BTN New York ratings kind of skimpy for PSU v. Rutgers | The Boneyard

BTN New York ratings kind of skimpy for PSU v. Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game did a 2.2 rating.

This doesn't bode well for expansion. I've seen national surveys in the past for PSU showing it has a huge fanbase in NYC. And if a game against Rutgers can't do better than 2.2, then you have to wonder about the future of BTN there.

I know BTN is a small channel compared to all the others, Network and Sports, but it is available on all the cable systems there. And you'd think there would be more interested fans who actually like these two teams than just a 2.2 rating.

2.2 is a good number for top college basketball teams in NYC. But for a Rutgers v. Penn State game. It is low.

I bet a Syracuse v. UConn bball game on ESPN2 beats that 2.2 number.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
A single game rating will have no effect on future expansion. If anything, poor ratings show the B1G that MORE expansion would be needed to entice tri-staters to watch.

Hey Jim (because I just know that he monitors the Boneyard), UCONN/Michigan drew a 3.1 last year when we were a miserable 0-2 and had the worst coach in our program's history. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Solid ratings IMO

Does everyone here realize I am talking about NYC ratings and not national ratings?

2.2 is indeed a solid national number. But this 2.2 is for NYC.

For instance, the UConn women's bball team in last year's F4 more than doubled that number.

Reaction Score
Does everyone here realize I am talking about NYC ratings and not national ratings?

For instance, the UConn women's bball team in last year's F4 more than doubled that number.

Yes & 2.2 in NYC is greater than the 1.7 that Notre Dame drew on network TV. Rightfully take shots at Rutgers (which they deserve) but a 2.2 rating on a Saturday night, on a conference network is a very good number.

Trust me, the folks at the BTN are very happy

Dooley

Reaction Score

No, I most certainly did not realize you were talking about a NYC rating. That is a no bueno NYC number. Yikes! My bad, upstater!

EDIT: I forgot this was on BTN. Not ABC/ESPiN. 2.2 doesn't seem so bad now.

Reaction Score
Yes & 2.2 in NYC is greater than the 1.7 that Notre Dame drew on network TV. Rightfully take shots at Rutgers (which they deserve) but a 2.2 rating on a Saturday night, on a conference network is a very good number.

Trust me, the folks at the BTN are very happy

PSU and Rutgers though. ND was playing Purdue. When Harris used to do the pol, PSU was right there with ND in NYC.

When you come right down to it, with those low numbers, the only people watching these football games are the hardcore fans. That's why I tend to dismiss the difference between BTN and any other channel. BTN is now freely available on the basic tiers of all cable companies (or so we've been told). A fan of these teams is going to know that.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The game drew a very good Philly rating. 4.4. Probably because of a larger PSU fanbase in Philly than NYC. But a good number nonetheless.

Does anyone know if the BTN is on basic cable in Philly? I assume that they are but am too lazy to research. I think that should be UCONN's TV angle: we can deliver NYC, Boston and Hartford/New Haven ratings. It doesn't have to be true...most of CR stuff is bogus propaganda anyway. But I think it would be difficult to dismiss the notion that UCONN *could* deliver these 3 markets (not sure if Springfield, MA is its own market or in the Hartford DMA but if they are on their own, throw them in as bonus!).

Reaction Score
I am curious what NYC's "typical" college football ratings are, and I'll be interested to see ratings as the year plays out. As has been said here, supposedly NYC has lots of ND fans, RU alums, and other B1G followers.

Reaction Score
Tangentially related to this, but I noticed that last weekend's BSU vs UConn game wasn't an ABC game in NYC - they showed the OSU vs Kent State game instead.

Is this a side effect from the increased presence in NJ? A bit surprising that it got bumped such a poor OOC game, even if it is OSU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFBmaps/2014-espn-college-football-tv-maps
It wasn't an ABC game in Southeast Ct. Heck most of the first half I was getting the OSU game on both channel 8 and ESPN 2

pj

Reaction Score
For BTN, that's a good rating. Most people don't know how to find odd or new cable channels. Look back at how Big East basketball did on Fox Sports 1. Great matchups there got far worse ratings than crap games on ESPN2.

I'm sure the BTN is happy that 2.2% of viewers in NYC found their network, and are optimistic that more will find it in the future.

pj

Reaction Score
Tangentially related to this, but I noticed that last weekend's BSU vs UConn game wasn't an ABC game in NYC - they showed the OSU vs Kent State game instead.

Is this a side effect from the increased presence in NJ? A bit surprising that it got bumped such a poor OOC game, even if it is OSU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFBmaps/2014-espn-college-football-tv-maps

It is a bit surprising, but the NYC DMA is something like 50% NY, 40% New Jersey, 10% Connecticut, and UConn football hasn't yet attracted many fans outside the state of Connecticut (except a fraction of alumni and former Connecticut residents). As a relatively recent football program we still have growing to do. I'm not surprised they started with Ohio State but I am surprised they wouldn't switch over when the OSU game turns into a blowout. But maybe the ESPN2 deal meant that they couldn't easily switch, ESPN2 wanted the audience.

UConn in basketball would draw heavily in NYC and the football program has the potential to do the same if it steps up its performance.

Reaction Score

Given that the NYC DMA is Rutgers' native DMA, I can see that it would follow that NYC will now always get B1G home games over AAC/MWC/ACC/XII/Pac/MAC/SEC home games at the same time slot. (Although maybe I am thinking too much like the NFL's distribution model.)

Reaction Score
Given that the NYC DMA is Rutgers' native DMA, I can see that it would follow that NYC will now always get B1G home games over AAC/MWC/ACC/XII/Pac/MAC/SEC home games at the same time slot. (Although maybe I am thinking too much like the NFL's distribution model.)

Disney properties will likely try & promote B1G games in the NY DMA in an effort to demonstrate their interest in retaining as much of their rights as possible for the upcoming contract

pj

Reaction Score
The NYC DMA appears to include Fairfield County Connecticut but nothing else in Connecticut.
dma-li.jpg

From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area

The New York metropolitan statistical area (MSA) doesn't include Connecticut at all and has 19.9 million people. The Combined Statistical Area adds 1.7 million Connecticut folks into the 23.5 million mega-region for 7% Connecticut. However, half of those are in New Haven County and out of reach of NYC TV. So the NYC DMA with 0.9 mn Connecticut residents and close to 20 million total is probably less than 5% Connecticut residents.

I'm sure that 5% was far more interested in UConn-Boise State than Ohio State-Kent State, but the other 95% might well be more drawn to the Ohio State name, especially now that Rutgers is in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I think what is critical here is that Rutgers University is located in Middlesex County, New Jersey, within the NYC DMA. The only other FBS school located in the NYC DMA is Army (Orange County, New York). I think that dictates that "Rutgers" (and therefore the entire NYC DMA) "should" (and will) see "their (B1G) conference" on TV at all times, regardless of conflict with other conferences.

While I think ESPN would go to great lengths to avoid a conflict, I'll bet that UMiami/ACC takes precedence over UFlorida/SEC _in_the_Miami_DMA (in the event of conflict)... UFlorida/SEC probably takes precedence over UMiami/ACC in the adjacent _West_Palm_Beach_and_Fort_Myers_DMAs, but UMiami will take precedence in their native DMA. Pretty sure about that, but not 100% certain.

Reaction Score
You do realize it was the highest rated BIG Network game in NYC history and the #1 game that day in NYC? BIGN folks were doing cartwheels.

Reaction Score
The value of UConn to the BTN is what may drive to an invite. They will need content of value and our basketball content will fill hours when most people are inside enjoying winter.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You do realize it was the highest rated BIG Network game in NYC history and the #1 game that day in NYC? BIGN folks were doing cartwheels.
Isn't it the first year for the BTN on most of the NYC carriers?

Reaction Score

I would have thought RU-PSU would get much better numbers.

Like I said, those are great national numbers, but there is no hometown impact there.

Reaction Score
Isn't it the first year for the BTN on most of the NYC carriers?

Exactly. #1 football broadcast of all time in NYC. Also the first football broadcast ever of PSU or RU for BTN under its expanded footprint.

pj

Reaction Score
But 2.2 is a very competitive rating for a city that is said not to watch college sports and an unfamiliar network. If I were Delany I'd be very happy. He has to feel that with time in the NYC market he can double his viewership.

Reaction Score
A few things.......

A 2.2 in NYC is more people than a 4.4 in Philly.

That 2.2 was higher than the Notre Dame game (which was on network television, that's a gigantic advantage). That Notre Dame game was close at the half, and also that same opponent gave Notre Dame it's third highest rating last year (which was also a network game).

BTN just went to more basic tiers in the NYC area on August 28th. Going to cite the Fox Sports 1 argument another posted provided earlier.

If it was a disappointing rating, I highly doubt that the BTN would be so quick to trumpet this number.

So it's another checkmark for us. Highest NYC rating on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU ESPNNews, SNY, and now the BTN.

As for conference realignment, I think this helps the cause for UCONN. It shows that people in the NYC metro will try to find the network and I'm willing to bet that they would love those kind of ratings in the winter for basketball in the area, women's basketball as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom