Bubble teams | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bubble teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Are we now rooting for Tulsa given they up AAC perception by making the field?

Assuming So. Miss is now out, it seems unlikely that LaTech would retain a bid if they lose to Tulsa as So. Miss has a better RPI. But if it's, say, a 1 point Tulsa win in a great game, I suppose it's possible they could retain a play-in spot if the remaining bubble folds by looking bad (e.g. NC State gets blown out). If somehow CUSA gets two bids, that could put SMU at risk.

Reaction Score
Are we now rooting for Tulsa given they up AAC perception by making the field?

Yes, for the same reason we rooted for Louisville in the 2005 NCAAT (just before they were to join the BE), and for the same reason we'll all be rooting against Louisville this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Iowa dropped to 57 in the RPI rankings, and I don't see anything tomorrow to move them up. 40-60 are really tight in terms of actual RPI, but 57 is a weak number for an at-large. I tentatively have them as the last bid, but that is very tentative.

Toledo and Southern Miss are not going to the NCAA Tournament, and I don't think either snub will be that controversial.

Providence and St. Joe's shrunk the bubble by eliminating any doubt for either of them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think SMU is getting in but I'd certainly wager they play Tuesday.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think with St. Joe's win, the field should be set with little controversy. I would be surprised if Iowa and SMU are not playing on Tuesday. Minnesota, FSU, Iowa, and NC State are going to the NIT. I agree with Lunardi on who makes the field, if not necessarily last 4 in/last 4 out.

Reaction Score
I think with St. Joe's win, the field should be set with little controversy. I would be surprised if Iowa and SMU are not playing on Tuesday. Minnesota, FSU, Iowa, and NC State are going to the NIT. I agree with Lunardi on who makes the field, if not necessarily last 4 in/last 4 out.
Be ready to be surprised.

SMU maybe, but 0 chance Iowa is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mildly surprised by SMU not getting. The bigger surprise is, if you are going to do the ACC a favor, why did NC State get in over FSU?

Reaction Score
Mildly surprised by SMU not getting. The bigger surprise is, if you are going to do the ACC a favor, why did NC State get in over FSU?
NC State has no right being in the tournament. Which means they'll win two games or so.

Reaction Score
NC State has no right being in the tournament. Which means they'll win two games or so.
Just remember, Gottfried is their coach.....they'll be done after a very quick cup of coffee

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The theory being propagated on local radio here is that the NCAA needs an NBA-bound star to promote viewership of the Tuesday games. Thus, Tuesday will now be celebrated by ESPN and others as "TJ Warren Day".

Of course, the sensible among us know this was K's work.

Reaction Score
Have to give Nelson major props. Everybody thought SMU was a lock a week ago, and he was here talking about how they might have to win a game or two in the conference tournament. He was also dead-on regarding Iowa playing Tuesday, and he was 100% correct in thinking BYU was being under-sold by Lunardi.

Can't fault him for N.C. State. Nobody saw that coming.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Waylon did a good job, though the committee did a horrible job. They need to watch some games and rely less on computer ratings.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
FWIW, Lunardi hit on 40 of 68 correct seeds.
He underseeded 11 and overseeded 16.
Only bubble team he missed was SMU.

Perhaps most interesting were the ones he missed by more than 1 seed:
UConn/Kentucky: overseeded by 2
UVA/St Louis/Colorado: underseeded by 2 (although UVA is understandable as his final bracket was before the ACC final).
UMass: underseeded by 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer