating for an away MAC game over a game (and potentially a series) with Texas Tech, to preserve 'our word' even though contracts have language in them for buyouts. Nobody is saying Texas Tech is Texas or even Texas A&M, but they sure as hell have a lot more national cache than W. Michigan.

pj

Reaction Score
I've been in business at a high level for 20 years. If people don't trust you, you don't get deals done. Saying "it's a business" is a reason to be more faithful, not less.

The fact is, there's a modest number of schools UConn can schedule. Dozens, not hundreds. Executing to the letter of a contract while doing harm to a partner makes one enemy and many distrustful peers. It's not a good strategy for program that needs as many friends as it can get.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've been in business at a high level for 20 years. If people don't trust you, you don't get deals done. Saying "it's a business" is a reason to be more faithful, not less.

The fact is, there's a modest number of schools UConn can schedule. Dozens, not hundreds. Executing to the letter of a contract while doing harm to a partner makes one enemy and many distrustful peers. It's not a good strategy for program that needs as many friends as it can get.

You don't think that say Georgia Tech looks at the situation and sees UConn drop the MAC game, pay the full buyout in order to upgrade their OOC by playing Texas Tech and then goes 'we 100% can never schedule them'? I don't think it has any bearing on their thought process at all.

Teams will schedule UConn if we continue to win and the home/home makes financial sense on a potential OOC teams future schedule.

Every team is out for themselves. UConn has gotten screwed over in this so far, it's time to start doing what's best for UConn to get us the hell out of this mess.

pj

Reaction Score
You don't think that say Georgia Tech looks at the situation and sees UConn drop the MAC game, pay the full buyout in order to upgrade their OOC by playing Texas Tech and then goes 'we 100% can never schedule them'? I don't think it has any bearing on their thought process at all.

Teams will schedule UConn if we continue to win and the home/home makes financial sense on a potential OOC teams future schedule.

Every team is out for themselves. UConn has gotten screwed over in this so far, it's time to start doing what's best for UConn to get us the hell out of this mess.

I didn't say 100% they wouldn't schedule us. I do think they'd give preference to other alternatives, be reluctant to do us favors, and demand stronger termination clauses, eg bigger buyouts for cancellation.

More to the point, every BCS team in the northeast wants to have MAC teams come visit to fill out their schedule with extra home games, revenue, and an easy victory to increase the chance of making a bowl. Screw the MAC teams and they're not going to give you home visits without a return, or 2-for-1 deals.

Unless you want to spend millions a year bribing the likes of North Texas to come visit, you'd better try to be on good terms with scheduling partners.

The only part of your post I agree with is "it's time to start doing what's best for UConn." Which would not be achieved by your attitude of doing unto others as the worst have done unto you.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Play umass every year. If we have to a nova buff unh maine also other wise bcs and cusa mwc level teams only. U dont rise playing 3 mac teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom