Bubba wins his second Green Jacket | The Boneyard

Bubba wins his second Green Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Easy player to like. Would like to see him really contend in other majors.

Reaction Score
Was rooting for the kid, Spieth. Knew he'd probably implode down the stretch, but still, impressive job by him. Didn't ever really get rattled.

Reaction Score
Not a Bubba fan…….people I know who work the Travelers say he's standoffish and not very nice in comparison to 90% of the others…….also his little hit and run at Westwoods Golf Course in Farmington a while back while doing a commercial for ESPN pretty much guaranteed people at the Travelers are spot on. Didn't spend time with anyone there and couldn't wait to get out……didn't even say hi and thanks to the PGA professional or autograph a hat for workers……

Sucks he won…...

Reaction Score
I agree, incredibly boring. Golfers are such ingrates, they still fail to realize their paydays are solely due to Tiger. Golf will fall off a cliff again when he quits. So dull, and the Masters is the epitome, rich privileged people rooting for rich privileged people. The only golf I will watch again this year is the Open Championship.

I found that extremely boring, can't believe I wasted a few hours watching it.

Reaction Score
People can hate Tiger all they want, and some don't like Phil either. But it's not as exciting without them……..

The game needs the Fowlers and such to start winning more!

Reaction Score
My guy is jason Day (and his wife), that is my golfer for the next 10-15 years. I actually like Phil because, he, like Tiger, has said his favorite tournament is the Open Championship. Don't like Bubba at all, never have, even before I read your stuff, doesn't surprise me.

People can hate Tiger all they want, and some don't like Phil either. But it's not as exciting without them……..

The game needs the Fowlers and such to start winning more!

Reaction Score
My guy is jason Day (and his wife), that is my golfer for the next 10-15 years. I actually like Phil because, he, like Tiger, has said his favorite tournament is the Open Championship. Don't like Bubba at all, never have, even before I read your stuff, doesn't surprise me.

I like Day also, nice game and will break through eventually. Blixt is fun to watch has some charisma, need more of these guys!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bubba is a real good guy who isn't comfortable in the spotlight. He'll never fit in with the corporate or country club crowd.

He grew up about in a very small town and learned to play by hitting golf balls on a public course. He went to a public high school and never had the advantages of Spieth who was groomed in one of the most prestigious country clubs in the country.

Here in the Florida panhandle there's a tournament called the Divot Derby that is open to anyone who enters. Bubbba won the tournament several times as a junior golfer. After he won the Traveler's and followed it up with the Masters, he funded the tournament for a decade. That's about a $500K commitment. He made it so there wasn't any entry fee and made sure that any kid who was willing was able.

He's also done a ton of work for the military and Wounded Warrior program putting on free clinics and signing plenty of swag for auctions.

It's perfectly predictable that some will find him standoff-ish and aloof. It's not because he doesn't care or is an elitist. He's still not comfortable in the spotlight but the emotions you see him display are genuine.

Reaction Score
That's great, but the spotlight has nothing to do with being an Ah*le to people trying to do their jobs. That's called courtesy.

Also, Bubba's game is one dimensional, I'd be shocked if he wins anything beyond the Masters.

Bubba is a real good guy who isn't comfortable in the spotlight. He'll never fit in with the corporate or country club crowd.

He grew up about in a very small town and learned to play by hitting golf balls on a public course. He went to a public high school and never had the advantages of Spieth who was groomed in one of the most prestigious country clubs in the country.

Here in the Florida panhandle there's a tournament called the Divot Derby that is open to anyone who enters. Bubbba won the tournament several times as a junior golfer. After he won the Traveler's and followed it up with the Masters, he funded the tournament for a decade. That's about a $500K commitment. He made it so there wasn't any entry fee and made sure that any kid who was willing was able.

He's also done a ton of work for the military and Wounded Warrior program putting on free clinics and signing plenty of swag for auctions.

It's perfectly predictable that some will find him standoff-ish and aloof. It's not because he doesn't care or is an elitist. He's still not comfortable in the spotlight but the emotions you see him display are genuine.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bubba won the tournament on the front nine when he took Spieth's best shots and didn't flinch. On 4 and 6 Bubba hit two great shots. Spieth holes out from 30 yards out of a bunker on 4 and Bubba hits the 6 footer to match his birdie. On 6 Bubba hit his tee shot to 12 feet and Spieth responded by hitting his tee shot to 5 feet. Bubba killed the momentum on six by making his birdie first. When Spieth had his first hiccup on 8, Bubba stepped on his throat and never let the pressure off.

Reaction Score
Usually a couple of players make a run in the final round but it didn't happen this year. It was over half way through the final round. Too bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's great, but the spotlight has nothing to do with being an Ah*le to people trying to do their jobs. That's called courtesy.

Also, Bubba's game is one dimensional, I'd be shocked if he wins anything beyond the Masters.

Gotta disagree. Bubba's game is well-suited for the Open and PGA Championships. The US Open will be the hardest for him to win since it rewards straight shooting over creative shooting.

As for him treating some like crap, I'll repeat that his nature is to be guarded and isn't a natural people person. I can attest for amount of charity work he does and money he donates. He doesn't have an act or a schtick and doesn't have an entourage or a posse. The shot of his son walking towards him with open arms on 18 is as genuine as it gets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Usually a couple of players make a run in the final round but it didn't happen this year. It was over half way through the final round. Too bad.

The hard, dry conditions this week flipped the script. It made the usually tougher front 9 more playable and made the back 9 tougher for scoring. I was texting with a few friends during the round and we all noticed that there was about an hour time that elapsed between any cuts to 13, 15 or 16. That was while Bubba and Jordan were finishing 7/8/9. We all noted that the chances for fireworks on the back nine were minimal. 36 on the back nine was going to be a good score.

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Bubba threw his caddy under the bus during a tournament last year as well

Reaction Score
Spieth is 20. Bubba is setup perfect for Augusta, huge wide fairways, can launch.

Bubba has 2 other top 10s in majors. Andy North and Lee Janzen have 2 US Opens and never hear them mentioned as "greats" and same goes to Bubba.

Bubba won the tournament on the front nine when he took Spieth's best shots and didn't flinch. On 4 and 6 Bubba hit two great shots. Spieth holes out from 30 yards out of a bunker on 4 and Bubba hits the 6 footer to match his birdie. On 6 Bubba hit his tee shot to 12 feet and Spieth responded by hitting his tee shot to 5 feet. Bubba killed the momentum on six by making his birdie first. When Spieth had his first hiccup on 8, Bubba stepped on his throat and never let the pressure off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spieth is 20. Bubba is setup perfect for Augusta, huge wide fairways, can launch.

Bubba has 2 other top 10s in majors. Andy North and Lee Janzen have 2 US Opens and never hear them mentioned as "greats" and same goes to Bubba.

And Justin Leonard has two US Opens, etc. Some players games are more set up for a type of major. Bubba needs open chutes off the tee. But he can shape a fade or a draw, has great imagination around the green and is a good enough putter to win Augusta twice.

He probably isn't winning 10 majors, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't grab at least one Open and one PGA championship in his career.

Reaction Score
Didn't spend time with anyone there and couldn't wait to get out……didn't even say hi and thanks to the PGA professional or autograph a hat for workers……
There's a huge amount of judgment in your post. You have no idea what this guy was thinking at the time. Maybe he had family issues. In any event, he's got a right to his life. What says he has to "thank" the PGA guy or sign stuff for people? Why does that make him a bad person? You infer that he is "standoffish," which means "distant and unfriendly." Maybe the guy just doesn't want to interact with strangers who value names on hats. Maybe he really values his privacy.

Golfers are such ingrates, they still fail to realize their paydays are solely due to Tiger.
Wow. Just such a huge, sweeping comment, and broadly tarring a whole group. BTW - every golfer - to a man, understands the value of Tiger to their paychecks. There is a reason that they all support him and only a couple guys came out and said what they thought of what he did to his wife and family.

It's really not a good thing to impute negative characteristics to men you've never met, and who you know virtually nothing about.

Post above says that BW committed a half a million to a public golf tournament. What the he11 have you done to make this world a better place that even comes close to what he has done already, still very early in his career?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bubba has been a good participant for the Traveler's too since it was his first tour win. I'd really like to see him keep coming back for the next 3-5 years to help lend major credibility to the tourney.

Reaction Score

If you don't recognize Bubba as a great player I have no any idea what it would take for you to recognize greatness.

Reaction Score
If I made $15-20mil+/year I'd hope I'd give back more than $50k annually, especially when it's a tax deduction. I still fail to understand how that allows him to treat people like chit.

We'll see if Tiger congratulates Bubba on Twitter, it will speak volumes if he doesn't.

M
There's a huge amount of judgment in your post. You have no idea what this guy was thinking at the time. Maybe he had family issues. In any event, he's got a right to his life. What says he has to "thank" the PGA guy or sign stuff for people? Why does that make him a bad person? You infer that he is "standoffish," which means "distant and unfriendly." Maybe the guy just doesn't want to interact with strangers who value names on hats. Maybe he really values his privacy.

Wow. Just such a huge, sweeping comment, and broadly tarring a whole group. BTW - every golfer - to a man, understands the value of Tiger to their paychecks. There is a reason that they all support him and only a couple guys came out and said what they thought of what he did to his wife and family.

It's really not a good thing to impute negative characteristics to men you've never met, and who you know virtually nothing about.

Post above says that BW committed a half a million to a public golf tournament. What the he11 have you done to make this world a better place that even comes close to what he has done already, still very early in his career?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Being a Ct transplant in the south, I am not a fan of Bubba. To me he is the typical good ole boy who went to UGA. He has come out against gay marriage and said being gay is a sin. It is okay that he is very religious, but it doesn't make me a fan of his.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
His bunker shot from the fairway bunker on #1 was ridiculous. Ball above his feet and he nearly
If I made $15-20mil+/year I'd hope I'd give back more than $50k annually, especially when it's a tax deduction. I still fail to understand how that allows him to treat people like chit.

We'll see if Tiger congratulates Bubba on Twitter, it will speak volumes if he doesn't.

M

I'll bite. What does Tiger's endorsement on twitter or lack there of have to do with anything?

It was about 5 years ago that Tiger saw how Bubba could hit on the driving range that got Bubba in to Tiger's posse of practice round players. Tiger saw how Bubba could hit and shape shots and they made a connection.

I'll be interested to see what Phil says on Twitter since they're both lefties and both live in Arizona now (not really, but what they hell).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

M

BTW, when you do make $15M-$20M a year we'll all be sure to judge you to what charities you donate to and to what extent you donate. Be ready to feel our wrath if you don't meet our expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom