BTN New York ratings kind of skimpy for PSU v. Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BTN New York ratings kind of skimpy for PSU v. Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Aren't we confusing rating with share. Isn't a ratings point roughly 1M homes regardless of market, while a share is a percentage of TV sets in a particular subset whether it's national or local market?

Otherwise, what would be the point of having a metric that isn't consistent across different size DMA's.

If I'm correct, a 2.2 sucks while a 4.4 is decent for a regular season CFB in the local market. What are comparable numbers for CT?

Reaction Score
Local ratings are the percentage share.

Our 2.2 in NYC was 164,143 'homes'.

That would be a 16.4 in Hartford.

Reaction Score
The game did a 2.2 rating.

This doesn't bode well for expansion. I've seen national surveys in the past for PSU showing it has a huge fanbase in NYC. And if a game against Rutgers can't do better than 2.2, then you have to wonder about the future of BTN there.

I know BTN is a small channel compared to all the others, Network and Sports, but it is available on all the cable systems there. And you'd think there would be more interested fans who actually like these two teams than just a 2.2 rating.

2.2 is a good number for top college basketball teams in NYC. But for a Rutgers v. Penn State game. It is low.

I bet a Syracuse v. UConn bball game on ESPN2 beats that 2.2 number.

Not really responding to this post as much as this thread. For some reason I cannot activate the text control doing it the right way.

I think it is obviously a good rating given the channel

I think it is obvious that the Rutgers add is producing positive results for b1g in terms of NYC exposure

I think it is obvious that this helps more than hurts the uconn bball value prop for consideration as a future b1g expansion candidate

I love hating NJ as much as everyone, but we clearly need to be rooting for more (good) results like this.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I also think its a pretty good number. This is a new network to this region. Many sports fans, even the kind of dudes who listen to WFAN 10 hrs a day, haven't noticed the BTN is now in their cable package. And unfortunately, as JayRU09 has pointed out, low numbers in NYC are equal to remarkable numbers in Hartford.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I also think its a pretty good number. This is a new network to this region. Many sports fans, even the kind of dudes who listen to WFAN 10 hrs a day, haven't noticed the BTN is now in their cable package. And unfortunately, as JayRU09 has pointed out, low numbers in NYC are equal to remarkable numbers in Hartford.

The thing is, UConn men/women do draw those types of numbers for bball in Hartford/New Haven. Hopefully, BTN relizes that seven homes games a year isn't enough and that Rutgers basketball is an absolute dud all winter.

Reaction Score
Not really responding to this post as much as this thread. For some reason I cannot activate the text control doing it the right way.

I think it is obviously a good rating given the channel

I think it is obvious that the Rutgers add is producing positive results for b1g in terms of NYC exposure

I think it is obvious that this helps more than hurts the uconn bball value prop for consideration as a future b1g expansion candidate

I love hating NJ as much as everyone, but we clearly need to be rooting for more (good) results like this.

I agree. The B1G isn't kicking Rutgers out so we should stop bashing them and hope that they succeed and the B1G sees the value of adding more to their NE presence.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The thing is, UConn men/women do draw those types of numbers for bball in Hartford/New Haven. Hopefully, BTN relizes that seven homes games a year isn't enough and that Rutgers basketball is an absolute dud all winter.
Yep, that's certainly UConn's angle. Plus, UConn in the B1G should help give the conference more weight in the battle between the ACC and B1G for northeast media attention.

Reaction Score

UConn women did a 4.6 in NYC for the Final 4.

Reaction Score
I agree. The B1G isn't kicking Rutgers out so we should stop bashing them and hope that they succeed and the B1G sees the value of adding more to their NE presence.

Is someone bashing Rutgers here?

Reaction Score
Hope we succeed in football and continue to be bad n basketball.

That's the best situation for UCONN right now.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Hope we succeed in football and continue to be bad n basketball.

That's the best situation for UCONN right now.

True. But we also need to work on our house and get back to at least 'competent' at football.

I also think that hockey is going to be a huge success, which would bode well for BTN winter programming.

Reaction Score
Oh most definitely you guys need to start making some waves in football. For anyone on the outside looking in now I think you need to have that one big thing to sell that no one else brings to the table but to also show up in every other category.

BTN needs better ads as well to really get that money train rolling, and having a continuous presence in the NYC metro (from August through March and not just August through November) would definitely bring better advertising revenue.

Hell the more I think about the more that UCONN becomes the next man up over Cincy because of basketball ratings. Now fix your football (loving the scheduling btw) and everything should fall into place.

Reaction Score
Oh most definitely you guys need to start making some waves in football. For anyone on the outside looking in now I think you need to have that one big thing to sell that no one else brings to the table but to also show up in every other category.

BTN needs better ads as well to really get that money train rolling, and having a continuous presence in the NYC metro (from August through March and not just August through November) would definitely bring better advertising revenue.

Hell the more I think about the more that UCONN becomes the next man up over Cincy because of basketball ratings. Now fix your football (loving the scheduling btw) and everything should fall into place.

Over Cincy? Huh?

Newsflash: Rutgers didn't get picked because of good football or basketball.

Reaction Score
Newsflash: What the heck are you talking about? Why are you guys just so adamant about turning every topic featuring Rutgers into 'lolz they gots teh cable boxers!'.

I meant next man up in conference realignment, not just for the Big Ten. No way Cincy is going to the Big Ten.

I think that if their is continued success for Rutgers in the ratings for the BTN than the next conference to expand will be the Big Ten and not the Big XII. Because I think they will realize that if they can continue to pump out good ratings in the NYC metro through basketball season and not just football season then advertising revenues would jump immensely.

It's too much money to leave on the table imo.

Reaction Score
Newsflash: What the heck are you talking about? Why are you guys just so adamant about turning every topic featuring Rutgers into 'lolz they gots teh cable boxers!'.

I meant next man up in conference realignment, not just for the Big Ten. No way Cincy is going to the Big Ten.

I think that if their is continued success for Rutgers in the ratings for the BTN than the next conference to expand will be the Big Ten and not the Big XII. Because I think they will realize that if they can continue to pump out good ratings in the NYC metro through basketball season and not just football season then advertising revenues would jump immensely.

It's too much money to leave on the table imo.

WTH are you talking about?

This is what you wrote: "Hell the more I think about the more that UCONN becomes the next man up over Cincy because of basketball ratings. Now fix your football (loving the scheduling btw) and everything should fall into place."

Hw else was I supposed to read that?

Reaction Score
Like how I just explained to you, if you didn't understand it I'm sorry for not typing out my thoughts clearly enough.

But I clarified it.

Cincy or UCF or whoever is thought by many to be the next man up in overall conference realignment because many think that the Big XII needs to expand quickly to get a championship game.

I now think that the Big Ten has a very good argument to expand quickly with UCONN because the next step in them making gobs of cash is upping advertising revenue, and the quickest way to do that is to have a presence in the NYC metro market from August through March and not just August through November.

Got it?

Reaction Score
Like how I just explained to you, if you didn't understand it I'm sorry for not typing out my thoughts clearly enough.

But I clarified it.

Cincy or UCF or whoever is thought by many to be the next man up in overall conference realignment because many think that the Big XII needs to expand quickly to get a championship game.

I now think that the Big Ten has a very good argument to expand quickly with UCONN because the next step in them making gobs of cash is upping advertising revenue, and the quickest way to do that is to have a presence in the NYC metro market from August through March and not just August through November.

Got it?

How on earth?

Yeah, you clarified it now, next time I'll put on my Kreskin hat to try and figure out that you were talking about the B12 expanding with Cincy.

The fact of the matter is that Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers didn't have a leg up on UConn when it came to football, and certainly not when it came to basketball. But Rutgers was taken because of your great market. That's what matters most to right-thinking commissioners. And this is something that Cincy doesn't have.

Reaction Score
UConn does deliver the Connecticut market, but whether the B1G wants that in the future will be for them to decide. For that night going up against ND, on prime time, the RU/PSU game pulled in a very respectable rating.

Reaction Score
UConn does deliver the Connecticut market, but whether the B1G wants that in the future will be for them to decide. For that night going up against ND, on prime time, the RU/PSU game pulled in a very respectable rating.

ND/Purdue also had the benefit of being on network tv.

Reaction Score
Aren't we confusing rating with share. Isn't a ratings point roughly 1M homes regardless of market, while a share is a percentage of TV sets in a particular subset whether it's national or local market?

Rating = Percent of Households with a TV
Share = Percent of Households that are watching TV at that time

Reaction Score
How on earth?

Yeah, you clarified it now, next time I'll put on my Kreskin hat to try and figure out that you were talking about the B12 expanding with Cincy.

The fact of the matter is that Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers didn't have a leg up on UConn when it came to football, and certainly not when it came to basketball. But Rutgers was taken because of your great market. That's what matters most to right-thinking commissioners. And this is something that Cincy doesn't have.

The Cincinnati market is actually a better version of the Louisville market: larger in size, much better athletic recruiting grounds, and consistently one of the top markets in the country for *both* college football and college basketball TV ratings. Ohio is also the best football recruiting state outside of the Sun Belt with only one in-state P5 competitor (albeit a behemoth in Ohio State), compared to other places that might look good on paper but face a ton more in-state competition (i.e. any schools in the states of Florida, Texas, California or North Carolina). Cincinnati would actually have the best demographics (meaning a combo of TV market and football recruiting grounds) out of any non-Texas-based school in the Big 12. So, I wouldn't underestimate the potential attractiveness of Cincinnati to the Big 12 (both the market and the athletic program itself), especially when they'd act as a geographic bridge between WVU and the rest of the conference.

Reaction Score
The Cincinnati market is actually a better version of the Louisville market: larger in size, much better athletic recruiting grounds, and consistently one of the top markets in the country for *both* college football and college basketball TV ratings. Ohio is also the best football recruiting state outside of the Sun Belt with only one in-state P5 competitor (albeit a behemoth in Ohio State), compared to other places that might look good on paper but face a ton more in-state competition (i.e. any schools in the states of Florida, Texas, California or North Carolina). Cincinnati would actually have the best demographics (meaning a combo of TV market and football recruiting grounds) out of any non-Texas-based school in the Big 12. So, I wouldn't underestimate the potential attractiveness of Cincinnati to the Big 12 (both the market and the athletic program itself), especially when they'd act as a geographic bridge between WVU and the rest of the conference.

Totally irrelevant though to the conversation. No one here is contesting what he said about Cincy's attractiveness to the B12. It was the earlier statement that I questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom